Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
NWest

Possible bent axel 2012 230 Bullet

I am new to travel trailers but seem to be plagued with issues on a new Bullet unit. My axels or wheels seem to be out of alignment (visually).I notice it usually after backing in to a parking spot. The unit pulls great with no sway but with 200 miles of towing, the tires seem to have unusual wear on them. Is there any aftermarket parts that I could purchase?
NWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
mguay

It's not that common for one to be able to "See" an alignment issue. I suspect what you have noticed is the common thing known as "Axle Drag". It happens when you stop while turning. You don't have to turn sharp to notice it. If you didn't back in, in a perfectly straight line, sometimes you will notice it. It is that both axles are not in a correct tract with each other and one will appear to be bent.
This doesn't mean that you don't have an alignment issue.
You stated that the tires are wearing funny.....How many miles on them? Are they balanced? Inflation?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

NWest -
If you could provide a bit more detail about your tire wear, that would help. Is it on the inside? Outside? Cupped? Or?? On one or both tires?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
NWest

My tire wear seems to be on the outside of the tread, I checked my preasure cold and it was 50psi. I have noticed that when backing with the trailer jacked hard the axels do seem to be out of place. My mileage on the tires are about 200. I spoke to the dealer today and they want to take a look at it, to check allignment and tire wear. The trailer pulls great with no sway even under breaking. I noticed the axel the last time out and it concerned me. I have pulled it with a F150 and a new Tacoma and both pull and stop well with it. Thanks for the responses as a newbie to the travel trailer, I had alot of concerns to make sure im safe on the road.
NWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Wear on the inside and outside is often caused by under-inflation. If the outside shows signs of smooth wear on one side, that could be due to a loss of camber or over-loading. It may be wise to have your alignment checked in this case.
If you checked your tires (15 in) and they are at 50 lbs., they are under-inflated. Not sure what your tire size is so am guessing they are 15 in.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
...If you checked your tires and they are at 50 lbs., they are under-inflated. Not sure what type of tires you have but in most cases, they should be at 65 lbs. I'd check the specs on the tire rims to make sure.
May not be under inflated. A lighter trailer like his may only have a 50 PSI load range C tire on it.

Check the sidewall for maximum rating... And then the load range placard.

I tend to use the max for the tire.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Momamac

Tire pressure...

I have a Passport 300bh with 14 inchers...pressure is 50 pounds.
Tow Maxx website shows 65 pounds once you get into the 15"
2006 GMC Sierra SLT Crew VortecMax 6.0L 4:10's
Husky Centerline / Tekonsha Prodigy P2
Momamac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent axel