Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
texasAUtiger

Input from those with kids...

we are a family of four (2 kids, both under 6) and who has not owned a TT before. We really like the Bullets because the size/weight specs match up for our half-ton truck serving as a TV.

We have it narrowed down to these three and would like to hear from others with similar sized families, both pros and cons:
  • Bullet 230BHS
    Our take: smallest, lightest, probably cheapest. Will we feel too cramped and want a sofa? Bunks too narrow (as kids grow)?
  • Bullet 246RBS
    Our take: medium in size, weight, cost. Wife really likes the 2nd door and larger bath, but will converting dinette and sofa to beds and back each night/morning get old real quick?
  • Bullet 281BHS
    Our take: biggest in size, weight, and cost. Like the second door and *double* bunks (as kids get bigger). Overkill for a family of 4 with sofa, dinette, and 2 double bunks? 31 ft+ makes this rookie tower more nervous. On the other hand, if we don't go this size now, will we wish we did in a couple of years?

Like I said, I'd love to hear thoughts from experienced, family campers on these three---both positives and negatives of each.

Thanks!
texasAUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Roberson4

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasAUtiger View Post
we are a family of four (2 kids, both under 6) and who has not owned a TT before. We really like the Bullets because the size/weight specs match up for our half-ton truck serving as a TV.

We have it narrowed down to these three and would like to hear from others with similar sized families, both pros and cons:
  • Bullet 230BHS
    Our take: smallest, lightest, probably cheapest. Will we feel too cramped and want a sofa? Bunks too narrow (as kids grow)? YES
  • Bullet 246RBS
    Our take: medium in size, weight, cost. Wife really likes the 2nd door and larger bath, but will converting dinette and sofa to beds and back each night/morning get old real quick? YES
  • Bullet 281BHS
    Our take: biggest in size, weight, and cost. Like the second door and *double* bunks (as kids get bigger). Overkill for a family of 4 with sofa, dinette, and 2 double bunks? 31 ft+ makes this rookie tower more nervous. On the other hand, if we don't go this size now, will we wish we did in a couple of years?
I don't believe it is 'overkill'. I believe it is just right. You probably won't be 'more nervous' for long.

Like I said, I'd love to hear thoughts from experienced, family campers on these three---both positives and negatives of each.

Thanks!
If your kids are anything like ours the 'extra for now' bunks will help hold 'blankies', stuffed animals, extra friends etc.

Always remember when looking for a camper. None of your stuff is in there, and they fill up fast.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
f6bits

The dinette makes for a lousy bed and it really is a hassle to convert them nightly. Bunks are great because 1) It’s the kid’s own space, and 2) It’s always available for napping. I’ve even used the 28x74 bunk for a nap when the baby hogs our queen bed.

The 230BHS is nice, but a little small. We definitely like having a couch. The dinette isn’t good for lounging.

From your list, I really like the 281BHS, though that few extra feet may limit you at some campgrounds. It’s also about $10k more than what I paid for mine. Keystone’s site floor plan looks a little different from one I see for sale here.

From my list, naturally I recommend like what I have: Passport 2650BHWE
An upgrade would be the Cougar X-Light 26BHSWE

I find my setup to be perfect. It’s an excellent match to our half-ton, it has lots of interior floor space, and has all the amenities we need. I’ve looked at many other Keystones and I always come back to this floor plan. There are more upscale ones with the same floor plan, but they’re just prettier and heavier without offering much in the way of additional features.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
texasAUtiger

Thank you for the replies.

Scott, when you have time would you comment on your tow experience with the truck and trailer in your sig, since mine would be similar? Care to share the typical tongue weight of loaded trailer, weight of passengers/stuff in cab, and max payload for your truck and how it all behaves in real world conditions?

Thanks for your help.
texasAUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
f6bits

I just posted something a day or two ago after my camping trip, but I’ll try to summarize:
For the return trip, I loaded the trailer as badly as I could – full tank of fresh water and all our belongings packed front to midway back in the trailer. This raised the front end of my TV an extra half inch above normal towing config and dropped the rear about an inch below normal towing config. I had about 300 lbs to spare in payload and rear axle.

Tongue was about 850 when it’s normally 650 on a 5700 lb properly loaded trailer with only 5 gallons of fresh water. My truck allows for about 1300lb payload on top of a full tank of gas. With an empty bed, the passengers and some gear are about 400 lbs.

I haven’t taken it on any long steep hills, but the setup can easily maintain 62mph for the roads I’ve been on so far.

So that’s the bad/good news. Bad setup and the truck still was within limits.

Even then, and when properly loaded and set up, it’s fine. For about the first fifteen minutes I’m somewhat conscious of pulling the trailer. After that, I really don’t notice much other than a slightly rougher ride over the bumpy stuff and the occasional side push (not sway) when something big passes me.

For my 147” wheelbase, it’s the perfect length paring. No see-sawing and no sway.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

I would go with the largest one your vehicle can safely handle. 99% of campers end up going bigger on the 2nd one for a reason.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
fireidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
I would go with the largest one your vehicle can safely handle. 99% of campers end up going bigger on the 2nd one for a reason.
I agree with the above statement. We started with a popup, then moved to a 30 ft travel trailer with bunks (no slide) and my kids are now 9 & 12. The bunks are a god send. It's a pain to keep converting the dinette or couch. Do to an unforeseen hail storm we are upgrading to a Xlite 29RBK. Otherwise, I would have waited another 3-4 years before taking the plunge. One nice thing about bunks is when friends come along, they have a place to sleep. We had a double bunk on the bottom and a single on top. And if you get a double bottom bunk, usually there is a tremendous amount of storage under there.
fireidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
johnnyrose

Smile

Quote:

• Bullet 230BHS
    Our take: smallest, lightest, probably cheapest. Will we feel too cramped and want a sofa? Bunks too narrow (as kids grow)?
  • Bullet 246RBS
    Our take: medium in size, weight, cost. Wife really likes the 2nd door and larger bath, but will converting dinette and sofa to beds and back each night/morning get old real quick?
  • Bullet 281BHS

Thanks!
Tiger,

We just bought our first camper as well. We went with a budget friendly, "new-to-us", '05 Cougar 254 EFS. Our main concern was the bunks. We have four children and neede this space for them. To be honest we could have used a little more space. Our trailer is only 28 feet long so there isn't a ton of room to move around inside, but even so we don't feel cramped in it. That all being said if given the chance to go back I would have found one with four bunks so I didn't have to convert the dinette every night and morning, even though it isn't a lot of work to do it, and I would have gotten a longer unit. With 6 people the one we have is a little small. I will upgrade at some point when the budget allows down the line. I will be getting a bigger one! Just my two cents. Go with the big one so you don't have to buy another one.

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
muddynoll

We bought our Passport 2910BH for the same reasons. Moved up from a Jayco 232. I like that the 2910 has 4 bunks and all 4 are 32 inches wide , un like some modles which are narrow on one side.The extra bunke are coming in handy now that the kids are bringing friends along. They love the bunks.At the end of the day it comes down to what fits your needs the best and your TV can handle. Good luck
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Halibutman214

Quote:

• Bullet 230BHS
  • Bullet 246RBS
  • Bullet 281BHS

Thanks!
#1 Get the bunks! #2 As was already said get the biggest you can safely haul and this DOES NOT necessarily mean what your truck is rated for. You have two small kids. From what you selected I would go with the 230BH but I also have to ask if you looked at the Passport 2650BH. The 2650 is absolutely as big as I would go with a 1/2 ton.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Philip Saran

Get enough space for all your family the first time if you can.

That said, if you can keep it at 30-31 feet it makes it easier to get
into National & State parks. When you go way big you loose that
choice since most NP & SP where built back when TT were smaller.

My previous TT was a Terry 24 ft (27 total) Ok for 2 people, but
not really for more.

Next came a truck camper 10 foot on 8 ft truck bed, OK but wife
did not like climbing up into bed each night and down again during
the night to use the loo.

Our new to us Springdale sleeps 6 (queen bed, couch with air
mattress and banquet that seats about 7 and will sleep 1 or 2.
and we stay at 28'-11" total length and it weights in at 7700 max
gross.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
DTJ9610

We have a family of 5 (3 boys) and started out in a Jayco 17 foot hybrid (beds folded out). It was our 1st step into camping and a) I was towing with a Toyota Sienna (yes minivan) & b) I didn't want to break the bank open with fear that we wouldn't like it. Low and behold we fell in love. 7mo later I had a new truck and jumped into a Laredo 303TG (35ft). Is it a bit overkill for the 5 of us, maybe, but we have plenty of room to grow into. In addition we are always taking one of the kids friends and at one point last year had 6 boys spending the weekend, yet never seemed to be in eachother's way. As a few of the others mentioned, you will want the sofa and the 2nd door into the bathroom, as you will find out with boys, is a lifesaver. So the questions are.

1) Will the TV pull the biggest one you are looking at (sorry if I missed the thread with the specs).
2) Is it within your budget.

It's easier to move up than down, but if you can do it right the 1st time you should be set.

Good luck.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
The Sod Father

A wise man once told me, buy your 2nd trailer first. Ergo, get something you will grow into. Looks like the consensus is to go with the 3rd option, but I would also suggest one other factor in your buying decision - friends. As your kids get older, they will want to bring along friends. That was the impetus for my moving from an F-150 to an Expedition. Hauling 4 kids and a 100lb dog limited me to what I could use a tow vehicle.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
E597283

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddynoll View Post
We bought our Passport 2910BH for the same reasons. Moved up from a Jayco 232. I like that the 2910 has 4 bunks and all 4 are 32 inches wide , un like some modles which are narrow on one side.The extra bunke are coming in handy now that the kids are bringing friends along. They love the bunks.At the end of the day it comes down to what fits your needs the best and your TV can handle. Good luck
I have this model as well. I like the added storage between bunks and yours kids will eventually want to bring other kids camping and the four bunks are great. You don’t want to have to be using the dinette or sofa for sleeping. I pull it with a 1/2 ton Yukon and it’s not an issue. Have a spate bunkhouse is a great family feature. I think is you go to small or cheaper you will quickly wish you had bought larger unit.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
cumminsdad08

don't let the "narrow" bunks fool ya. i am 6 foot 185lbs, and can crawl into the bunks and just about stretch out. i have two kids and three dogs. OPEN FLOOR PLAN IS A MUST. it really comes in handy when the weather is crappy. you also have to remember, that you are camping, not staying in a resort, it will be a little un-comfy, but that is what makes it fun and builds memories. it is very important to have your own "room". someplace you can close the door, or pull the curtain across and hide for a few min, or hours, or days. i have a similar set up as your first choice, just a bunch longer, and we are happy with it. we often take both my niece and nephew with us, at the same time. they usually crash on the couch or on the floor. so that is two adults, four kids, under 7, and 3 dogs. and we always have a blast. most of the time the kids are two burned out to care where they fall asleep.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Zeb

Quote:

• Bullet 230BHS
  • Bullet 246RBS
  • Bullet 281BHS

Thanks!
We just got our first TT, upgrading from a pop-up we had for 12 years. Like you we are a family of 4 but more often than not we are 7 (YES we fit 4 adults and 3 children in a pop-up!) The Bullet 281BHS was on our short list as well as the Passport 2650BH. Ultimately we went with the Passport 2910. Here were the points that swayed our decision:

Bullet 281BHS
Pros:
-weight / length
-exterior access door to the bathroom
-air sleeper sofa
Cons:
-2 double bunk beds could potentially cause issues in the future (i.e. who sleeps with who?)
-max load on top bunk is 300lbs. No way I would trust two adults sleeping there if required
-not a full slide out (only 1.5 to 2 ft...but that does keep the weight down)
-kitchen on slide out has more potential for plumbing problems in the future.

Passport 2650BH
Pros:
-weight / length
-full 3 ft slide out
-spacious floorplan
Cons:
-bunk beds only 28" wide
-could sleep 7 but no extra room for any friends
-felt I would run out of room quickly and hence regret not getting something slightly bigger.

We finally went with the 2910 (after asking many questions on this forum!!!) which I found address most of the cons I found with the other two models but I was concerned about towing something that long. Figured since we typically do not go more than 1 to 3 hours away on mostly flat county and invested in a good WDH (Equalizer 1000/10000) we should be ok. After towing it a couple of time, I feel totally secure...but admit we will probably need a 3/4 truck if we decide on a cross county trip to Montreal to Florida.

Hope this helps!
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
TV 2005 Dodge Durango V8 5.7 Hemi
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Famof4

So our story is similar to a lot of folks here. Last summer after lots of bad weather and different "memories" (read mishaps) we made the move from a Fleetwood Utah pop-up to our current Summerland 2600TB. A few of our musts were bunks for the kids, a couch and a permanent bed for us. We did not want to go up and down with a dinette or a couch as our bed. At the time we were towing with a V8 Mercury Mountaineer, so weight and length were both a factor. With that said, we did not consider models with a slide.

So several lessons from this.
1) Think about how you are going to use the trailer not just now, but in the future. Look at several models. Get one that will be good for your family and how you camp.
2) Make sure you are comfortable with the match-up of your tow vehicle and trailer.
3) Buy your second (or third or fourth) trailer first.
Sheldon the black lab '12
'13 Springdale BHSS294
'10 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6L
E2 Equilizer Hitch
Famof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
Momamac

Family of 4 on our 3rd year camping

We took the plunge in 2010 for our first trailer and got a Passport 300bh. We have two girls who almost always bring (you guessed it) 2 more girls! Ours has single bunk in back, and we have the fold down couch and dinette for the guests. I agree that you should go bigger now...we went over a dozen or more lengths before deciding on ours...glad that when I send a payment out, I still like what it is paying for!
2006 GMC Sierra SLT Crew VortecMax 6.0L 4:10's
Husky Centerline / Tekonsha Prodigy P2
Momamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
cdchapman

Just saw your post about TT. By the way, War Eagle. My fam and I are new to the TT scene and have just bought a new Passport 3220BH. We have 2 small children, 7 & 4, and they love having their own "room". It has double slides and weighs dry at 6200 lbs. Once you buy a TT, you will never feel like you have too much storage space or sleeping area. Yes the changing of the sofa and dinette gets tiresome. I know everyone is concerned with weight and amount of room. My advice, get the most room for your budget. Don't go too heavy on the GVWR though. By the time I got my camper home, my wife "accessorized" it with her touch. I added a 2nd television in the rear bunk area, pots/pans, etc. All this weight adds up very quickly. The bullets are very nice. Also check out the bullet 286 QBS. It has quad bunks and some model offer an outdoor kitchen. It's not overkill having too much room if you and your TV can handle it. Anyway, checkout Keystonerv.com and see what floorplan best fits your needs and the weight for your TV. I am towing my TT with an 08' Suburban. If I add anything else inside, I'm going to have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck. Anyway, good luck with your decision and War Eagle
cdchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
ls1mike

I just upgraded from a 25 foot bunkhouse no slide 5er to a Passport 3220 BHWE

I should have done it sooner. Lots of room for the pets, kids and kids friend. Plus loaded it is about 500 lbs heavier than my old 5er.

The new trailer has 4 bunks in the back with 2 slides and is about 6300 dry and 7500 loaded.

I added a tv in the back and all the stuff we need to camping and it was just at 7100 on the CAT scales with batteires, food, full propane and empty tanks.

Most parks around here fit my 35 foot overall trailer. The 5 foot difference betteween 30 and 35 dosen't seem to matter.

I tow it with the longest wheel base possible 3/4 ton gasser Chevy. A 4 door long bed with a 6.0 rated at 10,000 lbs. I wanted to stay at or about 8000 lbs. This trailer fit the bill and It does just fine.

Would I like diesel? Sure. Does tow as good as my old 5th wheel? Yes.

I towed for years with an 89 1 ton 454 3 speed. The 3/4 ton 6.0 tows circles around that truck.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote