Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

For me, and probably your family as well, the livability is more about floorplan than it is about trailer length or weight. I've seen some 26' trailers that are much better suited for a growing family, that offer better living space for rainy days, more privacy and more convenience than some trailers in the 36' range. You'd think with an extra 10 feet and 3,000 pounds, you'd get more trailer, but sometimes the "fluff" detracts from the livability and can make the bigger trailer a disappointment....

Look at every floorplan you can, spend time with your family, just sitting in a trailer and imagining that it's raining outside and you're "stuck for the day". Look around and try to see how much space the kids have (without being under your feet) and whether the DW can prepare a meal without having to make everyone sit down and wait until she's finished.... Do some earnest searching at RV dealerships. Sooner or later the "perfect RV" will reveal itself to you....

Enjoy the search, it may be frustrating at times, but "due diligence" now will pay great rewards for years to come.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

^^^John has posted some very astute observations.

There is a huge amount of difference in "liveability" in trailers. Some trailers, although shorter in length, offer far better living space than other larger trailers. Also, depending on what you plan to do, you don't have to have the heaviest trailer out there. You can absolutely find something your 1/2 ton can pull. But.....

You say your dream truck is a 350. You also have a growing family. While the kids are young those dynamics are going to continually change and probably require larger, larger.

Only you can determine what the finances are, your needs, desires etc. I will say this, don't put everything off until you can "afford" the biggest thing you think you need/want. Get something (truck/trailer) you can afford and use while you have little ones. Let them grow up and enjoy the camping experience with mom and dad. As time goes by plan your finances around trying to upgrade the truck/trailer combo. Once it becomes just a part of "what we do" the allocation you set aside for those activities will become more important.

I wish you the best of luck in finding something that works for you and yours. Just keep in mind, especially with the little ones, that safety has to be at the top of your list.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 AM   #23
BBoarder1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^John has posted some very astute observations.

There is a huge amount of difference in "liveability" in trailers. Some trailers, although shorter in length, offer far better living space than other larger trailers. Also, depending on what you plan to do, you don't have to have the heaviest trailer out there. You can absolutely find something your 1/2 ton can pull. But.....

You say your dream truck is a 350. You also have a growing family. While the kids are young those dynamics are going to continually change and probably require larger, larger.

Only you can determine what the finances are, your needs, desires etc. I will say this, don't put everything off until you can "afford" the biggest thing you think you need/want. Get something (truck/trailer) you can afford and use while you have little ones. Let them grow up and enjoy the camping experience with mom and dad. As time goes by plan your finances around trying to upgrade the truck/trailer combo. Once it becomes just a part of "what we do" the allocation you set aside for those activities will become more important.

I wish you the best of luck in finding something that works for you and yours. Just keep in mind, especially with the little ones, that safety has to be at the top of your list.
Thanks to all of your input. We are as a family talked last night. Going to look at some smaller trailers this weekend. Then as sourdough said upgrade later down road to a larger truck and trailer. I don't want to miss out on the experience by waiting too long. Heck I used to tent camp as kid and will never forget it.
BBoarder1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #24
Tbos

We look forward to hearing from you seeing pictures when you decide. I wish I had taken my kids camping more when they were young.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #25
BBoarder1974

Went to cat scale today, truck weighs in at 6160# with me and full tank of gas. Not much payload left. Im playing he'll trying to get my wife to look at smaller trailers. We did go in an outback 210urs which i loved. She liked the 250urs more but it had a 585# tongue. The 210 was only 474 and shorter too. Wish me luck talking to her and explaining this trailer loading and payload delimma.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoarder1974 View Post
Went to cat scale today, truck weighs in at 6160# with me and full tank of gas. Not much payload left. Im playing he'll trying to get my wife to look at smaller trailers. We did go in an outback 210urs which i loved. She liked the 250urs more but it had a 585# tongue. The 210 was only 474 and shorter too. Wish me luck talking to her and explaining this trailer loading and payload delimma.

I KNOW how hard this is to do, not only for yourself, but your wife as well. I'm in the same boat as we speak trying to rationalize getting a big trailer which necessitates a bigger truck.

When you are discussing keep this in mind; you said the plate on the truck said the GVW was 7200 lbs. Your cat weight for the truck, you and fuel was 6160. That only leaves 1040 before you exceed payload; and from that you need to remember that about 100lbs of that will go to the hitch.

The tongue is a variable. When looking at a model use the gvw, not dry weight, and figure 12-15% for tongue weight. THAT is a number you might be able to manipulate by trailer loading. Problem is, with young ones there is NO way you are going to travel dry. You just can't enjoy the camping experience and not eat, sleep, wear clothes; and with kids, take toys and "stuff". So, if you think you can, you could figure 5-600 lbs for all your gear (food, clothes, pots and pans add up quick). That lowers your trailer weight (above dry) and then lowers the tongue weight (elevating payload).

You can do it. Your 1/2 ton will pull a nice trailer for you and the family. It takes time and a lot of investigating/number crunching. I think once you find a floorplan in the size you want you will be able to work this out and all will be happy. Wishing you the best in your journey.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
BBoarder1974

Thanks sourdough, we found one. Same as the one she liked but without the side slide. Outback 210urs. The numbers are just right and it's compact. I agree with you comment on young ones. They need their bikes and other stuff. We are going again tomorrow to look at the outback
Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #28
Tbos

When you decide and then pick it up post pictures. You all will love the new memories you'll make together.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Old 04-15-2017, 05:00 AM   #29
the sodfather

You have received some great advise here. We stated with a pop up pulled with a Chevy Avalanche. No problems. As the kiddos grew, we all wanted more. Sold the pop up and bought a Bullet 272 BHS. Could the Avalanche pull it? Yup. The numbers all lined up but it was too much on the edge for me. We got to where I had the girls in the Camry with supplies and me in the Avalanche with the trailer. Bought a 2500HD. Oh ya! The tail does not wag the dog anymore. I feel SO much safer taking the family anywhere now.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #30
BBoarder1974

Great news we bought one. My wife understood the numbers game we were playing. Purchased a outback 210urs. It's great. We have room on spare even with it at max capacity. Now we can go where ever we want. Don't get me wrong when we upgrade the truck I see use with a bigger trailer. This gets us started safely on the road. Now I need to buy a hitch and take delivery next week. Thanks for all the advise. Glad I weighed my truck too. My lift and tires on truck sure did add alot of weight. Pictures coming later today.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Great news we bought one. My wife understood the numbers game we were playing. Purchased a outback 210urs. It's great. We have room on spare even with it at max capacity. Now we can go where ever we want. Don't get me wrong when we upgrade the truck I see use with a bigger trailer. This gets us started safely on the road. Now I need to buy a hitch and take delivery next week. Thanks for all the advise. Glad I weighed my truck too. My lift and tires on truck sure did add alot of weight. Pictures coming later today.

Congratulations!! Now the fun begins!

Don't know where you're going to get the hitch but the dealer might be a good place. They can provide it and set it up.

A lift and big tires on a truck is cool but not for towing. They hurt both from a weight and towing (stability) standpoint. I like them on my off road toys but they just don't work on my TT. Be sure and keep that in mind when you upgrade the truck.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #32
busterbrown

Quote:
Congrats on finding a trailer that works for your family. Originally, you mentioned traveling with a family of 4. I'm surprised that you decided on a unit without a living room slide. My wife and I looked at a couple units similar to the 210urs, prior to buying our Bullet. After looking at units inclusive of a living room slide, we knew that space would be in short supply with our family of 5 (if we decided on a comparative 210urs coach). Several dealers told me the same thing. The biggest reason that owners returned a year later to upgrade their non-living room slide RV was lack of space. If it works for your family, great! But if you're trying to "settle" to keep the numbers in check, you may be another statistic at an RV dealer next year. RV's are not cheap and depreciate like a rock thrown in the lake. Keystone makes some great single slide coaches with bunks in the back that your F150 will tow with relative ease.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #33
BBoarder1974

We looked issue was weight on my tr7ck not the pulling power. I only had about 1000# of payload since my darn tires and lift weighed so much. So the 210 fit the bill. Gonna camp our tails off and when truck dies I will get me a nice new 250 or 350!��, till then I had to settle. Sucked but I wanted to be safe going own the road. New f150s have the payload where mine doesnt.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #34
Tbos

Glad you found a rig that will work for your family. Looking forward to seeing your pictures when you post them. Have fun making new memories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #35
BBoarder1974

Suggestions on hitches? Max load for my trailer is 6200is pounds. 15% is 930. So looks like I need 1000pound hitch. Correct? Brands? Suggestions?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #36
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Suggestions on hitches? Max load for my trailer is 6200is pounds. 15% is 930. So looks like I need 1000pound hitch. Correct? Brands? Suggestions?
Equalizer 4 point with sway control. Best there is at a sane price.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #37
Tbos

2x on the equalizer 10K 4point hitch. You could go with the 14K and then when/if you upgrade it can go with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

x3 on the Equalizer. I've had others but this one is the best - as was said, at a sane price. Check with them (Equalizer) and see exactly what the configuration is - they're nice folks. I believe they told me that the shank itself is rated at 14k on everything but the 4k hitch and the variable is the bars. That way if you buy the hitch, when you upgrade you only need to get the heavier bars.

Edit: and yes, go with the 1k bars.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #39
BBoarder1974

Thanks everyone, buy the equalizer. I tell you you uys have been a great help. Sourdough. Got you message, thanks. Fyi, I'm 32. And yes safety is my number 1 thing when my family is in he truck. You all have a great night and tues I will post some picts.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #40
theeyres

Quote:
Thanks everyone, buy the equalizer. I tell you you uys have been a great help. Sourdough. Got you message, thanks. Fyi, I'm 32. And yes safety is my number 1 thing when my family is in he truck. You all have a great night and tues I will post some picts.
I know the Equal-i-zer is a great hitch and used it for years. If you want one that is much easier to use and does the job just as well check out the Andersen. I love it and it will be more than adequate for your trailer.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, passport