Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
ToBNamedL8r

2015 Cougar 337FLS Air Conditioner

My AC runs fine (fan in auto) but occasionally the fan shuts off for a few seconds while the compressor continues to run. Then it kicks back on. It sounds like it may be changing speed but it's hard to tell. Anyone else have this experience?
ToBNamedL8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
MarkS

That happens to me sometimes. The AC has a two speed fan. The Thermostat switches speeds when the temperature gets 5 degrees (I think it is 5) above set point. I think sometimes the AC can't quite get the temperature to go down through that 5 degree difference.

I don't think it hurts anything, but if I hear it happen a couple of times, I switch the thermostat to Hi Fan.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
ToBNamedL8r

Thanks. That's what gave me the clue that it might be changing fan speeds - when I switched the fan from auto to high and it switched the fan off then back on high. I still haven't found anything in the documentation about this though.
ToBNamedL8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The A/C fan operation isn't described in the air conditioner manual, rather it's in the Dometic Digital Thermostat manual. On page 11 of the "single zone thermostat" operation it describes the fan speed sequence in the "AUTO" mode.

"Auto Fan When auto fan is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the difference between the temperature set-point and the room tempera- ture. In auto fan the compressor and fan cycle On and Off with the thermostat. When the difference is:
>5º The fan operates on HIGH
<4º The fan operates on LOW

Compressor Time Delay A time delay of approximately two minutes occurs any time the compressor is required to begin the cooling or heat pump cycle.

Power Interruption In the event the power to the air conditioner or control is interrupted, the system will restart with the previous set points once power is restored."

So, to further explain, when the inside temperature approaches 4*F of the thermostat set point, the fan stops, changes speed and then resumes in LOW. If the temperature rises, the fan again stops, changes to HIGH and then resumes at the new speed. The compressor continues to run during these fan speed changes. If the compressor turned off, there would be a 2 minute delay (to equalize head pressure) before it came back on. Keeping the compressor running eliminates the need to "restart it" after a delay in cooling.

Hope this explains it well enough.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote