Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
neuscda

Electrical issues on 5th wheel

I have a 2013 Keystone Cougar 29 RBS.

While I was out of town on business, we had a huge rain storm on the Gulf Coast of Alabama. When I returned home, my 5th wheel did not any power.

After replacing my Technology Research 11615 Surge Guard, 30 Amp with a new one, I was able to restore some power to the RV, such as the microwave, TV and electrical outlets.

However, I still don't have any lights both within and outside the RV. I assume this is due to something wrong with the 12V system. The battery appears to be dead, but it has not recharged since 120V power was restored to the RV.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DLN
Alabama Gulf Coast
neuscda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Mike L123

I would suspect that the two or three fuses attached to your converter blew in order to protect the converter from an electrical anomaly or event. Locate your converter and check those fuses first. Also check the breaker for your converter in the main panel for 115v. Report back with your findings and we will go from there. I am not an electrical guy of any type or sort and I'm sure that others with more knowledge and experience than myself will post here soon.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
Pook-60

Isolating 12V Fuses

Howdy

For my rig, the 12V fuses don't indicate failure unless I'm running solely off the batteries. When I have a fuse fail under 12V power, a red LED lights up in the Iota brand fuse bank. However, when I'm plugged into shore power the failure is masked.

With your 12V system compromised...you may have to revert to doing continuity checks on each individual fuse in the fuse bank.

This check may not solve all the faults but it may solve some.

Good hunting!
Dane
Pook-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
fred1609

Those fuses you should be looking at are on your convertor. They are big 30 or 40 amp fuses. my buddy had the same problem with his 333mks.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
rafael&cary

remember lights on trailer are 12 volts so your converter is going to have a fuse on the dc side of the converter so look for that fuse 40 amps that control all dc power
rafael&cary is offline   Reply With Quote