Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
{tpc}

Power Awning

Ok so I think this is the right place to ask this question, but I am unsure I completely understand how these things work. I suppose I should have asked more during the pdi, and maybe i did and I just forgot.

Anyways, the guy told us not to run it all the way out, just until the end flap piece was running straight up and down.

What happens if I do keep running the motor...will it stop at the end or mess something up?

How do the arms work exactly? It seems that when I run it out to where the guy said to they are in a bent position. He said you can angle one side and lock it down with the knob, for water run off. Made sense to me, but while it was out the other day a wind gust came and it bounced up a bit...so I brought it in. Am I doing something wrong here? Should the arms be fully extended? Can they be?

What about tie downs? A friend told me I should tie the ends down with ratcheting straps but it seems there is a debate to doing this?

My wife wants to hang lights from the end of it, and thats fine, but it seems counterintuitive to me to do so, if everytime we walk away I have to roll it up for fear of the wind. I can see it now...day 1, put out awning, put out lights....5 min later, take off lights, put in awning, 20 min later put out awning, put out lights...rinse and repeat. Doesn't sound like fun.

The unit we have is a 2014 Passport Ultra Lite 2300 bunkhouse.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
?

My wife wants to hang lights from the end of it, and thats fine, but it seems counterintuitive to me to do so,.
While it may be "counterintuitive" or even counter productive for you to do that, it may be in your best interests to do what your wife wants.......
Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Kristi

The wind is not your awning's friend, but on a calm evening the lights on the awning are nice.

As for your other questions, yes, the motor will stop at the end, but it is better if you stop before then. Also, you can use the black nobs on the arms to adjust the tilt awning for water runoff, just remember to loosen them before you try to bring your awning back in. this video maybe helpful.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
The wind is not your awning's friend, but on a calm evening the lights on the awning are nice.

As for your other questions, yes, the motor will stop at the end, but it is better if you stop before then. Also, you can use the black nobs on the arms to adjust the tilt awning for water runoff, just remember to loosen them before you try to bring your awning back in. this video maybe helpful.
Thank you kristi, that was helpful! I did notice that the guy in the video only locked down the one knob after he tilted for run off on that side. Does it matter for the other side? Or should it stay loose?

Also, anything about tying them down? Or is it just a some do and some don't?

Oh and festus2, it is in my best interests, but its also in my best interests that it doesn't get busted the first trip out lol.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Kristi

Not sure about tie downs, I've never used them.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
ThePressureIsOn

There is no need to tilt your power awning. I believe that they all have an automatic dump feature, at least ours does...ask me how I know! When enough rain builds up on them, the weight will automatically tilt one side and dump the water.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
therink

I have used tie downs for years on two different power awnings. I set the pitch, tighten the knows and tie down using rope on each end to 12" rebar spikes. Works well. The tension keeps the awning taught and quiet in light to moderate winds. If storm or heavy winds approach, I may roll it up.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
x96mnn

I use tie downs and ratchet straps and have no issues. I use two dog spikes, the kind you twist into the ground, I use my weight distribution bar to turn the spikes all the way in. When I tighten the straps I just pull them snug, like the post before me no issues.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Essness

I've been using tie downs zince we bought this one. It lets me not worry about wind conditions while we're out on the trails.

the poles just fold up with the awning an clip in place for travel.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #10
{tpc}

Quote:
There is no need to tilt your power awning. I believe that they all have an automatic dump feature, at least ours does...ask me how I know! When enough rain builds up on them, the weight will automatically tilt one side and dump the water.
I think I understand this. The guy at the walkthrough I think suggested tilting one side so that you "know" which side the water will dump on.

Quote:
I've been using tie downs zince we bought this one. It lets me not worry about wind conditions while we're ouf on the trails.
I like the pictures! I think my concern is due to the automatic dumping feature of the awning. On ours the supports on the bottom of the awning don't come straight out like those shown in the pics. They are "pre bent" if you will so that when the water builds up on one side or the other it dumps where it is the heaviest. Of course you can lock them into a position with the knobs but that doesn't make them straight or keep them from folding up to dump, it just allows you to angle one side down more.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #11
{tpc}

Here is a picture so you can see what I am referring to. The awning can probably come out a little more, but not enough to straighten those arms I don't think.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
canesfan

I can't ever remember seeing an awning like that where the front is higher than the trailer. Personally that would bother me with wind, tied down or not. It looks like it's just asking to blow over the top. Or is that just an optical illusion from the angle the picture was taken?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #13
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I can't ever remember seeing an awning like that where the front is higher than the trailer. Personally that would bother me with wind, tied down or not. It looks like it's just asking to blow over the top. Or is that just an optical illusion from the angle the picture was taken?
Yes I think it is, because in that photo I'm standing below the trailer.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
{tpc}

Here is another pic, as apparantly noone has taken pics with the awning out lol. This one appears to be out a little further than mine but the valance seems longer, but it could be the angle again.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
Javi

This what that awing should look like.
Attached Images

Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
This what that awing should look like.
I am unsure on what you are trying to say, or point out? The picture doesn't show much.

Are you saying its not fully extended on the pic of mine? What about the other one that I pulled from a different website?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
Essness

Quote:
Here is a picture so you can see what I am referring to. The awning can probably come out a little more, but not enough to straighten those arms I don't think.

I think you're close enough, roll it the rest of the way out and it will be fine.
look at mine where the flap is.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
therink

I would roll it out all the way to bring the outside roller down to where it should be. You won't hurt the motor. Just make sure you tap the switch for the final bit and don't torque it to its full extension. One problem with own profile trailers is that the door rubs the awning when the awning is pitched down like it should be. Once you have it somewhat pitched with the knobs tight, I would tie it down. Without a lot of pitch, the awning is more susceptible to wind damage.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #19
Javi

Quote:
I am unsure on what you are trying to say, or point out? The picture doesn't show much.

Are you saying its not fully extended on the pic of mine? What about the other one that I pulled from a different website?
Yes I'm saying that you are not fully extended by a good bit. Take a look at the arm in my photo. double click on the fingernail and it will enlarge so you can see better. The arm should be straight not bent at a 45 degree angle.

I'll see if I can find another photo that shows the arm fully extended.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justansw...9_dsc01672.jpg
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
2014Fuzion300

In our case, if you keep pressing the switch, the awning will rollback the other way.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote