Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
scotty1946

Tongue weight issue

I have a 2014 2200 Passport. Gross weight 4300 lbs. What impact if any would there be if I added the spare tire to the tongue. I want to take it off the back bumper and place it on a winch under the tongue. Would that create an adverse effect on the tongue weight distribution?
scotty1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Western Traveler

You are just redistributing existing weight except for the bracket. Your trailer loading can offset the weight shift. I believe the tongue weight should be 10/15% of trailer weight. Keep in mind you will most likely be traveling with full LP tanks, WDH and batteries up there as well plus cargo weight in your TV behind the rear axle.
Lots of people make that modification and there are threads on it.
It comes down to your TV weight limits.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
SVichera

For what it's worth, I have a passport 3220. Dry tongue weight is 600 and I have found that it tows better with the fresh water tank full to its 30 gallon capacity. My passport is too light on the tongue for its size. I tow with a navigator with a Reese dual cam with 800 lb bars and it tows great. If your water tank is in the front you may want to try towing with a full tank to see how it would behave with the extra weight to simulate the spare tire relocated to the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SVichera is offline   Reply With Quote