Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
atlgagent

Newbie Purchasing a Generator

We recently purchased a 2008 30' Laredo Fifth Wheel with a 15,000 btu air conditioner. I want to purchase a generator for long trips and crowded campgrounds, but don't have a clue as to what I need. I do know I want a Honda EU model for the quietness of it. I need some advice on size and what needs to be done to prepare the fifth wheel for when I use the generator. Thanks!
atlgagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
spicercars

The Honda EU is the only way to go. You have two choices. The EU3000 should run your air with no problem. The other way to go would be to buy 2 EU 2000,s and run them together with a y cable. The 3000 is nice because it is one unit but heavy. The 2000 is much lighter and easy to move but will take two of them. Good luck but you cant go wrong with a Honda.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
atlgagent

Honda EU3000

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check the weight of the EU3000 and if it's manageable, I will probably go with that one. I'm not crazy about the idea of having to keep track of two of them.
atlgagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
WaltBennett

It's not just a Honda

There are several brands of 'quiet' inverter style generators available today. Honda, Yamaha, Subaru are just three. What you really need to do is figure out what you want to run simultaneously, calculate the load, and then go shopping. I've two of the older Yamaha EF2300is ones that can be ganged together. Reason I bought them was their output (slightly higher capacity than anything else available at that time) and weight (I can lift & carry one at a time). One gives me a solid 15 amp circuit, the two together give a 30 amp.

I don't know any single 30 amp generator that is light enough to be lifted by one person. If you're going to carry it in a truck bed, you won't be able to put it on the ground by yourself. I also strongly recommend against putting a gasoline generator in the compartment of a 5er. It needs to be outside.

Also, whatever brand you look at, compare the running decibel ratings under at least 50% load. Just a few decibels higher means a lot more noise and potentially ticked off neighbors.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
mguay

My Honda 3000 resides in the back of the truck in front of the hitch, under the tonneau cover when not in use. I have a 50' 30a extension cord so that it can stay there and be used either while the truck is hooked to the 5er or not. It will run the 15k A/C fine.
The other recommendation I have is to not use pump gas. Mine sits for extended periods of time in between use and I use airplane fuel in it. The higher octane and better quality prevents varnishing of the fuel system, unlike the short shelf life pump gas we have now. Airplane fuel can be bought at most small airports.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
wmcclay

The Honda eu3000 weighs about 130 lbs. It sets about even with the top of the bed. I bought it for a couple of reasons. It is to heavy to lift out of the bed with one person without getting into the bed, the smaller ones can be lifted and be gone in seconds. I only have to maintain one unit,
Downsides, weight, will not run a/c above 5 to 6000 ft elevation..
I looked at the other brands, you can find parts and service for Hondas just about everywhere. Friends have other brands and are happy with them. I like Honda products.

Wayne and Donna
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Bluewater

I have a new EU3000 and just love with the optional remote wireless start/stop. I just leave it in the bed of the ruck and run my cord to it...works perfect and VERY quiet.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
sjturbo

I have a 10yr old EU3000 and it starts with one pull almost every time (need new battery). Weighs more than I can lift now but runs quiet and smooth.
If I were to by new I might be tempted to get twin EU2000's. Ganged they put out more amps.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
W5WI

I use my EU3000 for running my 15,000 btu A/C with no problems and plenty of power for the refrig, lights, tv, etc.

I can easily load it in my truck bed and it's super quiet. I recently used it during my move from Missouri to Texas to power my refrigerator and freezer in my flatbed trailer. It ran over 18 hours and less than four gallons of gas!

Great unit and very economical while being super quiet!

cheers,

dale
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
CUFFS054

Popular Mechanics mag tested portable gennies in new issue.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator