Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
PaulDeb2

Sewer Odor in Bullet 294BHS

We have owned our 2011 Bullet for just over a month. When we purchased it, it had a nasty sewer owner. So the salesman put 3 bags of ice + Camco RV Toilet Treatment drop ins in the toilet and away we went. The odor remained. The camping world salesman recommended Aqua Kem. So we put a bottle of that in with ice. Odor remained. Now we are camping for a week at the beach and the RV Service guy recommended Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator. When we release the contents of the Black tank into the sewage at the campground (we are hooked up), a horrible odor comes from under the camper and up through the toilet. I've searched this forum for help and suggestions and haven't seen anything different than what we've tried. Has anyone ever tried the Tornado Black Tank cleaner? Any suggestions are welcome. Help!
Deb and Paul
Currently in Myrtle Beach with our 3 Children and 2 dogs
PaulDeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
GaryWT

First off hopefully you do not have a crack in your tank as this is possible. Sencond do you have a tank flush connection to clean the tank. If so hook it up and run it for 15-30 minutes. It says to leave the valve open but close it one or twice for a short period to let the water build up some. If you do not have this, fill the tank at least 1/2 full and drive around for awhile. Warm water might help loosen anything in there. Once clean, pick the chemical you like the best and use it. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
tileman

Yea sounds like you need a good flushing of the tank.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Leave the tank full for at least 3 or 4 days. Any "crud" that has dried and stuck to the walls of the tank will be like concrete and need to soak for a long time before it will be soft enough to break away from the tank. Also climb up on the roof, pull the cap from the black tank vent and run water into the tank to make sure that the vent stack is not plugged. If the tank can't vent properly, you will get any build up of sewer gasses flowing up into the toilet every time you flush. Don't forget also that any time you have a vent fan on in the RV and flush the toilet you will pull the sewer gasses into the RV.

It does sound like you've simply got a "dirty tank" that needs to be properly cleaned out. Get it full of water with some detergent/deodorizer added and let it sit for as long as you can (at least 3 or 4 days, preferably longer) and then drain, flush, check the vent stack and see if it helps.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Trent McCain

We had a similar thing happen with ours. Went to a friends wedding in a small town, set up in a grass campground and wasn't as level as I should have been, because we were out most the time, the holding tanks didn't get close to full. We dumped when we left and headed home. Shortly after we headed out for a 2-3 week harvest run. At our first stop, I noticed a smell from the toilet. We don't have a black tank flush on ours, so I emptied the tank, and used the wand you insert in the toilet to give it a good cleaning, It was much better. Did that trick afew times throughout our stay as we had full hookups anyways. Before we left to head home, I cleaned it good again, and filled the tank with cleaner and proceeded to head 250 mi home. I let the cleaner sit in the tank for a day then flushed again. Problem is solved. I'm guessing when we were at the wedding, because we were no where full and unlevel, the tank didn't drain completely. We let the tank get as full as we can then dump. Also, I now fill a large pot with hot water several times, and pour it down the toilet after we empty the tank to hopfully keep the problem from happening again. So far it's worked.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
PaulDeb2

As we are camping for a few more days, we are trying to leave the tank full for a few days until it gets really full (not just to when the sensor says it's full) . It seems to be improving. When we leave, we'll try letting water slosh about to do some more cleaning. Thanks for the advice.
PaulDeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
tileman

I know it might be over kill but when I clean ours
I will fill it up with water even if its just half full then dump.

Then I will fill it up two more times with the tank flush on the trailer and dump again. Then add maybe a few gal of water and off we go.

Have had the trailer for 16 months and so far no bad smells
Old 09-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
wbdvt

I know this may be johnny come lately (pun) but if your toilet is a Dometic 300 there have been lots of issues with them on seals and odors. Dometic has been replacing them with Model 310.

The items were good to note especially the vent stack. I always use a turbo wand to wash my black tank at each dumping.

I have also read about ice and calgon. The calgon will create a slippery surface so things don't get stuck on the sides of the tank
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
eartha

Smile Odor

All the flushing the better. We also went to the 360 siphon vent caps for both black and gray tanks.
Happy Trails
eartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
bp926

I also have the cyclone 360's on the roof vents. We use liquid Calgon faithfully at least 2 caps full per tank ( black & gray ) plus we use the drop ins. I also use a tornado in the black tank. In addition we put a lemon scented liquid product from Walmart down the sink drains.
No problem yet
bp926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Outbackmel

Cool Bad odor

You didn't POOP in there did you? You may have violated any warranty! Adding poo is considered a modification by Keystone.

We use enzyme tablets we bought at a show. Work great. called; Nature Zyme. 12 tablets/12 treatments. just mix in a water bottle and pour in toilet and it really works. Zero odor. No spills or junk on your hands. I hate the smell of perfumy products.

i am sure you can find these on line.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote