Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
fly723

New Fuzion Owner=Nightmare

Hello All. We purchased a new Fuzion 342 this year. Took delivery Feb 28th and have since had a nightmare experience. Its actually straight out of hell.

1st. 3 days of ownership, our LCI hydraulic system would not function correctly. We took the unit to our dealer, and in front of the service manager 2 of our jacks extended fully, uncommanded. Had we been on the highway when this occurred............

Time to fix, 20 days. Replaced hydraulic solenoid.

2nd. 4 days after the second pick up. March 29th. Hydraulic system failed completely. Slides extended about 2 feet, uncommanded. Leveling system would not operate. Dealer had to send team to us, 100mi away, manually retract the system and tow to dealer.

Time to fix, 19 days. Replaced hydraulic motor.

3rs. 7 days after third pick up. April 26th. Hydraulic system failed completely. While packing up for a short weekend trip, we hooked up the trailer, selected auto retract. Rear left jack stuck about 3" off the ground, then the hydraulic motor geared down, and nearly caught fire. Smoke was coming out of the bottom of the hydraulic bay.

We now sit, with a trailer that has had 3 hydraulic failures in less than 9 weeks of ownership. We were told by our dealer to not expect support from Keystone, as LCI is the manufacturer of the hydraulic system. If I buy a Ford truck, and the alternator failes, does Ford say too bad, we didnt manufacture this part? No.

We are also told by our dealer that this type of "new delivery" issues were commonplace. If our math is correct, our dealer sells approx 80 units avg per month. If each new delivery is expected to be in service 66% of the time during the first 70 days, then the back log to service should be roughly 600 trailers, and increasing each week. This CANNOT be common nor expected when purchasing a $60k trailer.

I am at a loss as to what recourse we have. Our dealer is assisting us, but obviously not competent enough to fix the issue.

We have retained an attorney and plan on filing against both our dealer and Keystone. Does anyone have any thoughts?
fly723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Ron

I think I would call LCI directly and talk with them about the issues you have had, expecially the overheating of the hydraulic motor and smoke comming out of that compartment, I would think that would get there attention, good luck
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Heliumhel

Holly crap, that is one hell of an issue you got there. It does sound as if the dealer is not very competent on the hydraulic system, I have the same system on mine and have not seen that issue, knocking on wood now. Your initial warranty is with Keystone and the secondary is with the individual part manufacturer I this case LCI. I would contact both and be persistent, squeaky wheel type. Even try to get the name of the Keystone rep for your area and get in touch with that person. They may be able to refer you to a dealership who is more familiar with the hydraulics. At the very least, this will give you more data in the event you have to go to court.

Good luck.
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
schwalbach

coming from truck dealership experience, NEVER MENTION YOU ARE RETAINING AN ATTORNEY, do that on the backside. If they get a whiff that you are going legal, they will stop working on it and let the lawyers dictate what gets done! This will tie it up for much longer, just be persistent and don't take no for an answer.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
dave-g

document EVERYTHING. Get the dealer to put everything in writing. Work with the dealer and let them know you are calling the factory for help. Ask the factory to send some one to look at it.

Do not let the dealer know you are getting a lawyer, I agree progress may stop.

Also in NJ we have a lemon law- ck your state to see if you have one.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
crash

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.I dont know about your state but hear in Va. we have the Lemon law we went thru problems with our last new trailer a 2012 salem hemisphere TT problem after problem same ole same ole, we had it about 6months and the dealer had to buy it back
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

yikes what a nightmare. If I were a betting man i would bet there is a wire rubbing a ground source and that would trigger a relay or solinoide and that would run the pump. ie smoking and things moving uncomanded. sure hope you tell us how it turns out. but really fallow the op. do not tell the dealer you have a lawyer and do check with dmv about lemon laws. good luck and don't give up.all my years in the auto repair trade, crazy issues like this usualy turn out to be a simple fix,but the tech needs to go hunting to find the problem someone else created.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

After going thru mine again this spring.....likely hood of a wire being frayed is a good possibility. I have found no less then 4 of those nice sharp wood screws laying in various places. Two of which were up against water lines just waiting to rub a hole in them. I did find another screw against a wiring harness. A broken off drill bit sticking out of the frame. A couple of screws here and there that the pointy ends were to close, IMO, to unsecured wiring.

I have a bumper tow and found the brake activation switch wiring routed under the frame along with the main wiring harness for the TV to Trailer wiring. Not that I expect to lose the trailer but the having the wires routed where they could contact the ground during activation could prove catastrophic considering if the wires are broken in any way they would not activate the brake system.

Low point water drain system with no hot water heater bypass is dumb. HEY KEYSTONE STILL NEED TO ADD RV ANTIFREEZE TO THE SYSTEM. Where these designers and engineers get their ideas from has me dumbfounded.

On Edit.....forgot to mention the way the cut the trim on the door for my propane storage compartment. Allows water to enter compartment with no where for it to drain. Keystones answers to the cut....required for gas ventilation, it's at the top of the door on the compartment. Next call, it's required so the door will open all the way. Next email, required for installation of the door. Keystone if you read this fire your engineers and hire someone with common sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and get a few new Quality Assurance people on the line. May also consider giving your telephone operators a big raise from all the staic they have to take over the things you see mentioned here on this site.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
abneynormal

ive never had a problem

dang I would be contacting keystone, lci and if that didn't work I would threaten the nhtsa. (1-888-327-4236) they would want to know. also if you are with sams club you might contact them. they can muscle manufacturers. my slide outs function correctly. I am not too thrilled with some of the wiring on my 3912 but I fix what I don't like.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
dpcrf450

Any update. Thanks
dpcrf450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
alien_scones

Howdy from Texas.

You posted your problems back in May.

Do you have any updates to your situation?

Thanks
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
MConnelly

Keystone/Fuzion wiring

I too have repaired numerous wire hazard issues on my 403.
I had a DC line routed between two slide members under the master bedroom bed. Given enough time that would have rubbed thru and could have started a fire. I found it while replacing the slide floor on the master berm. slide. That was also the point where I started looking everywhere on the rig I could uncover for like issues.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
antiqfreq

He has not posted on this forum, since this last post.........

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Not only has he not posted, he has not signed onto the forum since 5/20/13. Seems he must have "found something more interesting"...

I'll be bad for a moment.... Or he "found someone else to listen to his complaints"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
pakuma

As a retired Automobile Dealer General Manager, this sounds like it is beyond the requirements for lemon laws. The dealer cannot not work on your vehicle if it is the selling dealer and it is a warranty repair, as this would be an abrogation of the dealer agreement. Have you spoken to the Dealer Principal? Have you contacted Cougar and asked to meet with a representative? It should not be up to you to contact LCI, this is the dealer/manufacturers responsibilty. If you have done these things with no good response then by all means talk to an attorney.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
fly723

Update

Hello Forum. Wow, after reading the responses I didn't realize not logging in or posting more was such an offense! I will not repeat that one!

No, Keystone and our dealer have been no help. Lippert however has been fantastic. They have overnighted parts, hired mobile repair, and have had us on the road now for 2 months.

Our issue was a bad hydraulic circuit board, which LCI diagnosed in about 2 minutes. Thank you for everyone's advice and support.
fly723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Kristi

Glad you got it resolved. The thought of jacks dropping on their own is scary to say the least!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

fly723 -

Not logging on to the forum or not posting enough are not offenses. Back in May 5th you posted an issue that you were having with the Lippert hydraulic system in your RV and asked, "Does anyone have any thoughts?". Following your post, several members did offer some suggestions and advice as well as two members who inquired if you had heard anything from Keystone or the dealer about your problem.

Since we had not heard from you in well over a month, it was assumed that you had simply let us know what your problem was and didn't check back to read any of the "thoughts" you had asked for. It was only today, over two months since you posted your issue that you have checked into the forum, read the responses, and provided an update.

As you can understand, our members like to know that if they are going to offer suggestions and advice and take the time and effort to try to help another member, that a timely update would be the thing to do and would be appreciated. It's more a matter of common forum courtesy than breaking the forum rules by not logging in or posting more.