Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
duramax

multiple tvs on 12volt power

I'm sure someone on here has an easy solution. I would like to use two TVs at times without running generator while dry camping, has anyone done any mods besides trying to run seperate inverters at each TV? Be nice if something could be wired in basement at plugin source for this purpose without spending an arm and leg.
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax View Post
I'm sure someone on here has an easy solution. I would like to use two TVs at times without running generator while dry camping, has anyone done any mods besides trying to run seperate inverters at each TV? Be nice if something could be wired in basement at plugin source for this purpose without spending an arm and leg.
Without an adequate battery bank, I don't think you'll be able to run two tv's for very long. And if you have enough battery capability, how are you going to keep them charged up without running the generator? If you have to run the genny to charge the batteries to run the inverter to watch tv, why bother with the extra batteries and inverter?

Technically, there should not be any issues running two separate inverters, but the question is: Why not just get one inverter large enough to drive both tv's? Then you only have one install to deal with and the inverter can be properly located near the batteries. And, if you're not watching TV, the larger inverter would probably power your microwave or other 110vac appliances.

But the prime question remains one of adequate battery capacity.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
duramax

Agreed, running two six volts just wondering how complicated it is to wire in a larger inverter at the batteries not looking for a long run time by any means, say late night hour or so run time, would it be hard to plumb it in on a raptor 300mp? Generator probly be fired up in mornings for coffee anyways.
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
mwhit

This is what I did!!!!

I added a 2nd 12V battery, since my TH was new, I wired them in parallel. I have them connected to a 1-2 or both battery switch. When switched to both my trailer shore power and trailer inverter charges both battery's. I have a 1500W inverter connected to battery 2, my trailer runs off battery 1. When I dry camp and am not allowed to run the generator at night and want to power my LED TV's, I switch my battery switch to #1 thus disconnecting #2 from the trailer. The #2 battery is connected to the 1500W inverter. I plug my entertainment items into the 1500W inverter and have several hours of viewing time. My 46" LED draws only something like 58 watts and satellite box even less. In the morning I can charge the whole system back up after switching the battery switch to 1 and 2. I would consider going to (4) 6V batteries when replacements are needed, but that will be quite some time. In the past I have run the TV off a portable 12V jump start unit with a built in inverter. Even that gave me about 3 1/2 hours of TV viewing. Hope this helps. Mike