Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
chartrand

Storage Inside or Outside

I'm about to take delivery on my new 2013 Premier 22RBPR. City ordinance prohibits parking a TT in the front yard, and I'm not able to get it into the back. So I need to store it some place. About 2 miles away is a campground that charges a small fee for 6 months of storage, but it's out in a field with other stored units. Or for double that small fee, I can store it inside a building. Owners will allow me to park it at the door and give me a key to access the very large building. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are, are the UV rays from the sun harsh enough to warrant the additional cost for indoor storage?
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
KJcachers

What part of the country?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
MISailor

Without knowing what the "small fee" is that you're facing, I can only tell you that I pay $25/month to store my 19FBPR on a paved lot outdoors and I would seriously consider paying twice that if I could put it undercover.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I'm about to take delivery on my new 2013 Premier 22RBPR. City ordinance prohibits parking a TT in the front yard, and I'm not able to get it into the back. So I need to store it some place. About 2 miles away is a campground that charges a small fee for 6 months of storage, but it's out in a field with other stored units. Or for double that small fee, I can store it inside a building. Owners will allow me to park it at the door and give me a key to access the very large building. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are, are the UV rays from the sun harsh enough to warrant the additional cost for indoor storage?
The Dicor roofs stand up to sunlight extremely well. There is some fading over time of the filon walls and vinyl decals but that is years usually. BUT! Consider all the RV's that are parked in campgrounds, driveways, dealerships, etc. They never come in out of the sun.

I happen to live in the Adirondack Park where we get lots of snow many years. I can't store the trailer at the house either. We stumbled upon a deal with a snowbird to store the trailer in their RV carport from mid October to mid April. Two sheriff's deputies live within eyeshot of the house and the snowbird is a retired deputy from the same department. It's a unique situation for us, but we like it. The downside is that I can't go work on it in storage. If I only could find outdoor storage, I'd take it without issue, but inside the park, there are very few outdoor storage opportunities.

I think you've got to consider the value, the access, and the need.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
chartrand

I'm in Michigan.

Outdoor is $150 for 6 months
Indoor is $300 for 6 Months.

I can keep in indoors at my Dad's in the winter, about 100+ miles north, at no cost. Other than time and gas to get it there.

The indoor storage area is a large building with other things in it, Utility trailers, covered trailers, stored cars, etc. So it's a shared space and there is a little fear on my part that someone else could scrape my unit getting there stuff in and out...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

chartrand,

Coldwater is about halfway between the lakes. I'm not real familiar with how much snow you get during the winter, so I can't comment on that aspect, however any snow in Michigan is wet and heavy enough to want to move it off the roof before the next "big snowfall" That being said, if you can get indoor storage for a reasonable "year round" rate, then I'd think seriously about the advantages of being parked out of the snow if possible. As said above, many (almost all) RV's live in the sunshine and endure the UV rays for their whole life. They survive, yours will also. However, snow and the blowing cold are something I prefer to keep away from my RV. It's currently stored in an old manufacturing warehouse in East Jordan, about 30 miles from our home. We recently built a pole barn specifically to protect the fifth wheel from the snowfall in the upper half of lower Michigan. We average 150"+ a year and I just don't want that sitting on top of my RV.

The ultimate choice is yours, if you can afford the covered storage and it's a reasonable rate, then I'd consider it. Additionally, your RV would be inside a locked building. The increased security is something you won't have if it's sitting in a field at a campground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
08quadram

Depending on the fee, but I'd park inside if the price was right. It will make the EPDM roofing last that much longer.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
chartrand

No EPDM on my roof..<grin>... Opted for the convince of outdoor storage.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
turbopilot51

I would opt for the inside storage. Having my your rv inside and away from the elements is a great choice. Outside you also have the chance of being invaded with pests.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
Bob Landry

My monthly storage bill is $126. It's expensive, but I feel the benefit of it is worth it. It's covered storage with security,electricity and air/dump station on site. Having been in the marine my for almost 20 years, I've seem some pretty brutal results of UV and regardless of the washing, cleaning, and waxing, it takes it's toll. I've had my Outback for a couple of years and it still looks new, inside and out, and I really think that come resale time, part of that storage expense will be realized in the condition of the unit.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Mine is INSIDE storage! :bounce:
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Albert

After reading posts of folks taking their RV out of storage in the spring and finding water damage, or covers that caused de-lamination, I build a 20'x40' fully inclosed pole barn for my RV. Just make sense to store it inside if the price in reasonable.

John