Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
homer3

Shower Pressure

own 327res, the little woman is complaining about lack of water pressure from factory shower head. any suggestions out there.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Take the shower head off and see how much pressure you have. If it's a trickle, you may have a plumbing issue. If it seems adequate, then many of us have replaced the factory "sprinkler" with a Oxygenics shower head. It uses less water and produces a firmer shower without increasing the pressure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
homer3

Shower Head

JRTJH - Thanks for the advice, in researching the web there is about 20 different models. By chance do you or anyone no if one is better then the other.

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Homer,

Oxygenics makes showerheads for home, commercial and RV use. The one you want is sold at RV stores and a few online sources. It's the Oxygenics Body Spa Shower Kit. At CW, it's available in white, chrome and brushed nickle.

The reason you want to buy the kit is because it comes with the shut off valve which is almost "mandatory" for RV use as it allows you to conserve water during showers.

Right now, CW has the white one on sale for 32.19, the chrome is 49.99 and brushed nickle is 56.99. Each kit comes with the wall attachment, shut off valve and flex hose. Functionally, they are all the same, the only difference is in color and cost.

We had bought the white one for our Springdale, so at least for now, we've got the white shower head in our "brushed nickle" fifth wheel. Yup, too cheap to buy a replacement just on looks alone LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
DieselMatt

We bought the brushed nickel oxygenics shower head and it is a HUGE improvement over the factory head in our Fuzion. Unlike John, I had to go ahead and get the color to match the surrounding because otherwise it would have driven me absolutely nuts.

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
abneynormal

pump?

our pump was bad and the pressure was like a sprinkler. got it fixed and went to wal mart and bought a 1.6 gpm efficient shower head. the hose screwed right into the new shower head. I love it it also massages.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
homer3

So went to CW is morning and bought the "BodySpa" MO# 26781 by Oxygenics. Just got installing. This would appear to be a no brainer. Running water through house hose w/regulator. Turn on shower (both hot and cold)after letting all the air run of lines. I have to say unless I did something wrong I m not impressed. Old shower pressure may have been soft but at least I had an even spread of water from the shower head. New shower head really does not seem to be all that better. Maybe a little more pressure, but pattern does not seem to that of the shower head when taking a visible look at the head. Unscrewed new head and did not seem to find any visible issues. With water on head was a steady small pattern. Replaced head and no difference. Ready to return unless there is a fix. Just CW will take return.

Any suggestions. If not fixed the wife will p-oed.

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
DieselMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
So went to CW is morning and bought the "BodySpa" MO# 26781 by Oxygenics. Just got installing. This would appear to be a no brainer. Running water through house hose w/regulator. Turn on shower (both hot and cold)after letting all the air run of lines. I have to say unless I did something wrong I m not impressed. Old shower pressure may have been soft but at least I had an even spread of water from the shower head. New shower head really does not seem to be all that better. Maybe a little more pressure, but pattern does not seem to that of the shower head when taking a visible look at the head. Unscrewed new head and did not seem to find any visible issues. With water on head was a steady small pattern. Replaced head and no difference. Ready to return unless there is a fix. Just CW will take return.

Any suggestions. If not fixed the wife will p-oed.
It is difficult to tell if you are experiencing an issue or if it is normal with this shower head. This head does not have the same spread of a "normal" shower head. It kind of reminds me of a hose with someones thumb stuck over it, but with less pressure. For us, we weren't as concerned about the spread as we were the pressure. On ours, the pressure is quite a bit better than the old factory head. That said, we didn't try any other heads to see the difference. Perhaps if you could post up a video of the head working we can be of more help?

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
alien_scones

Are there other water restrictors in the shower valve?

Not sure about inside, but on the outside shower, I found 2 restrictors that I removed or drilled out.

Inside water flow is OK for us and have not removed or looked for any restrictors.

Some campgrounds we have visited have some incredibly dirty or hard water that clogged the kitchen faucet aerator ( even with a blue water filter on the exterior )

Would not be surprised if the water restrictor is clogged.

When is the last time you flushed your hot water heater?
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Flow restrictors on shower heads serve two functions. They restrict the flow to reduce water useage and as such, they also reduce the pressure in "large outlet" shower heads.

Something to remember is that you probably have a 6 gallon HWH. To get a "home quality" shower that you can stand in for a length of time and shower at your leisure, you'll probably be rinsing in cold water. There's a logical reason to reduce the flow of water in RV showers. First, it conserves water when dry camping, but more importantly, it keeps the goosebumps off your shoulders toward the end of the shower.

We have a multihead shower at home. I think, if I remember correctly, there are 6 shower heads in the stack and two on the opposing wall. Stand in it for more than 10 or 15 minutes and you're going to be turning blue as you rinse the soap off.... We have an 80 gallon gas HWH at home. I "shiver" to think what would happen if I hooked up that shower system to a 6 gallon HWH. We'd probably have 1 minute or less of "quality warm water" LOL Increasing the flow in an RV to more than a couple gallons a minute will pretty much guarantee the goosebumps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
fred1609

I also installed a watts regulator with a gauge which I keep at 50 psi. Couple with oxygenics shower head the water pressure is good.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
theeyres

You have to be careful with the restrictors in shower heads. I took one out on a previous shower head and the flow was greatly increased. It was wonderful! The problem was that the water flow increased so much that the hot water from the 6 gallon tank gave out in a few minutes and you could not get a decent length shower. It just went cold in no time. So maybe a different shower head will give a better feeling shower--but be careful with solutions that increase the water flow.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
homer3

Shower Pressure

Well I have decided to just stay w/Oxygenics with no modifications.I guess the little will just have to learn to deal with. Sorry to all the gals out there

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
abneynormal

mine is for the home

like I said above I got a water saving shower head from wal mart I think it is 1.2 gpm. I screwed the factory hose on to the shower head it works great and has a massaging feature too. I don't buy from cw they are too high and their products are cheap. besides when it comes to my rv if I cant find what I want I can build it.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
DieselMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
like I said above I got a water saving shower head from wal mart I think it is 1.2 gpm. I screwed the factory hose on to the shower head it works great and has a massaging feature too. I don't buy from cw they are too high and their products are cheap. besides when it comes to my rv if I cant find what I want I can build it.
How is the pressure of that head? I only ask because that appears to be the problem for the OP. Plus, I'm curious myself as more pressure without increasing water use would be fantastic!

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Bigsky3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
Well I have decided to just stay w/Oxygenics with no modifications.I guess the little will just have to learn to deal with. Sorry to all the gals out there
Good choice. We got one before a two week trip to Banff and Glacier National Park. Another great upgrade.

While it is not a great match to the original color......I installed the shower head and shutoff valve. We are both able to take a full shower without stopping the water. But we have a 12 gallon tank.

I would do it. You won't be sorry.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
abneynormal

great

I love the shower head the pressure is good so much better than the factory junk and I can take a decently long shower. i think all wand type shower heads fit the rv hose/ faucet. try it if you don't like take it back its wal mart