Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
dogger

Shakedown trip

Did a shakedown trip on our Fuzion 342 trailer we took delivery this past weekend. Figured a bunch of things out, but haven't figured out the electric hot water switch. I see there is the propane switch in the bathroom, and a switch for the electric on hot water tank, but is there not a electric switch inside? That sees odd to have to open the water tank cover each trip we want to use electric hot water.

We had a few parts I am unsure of. Two small canvas pieces in the trailer I am not sure where they go, or if they should even be in there. Also a couple of threaded hand screws (pics attached). and where these are used.

Besides a few issues the dealer needs to resolve still for parts that were ordered, there is a small hydraulic leak under the kitchen slide. I am going to have the dealer swing by, take a look and see if it is just a loose fitting, or a cracked fitting or leaky hose.

We really like this trailer. Only a few small complaints including shallow cupboards, and the sewer hose holder is far too short, etc. But with all the other conveniences and a few modifications we will get over those easily.

Cheers,

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-20 14.37.25.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	3139   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-20 14.38.04.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	3140  
dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
labs4life

My '13 sprinter has the same water heater deal as you describe. I very rarely even turn on the electric, as the gas portion does not cycle very often. I can see very negligible benefits for me when using the electric portion of the water heater. The gas recovery time is faster than electric and I would have to remember to turn on the gas portion before showers and such.
A the end of the day, I might forget to turn the gas on and I hate cold showers!!!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
placergoldman

My 2013 Cougar has the same outside switch.If I'm camping with full hook-ups,I'm going to use the electricity.Its free and I'm not using my propane..I leave it on the whole trip and turn it off when we get ready to leave..
placergoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
BeaverRZR

We have had a new 342 for about a month and had the leak under the kitchen slide aswell the day we got it home. Turned out to be an o-ring on the ram for the couch slide. Salesman at the dealer tried telling me they were electric haha.

Ours did not come with the canvas pieces and i havent seen any bolts with those heads so cant help you there.

As far as the water heater goes. I usually use the elec if we are somewhere with power. Easy enough to flip it on when you connect to shore power. The gas heats it up much faster though.
BeaverRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
saltytuna1

On my Raptor the switch outside under the water heater cover is for electric. The inside switch is for propane. I'm guessing you have the patio system with rails, if so the canvas covers look like the ones on mine that go between the gates and the trailer sides (hope that makes sense). The knobs look like the ones that go on the rear of the patio gates (the ones that open so you can walk thru). I'm stuck in the rain right now or I'd post a picture for you.

Steve
saltytuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
40 Acres

Steve is correct, the canvas pieces fill on the gap between the patio sides and the body of the trailer. There is a lip facing inward that they attach to and then velcro fast to the sides.

Knobs appear to be for the very center of the rear patio "gate" sections. There are threaded blocks that screw together and keep the halves from opening.
40 Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
abneynormal

electric switch

there is no inside switch on my 3912 raptor I just turn off the wh (water heater) breaker and that shuts it off. I turn it on at home (since I am full time) and 50 amp service camping. I would turn it off on 30 amp service.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
dogger

Thaanks for the replies. This has helped alot!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
mdb25

Heater Switch

Also, the reason the on / off switch is on the heater itself is to make sure it has water in it before you turn it on. You should check the pressure valve and make sure water comes out before turning on the electric heater, if you dont and there is no water in it you could burn out the heating elements.
mdb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
dogger

My last 3 campers I have had over the past 12 years all have had DSI/Electric hot water heaters in them, and this is the first I have seen or heard of the electric switch on the heater itself being the only switch. Our Big Country had the switch on the heater, but also one inside. They were wired in series. I wasn't sure if keystone had a valid reason or didn't bother with an interior switch.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
jsmith948

Well, having to open the outside WH panel in order to access the 120AC switch will prevent you from turning on the AC element with the plug out of the WH.
I wouldn't think adding a switch inside would be very difficult. You could also just turn the outside switch on and then control the 120AC to the WH with the CB in the panel?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You could also just turn the outside switch on and then control the 120AC to the WH with the CB in the panel?
You could do this as well. Just be advised, breakers are not designed for switches so it will wear out faster than a regular switch. May not be in the life of the trailer, but.....
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
abneynormal

cheaper

less wire to run would be my guess.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote