Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
jacksonjack

Winterizing a 300mp

This is my first year. Can someone explain how to winterize it. with my old one I would just dump RV antifreeze in the holding pump and run it thru all the lines till it came out pink.
Where is the water heater by-pass ?
whats the deal with the connector on the side near the water inlet ?
Any help would be great.
jacksonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjack View Post
This is my first year. Can someone explain how to winterize it. with my old one I would just dump RV antifreeze in the holding pump and run it thru all the lines till it came out pink.
Where is the water heater by-pass ?
whats the deal with the connector on the side near the water inlet ?
Any help would be great.
I just did my 300mp this past weekend. The water heater bypass is located below and to the right of all of your water connection. It's just a little lever that you turn to the bypass position. Don't forget to unscrew the anode from the water heater to allow it to drain and open the connection to allow it to vent. Also, open the low point drains that are also located in that compartment. Once they are drained you can close them and then start running the antifreeze through the system. There are three water line connections behind the door. The top one is used for your RV antifreeze. Connect the male end of a short hose into that connection and put the other end into you gal container of antifreeze. Turn on your pump and it will pull from that container. Don't forget to do the laundry area in the garage as well as the outside shower and low point drains. All that is left is the kitchen and bathroom sinks, shower & commode. I dumped about a quart of antifreeze in all of the drains, kitchen & bathroom sinks, shower and commode, & also the laundry drain. Open the drain on that water tank too to let it drain. In all I used just under 3 gallons of antifreeze.

I have my RV covered and I'm not sure that I can gain access to that area to take a picture or not but just inside the door on the left side of the water connection compartment is a large label that gives you step by step instructions.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
jacksonjack

Well.... I tried to winterize it but ran into one problem.... where is the hot water heater by-pass ? When I started pumping in antifreeze it started filling the the water heater .
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Call yourudealer

If you cannot find it, make a call to your delivering dealer. If no luck, call around to CW stores and inquire regarding your model. OR, you can trace it by following every line to the HW heater. It's not hard to find, but can be a PITA since there is no consistency.

Just for example; on my Outback, I have to crawl a small way into the compartment where I generally store my outside stuff; pull out 2 screws and remove a panel, search like a mouse needing cheese on the rear of the HW holding tank and there , by golly, is a small lever that when pulled down closes the water intake to the tank.

As I said, each is different, but persistence will pay off,

Good luck....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

The HW tank bypass is almost always located directly behind the HW tank. Locate your HW tank and the shutoff will be on the back/interior side of the tank. As indicated above, you may have to remove a panel, drawer, etc., to access it. It is there.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
Well.... I tried to winterize it but ran into one problem.... where is the hot water heater by-pass ? When I started pumping in antifreeze it started filling the the water heater .
Mine is a 2013 300mp and like I said in my original post, the water heater bypass is located below and to the right of all of your water connections. It's just a little lever and it should be labeled. I would have thought that all 300mp's would be the same. Guess not.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
jacksonjack

Thanks for the info. I don't know if mine is different than yours ???? You might be lucky. On the panel there is the lever that directs the flow of anti-freeze into the lines. All it does is allow the pump to suck in the antifreeze.
What i found was it did not stop the antifreeze from filling the Hot water heater.
I had to open the cargo door next to the water heater, remove the white plastic panal that was secured by 6 screws, then sure enough the was the water heater by pass lever. It allowed me to pump anti-freeze thru the lines with none going into the hot water heater.
When I pulled the rod out of the water heater antifreeze ran out until I turned that lever.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
jacksonjack

It really makes you wonder...... couldn't they easily figure out how to put in a lever that's easily accessable to by pass the water heater ???
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
720Deere

They have at least on the Fuzions, but I assume the Raptors are the same. My 2013 Fuzion 315 has a heater bypass lever on the water control panel. It looks the same as the tank fill lever.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
It really makes you wonder...... couldn't they easily figure out how to put in a lever that's easily accessable to by pass the water heater ???
Apparently they have because my unit has exactly that. It has one lever for the winterize mode and another for the water heater bypass each easily accessible next to the water hookup. There is no longer a panel to remove. Again, the 2013 model manufactured this past July.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
dpkimmel2001

Just found this pic that I had taken a little while back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02755.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	2130  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
jacksonjack

Mines a 2011. I'm glad they figured it out. It wasnt that big a pain to pull the panel but it seemed that it shouldn't have been that hard to do what they did with your guys
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
jacksonjack

I might go buy the dealers to see if I can figure out how to fab something.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
jacksonjack

Just saw your pic. yep you have an extra knob