Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #1
Dave W

What is it?

I've been doing the RV 'thing' for a long time. Most RVs come with tools that it is pretty evident as to what they do. I pulled one out yesterday that I've carried around assuming (and ya'll know what that word means) that it was to raise the rear electric stabilizers/jacks in case of power or motor failure. Nope. The tool that raises the landing gear in case of a problem is the same one that can be used for the stabilizers.

This tool is about 28" long, shaped like a socket speed handle and has a 3/4" double hex socket welded on the end. I have no need/use for this 'tool' from what I can see!!!
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
K_N_L

Is it to lower your spare tire? Mine is suspended under the unit and is lowered with a socket.
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:31 AM   #3
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_L View Post
Is it to lower your spare tire? Mine is suspended under the unit and is lowered with a socket.

Could have been though that piece of junk went to the steel dumpster at the transfer station a couple years ago after dragging the spare one too many times.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
Javi

I don't know what slides you have, but possibly for that..
Old 07-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I don't know what slides you have, but possibly for that..

Nope - the slides are BAL cable and I have 2-3 of their supplied flex tools for use in a cordless drill
Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
Movin' on

It sounds like a tool that came with a Cougar that we once had. It was for raising and lowering the rear stabilizers. Could be that someone at the factory added a tool that didn't necessarily go with your rig. Just a guess.

I never used the one that "belonged" with ours. A cordless drill worked much better and faster.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Speaking "out loud" with possibilities:

1. Is it to operate the front electric landing gear?
2. Is it to operate the rear stabilizer jacks (on units not equipped with automatic leveling?

Other possibilities, to operate slides and to lower the spare have already been ruled out.

Typically, the front landing gear is a 1/2" deep well socket with slits cut on each side and the rear stabilizer jacks are 3/4" nuts, so I'd guess it was put in your RV as a part of a "generalized accessory pack" even though the RV may not have manual or electric stabilizer jacks because of an optional automatic system upgrade....

As I said, just making some guesses based on possibilities, nothing for sure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Speaking "out loud" with possibilities:

1. Is it to operate the front electric landing gear?
2. Is it to operate the rear stabilizer jacks (on units not equipped with automatic leveling?

Other possibilities, to operate slides and to lower the spare have already been ruled out.

Typically, the front landing gear is a 1/2" deep well socket with slits cut on each side and the rear stabilizer jacks are 3/4" nuts, so I'd guess it was put in your RV as a part of a "generalized accessory pack" even though the RV may not have manual or electric stabilizer jacks because of an optional automatic system upgrade....

As I said, just making some guesses based on possibilities, nothing for sure.

John - no for your 1 & 2 'guesses'.

I think, after the others have made their 'guess' is that it was for the original and now trashed spare lift and/om manual rear stabilizers. I have a couple spare BAL scissor stabilizers left over from the last 5er and they take a 3/4" wrench of some sort. As I said in the OP, the front legs and the electric stabilizers use the same tool and that is indeed a slotted socket.

Oh well, if anyone needs a long handled dedicated 3/4" socket 'speed' handle, and are close by, I will gladly gift it to their cause