Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
Rdowns

Interior doors opening in travel?

Every time we travel anywhere our interior doors that run drivers side to passenger side open up and start swinging around like a Texas tornado. This is specifically the bedroom door and the garage door. I dont want to see any damage from this, which the garage door has already got a few scratches on it from hitting tie down straps.

The doors seem to shut properly and latch fully when parked, Im assuming the movement and twisting when driving is allowing the latches to pop out of the catch plate on the frame.

Any suggestions or fixes to this that anyone has done?
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you considered slipping a "bungee cord" around the door knob and attaching it to something nearby that's not going to move? That way the door can be "stabilized" without having to do any permanent modifications.

Another alternative might include a "screen door eye latch" or "slide bolt latch" installed on the door to "lock it in place" when preparing for travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
sw342
Permanent User Ban

A lot of flex in these trailer frames. My door to the garage and bedroom door will close when level or on the front landing gear. Once I am hooked up forget about it. I put an extra pillow behind the bedroom door when traveling so the knob will no go through the wall when the door is swinging. The door to the garage I have a block of wood I use for our extended table that I will put behind the door when in transit so the knob will not keep bending up the blinds or touching the window in the garage.

The bathroom door that runs north/south will stay shut at all times, but the other two doors that run east/west will not stay shut. Must be a lot of side to side flex in the frame. I have adjusted the catches for the latch, but that only gives you two options. They will either stay closed while in transit and not latch when leveled or swing while in transit and latch when leveled. I chose to go with the latter.

Its another quality product brought to you by Lippert components and Keystone.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Steve S

Use some of those wedged shaped rubber door stops, that's what I always did and I never had any problems.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
dcg9381

That's a lot of flex to un-latch it if the latch is seated.
I haven't had a problem with the interior doors - we're 37' long.

I have had the issue with interior cabinet doors, including having them sheer themselves off. This is solved by a better locking mechanism and or some bungees - depending on your flavor of resolution.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
spicercars

We had the same problem with the bedroom door when we got our raptor. The latch on the door jamb was not aligned right and the door felt closed but as soon as we took off the door would open. Realigned the latch to make sure the door would close right and never had a problem since then. Make sure you check it before you start rigging things to keep the door closed rather then fixing the problem.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Use some of those wedged shaped rubber door stops, that's what I always did and I never had any problems.
X2
Present trailer and last trailer I've had to use door stops to prevent doors from swinging open. Shower door also came unlatched and came off the track. Now I use a large pool noodle to wedge against shower door to stop movement.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
gearhead

Good info. My bedroom and bathroom doors are close to each other. I occasionally find one unlatched after traveling. The doorknobs are about 8 inches apart when closed. Bungee cord works perfect.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:10 AM   #9
bsmith0404

If you have space to adjust the catch plate without it causing problems while stationary, I'd start by doing that. I've found that cardboard from a cereal box makes a very effective spacer and can easily make small adjustments by adding more layers. If that doesn't work for you, a simple towel on the floor across the bottom of the door may do the trick.

As for protecting the walls from the door knob, get the round rubber bumpers that stick to the wall with two sided tape. About a $3 purchase at Walmart or any home improvement store.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Rdowns

WOW, I love how creative people get! Bungee cords, door stops, pool noodles, cardboard.... to funny! I will be trying some of the following though to see what works!
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdowns View Post
WOW, I love how creative people get! Bungee cords, door stops, pool noodles, cardboard.... to funny! I will be trying some of the following though to see what works!
I hope that the ideas work for you and that you don't have anymore problems and can tow with a piece of mind that everything will be OK when you reach your next destination
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
wtxdxer

Install magnetic door stops and leave the doors open.

On my 26SAB the bedroom door will not open enough to allow entry when the BR slide is in. I was concerned if I left the door closed and had a slide problem I couldn't get to it to work on it. I installed a magnetic door stop and now leave the door open all the time. The magnetic door stop holds the door securely.

Regards,

Alan
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #13
koko

Bungee cords are a camper's best friend. The other day we were traveling down I-80 in 50+ mph winds, and twice on left curves our entry steps came crashing down. The wind literally blew them down. Very dangerous, not to mention traveling in that kind of wind. We used a bungee to keep them up the rest of the way home. We had lubricated those steps before we went on the trip, and they were way too easy to bring down. We use a bungee to hold one of our large drawers shut when we'll be traveling on dirt roads. Also, found a door knob protector for interior doors so if they do come open (or we forget to close them), the knob doesn't dent anything.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote