Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Bill & Deb

RV Fridge tripping CO2 Detector(s) ?

We just arrived in south Florida. Today after setting up, I turned on the Air Conditioner and shut everything up and went grocery shopping. When we returned the CO detector in the living room and the bedroom were beeping double beeps.
The only thing on that was running on propane was the fridge. So after airing the trailer out and switched the fridge to 110VAC. It took a while but the alarms stopped.
Tomorrow I plan to get a CO2 detector that shows PPM and then turn the fridge back on propane.

I have googled RV fridge and carbon monoxide and can not find much.

This is a one year old trailer and the kitchen floor was replaced in August due to the slide scratching the crap out of the floor. They told me they tilted the fridge/stove slide back to replace the floor. I have been wondering if they created a problem. I also find that the fridge in electrical mode does not cool as well compared to propane in very hot weather.

Anyone ever experience anything like this.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It seems to me that RV refrigerators get colder on LP. May be due to the amount of heat produced by a flame vs an element.

As far as the CO issue, I would be checking the seal on the fridge to the cabinet it's in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have the owner's manual for your CO detector, I'd check it for the meaning of a "double beep signal" Seems to me if the detector senses CO at a level strong enough to trigger an alarm, it "blares away" until the battery runs down.

I believe a "double beep" is a signal of a low battery, oversensing problem or ???? I'd check the manual before declaring it "long gone" LOL

Of course having a CO monitor with a digital readout gives more information, but honestly, if there's "any level" of CO, I want the source repaired without me or my family in the trailer.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

You mention that the fridge is in the slide ... if so there should be a fan to vent the heat and any fumes to the outside. Perhaps in the floor repair the fan has been disconnected. Just something else to check, Hank

PS: normally the detector in the living area is a propane/flammable gas detector and is hard wired to 12v dc and close to the floor. It will chirp if house battery is low.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

You'd be amazed at how many refers in slides don't have a fan.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have the owner's manual for your CO detector, I'd check it for the meaning of a "double beep signal" Seems to me if the detector senses CO at a level strong enough to trigger an alarm, it "blares away" until the battery runs down.

I believe a "double beep" is a signal of a low battery, oversensing problem or ???? I'd check the manual before declaring it "long gone" LOL

Of course having a CO monitor with a digital readout gives more information, but honestly, if there's "any level" of CO, I want the source repaired without me or my family in the trailer.

Good Luck

I have two CO detectors both on batteries and one is lithium, one is in living room and the other in the bedroom and they were both going off. So low batteries is out. Will have to see what tomorrow brings.

Bill
Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #7
jsmith948

The OEM CO detector in our Cougar lasted somewhere between 1 1/2 & 2 years.
As John stated, I would look in the manual and see what a "double beep" means.
On ours the code that was beeping indicated that the unit needed to be replaced. FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You'd be amazed at how many refers in slides don't have a fan.
Chuckster
You're right, I am amazed that many refers in slides don't have a fan
How do they vent the heat?

I thought a fan was mandatory for a refer application in a slide
Is it only the Dometic that requires a fan?

Our Cougar refer fan only runs on high ambient days but when it does
It has an annoying ( to me) high pitch sound and I'm making replacing that bad boy with sonething quieter a must do on my project list
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
The OEM CO detector in our Cougar lasted somewhere between 1 1/2 & 2 years.
As John stated, I would look in the manual and see what a "double beep" means.
On ours the code that was beeping indicated that the unit needed to be replaced. FWIW
Mine is a Kiddie. It is a combination fire and CO2. When they "both" went off the Kiddie one was saying "Warning .... Carbon Monoxide Detected .... Evacuate Now" Keep in mind that these had been going for a while when we were not here. So the double beep may be a result of the alarm being on for so long and trying to conserve battery power.

Bill
Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
You mention that the fridge is in the slide ... if so there should be a fan to vent the heat and any fumes to the outside. Perhaps in the floor repair the fan has been disconnected. Just something else to check, Hank

PS: normally the detector in the living area is a propane/flammable gas detector and is hard wired to 12v dc and close to the floor. It will chirp if house battery is low.
Hi Chuckster

Mine is a Dometic and there is a fan that runs occasionally which I assume is to ventilate.

Bill
Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Fans for ventilation would run constantly. I believe yours is on a thermo switch and runs at a particular ambient temp. I added a fan for cooling efficiency. Some of our class A's with a large Dometic unit have two fans above the cooling coils, and again only come on at a set temp.

any answers on your CO detectors?

Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Mine on on living room ceiling and bedroom wall. Both as I recall started going off in less than a year. I removed both and found they had cheap batteries that were several years old. I replaced with good ones and they are still good. I would have to go look and will not at this time but, I think one took a 9v and the other 2 or 3 AAs. The propane detectors can fail after time as mine have before. I think floor cleaners or there odors cause problems for them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote