Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
LZScout

Power to Brake Away Switch

I've been looking for a definitive answer as to whether the "break-away" brake controller is powered on Keystone 5th wheels if the the factory supplied battery cutoff is in the "off" position. My dealer said it has to be turned on. Is there a list of items somewhere that shows the items left live in the off position?

LZScout

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
therink

I could be wrong but I believe that the electronic brakes operate on independent circuit from the factory battery cutoff switch.
An easy way to confirm: unplug trailer from tow vehicle and unplug 115v trailer power cord and place battery cut off switch in the off position. Next remove/pull out the emergency brake away cable at the pin. If the brakes still have power, they will engage and you should be able to hear a slight humming coming from the hubs. You could also place a compass near a brake hub and the compass will move while removing the breakaway switch.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Butch Fuzion

Definitely does on my Fuzion. If you are hooked up just pull the pin and try to move. With mine (3 axles) you aint going nowhere if it engages.
Butch Fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Pmedic4

Electrical power to Break-away brakes

Our Cougar has the power still to the brakes with the cut-off switch off, but then again there is still power to the Landing gear and slides with the Cut-off switch in the off position. (BTW - that is also sort of a issue to some people, because they expect with the Cut-off switch off there wouldn't be any power to the anything ).

However, you would expect there to be power to the break-away switch, because sadly I could see someone leaving the cut-off switch off and forgetting to turn it on when towing. As we all know, when we're hooked up to the TV, the break-away would have power, but if the trailer comes loose, well sh*t!

Question, while fortunately I have never experienced that situation I wonder if anyone else has? I might post this as a general question!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Bob Landry

The break-away switch is connected directly to the battery. if it is not, then it should be. You don't know if you are always going to tow with the battery switch on.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
WaltBennett

The switch is normally held open by the little plastic insert with a cable. There's no power drained from the battery by it UNLESS you pull the plastic insert out (or there's a shorted wire somewhere, but that's another story). There's several other things usually hooked straight to the battery like gas and other powered detectors and possibly your landing gear.

I've heard of several people who inadvertently pulled the insert and didn't realize it. Even dual batteries will drain dead in just a day or two from this.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
RichR

Leaving the breakaway switch on will not only drain the batteries, it can also burn out the brake magnets.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Platinum 6.7

I have pulled mine with battery disconnect on and off without issue. I was told from dealer that the break away receives power from both tow vehicle or from on board battery so either way mine works. FZ390

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Platinum 6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
accordionman

we have some conflicting issues I think . just had my 5th wheel to the dealer for a little warranty work . did not have my power switch turned on . the tech needed some battery power for something and the switch was off . he turned it on and then told me whenever you are towing switch must be turned on for the breakaway cable to work and also to help charge your battery . the slides and landing gear do work with the switch in the off position on my unit.

2013 269FWRET Copper Canyon by Sprinter
2013 Ram 2500 HD hemi
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Bob Landry

Delete Post

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Bob Landry

Another clueless tech. The breakaway switch is connected directly to the battery. How else would it get power if the trailer separates from the TV? The TV is supplying charge voltage to he battery when towing, but in a separation, that goes away.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel