Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
schwalbach

275sbh Impossible to put electric cord in

I have a 2012 275sbh and every time I try to put the electric cord into that mouse hole I have a heck of a time getting it all to fit, wondering if I should put a bigger hole-door in to get more room to make it fit?
Not interested in converting to a plug, just want it all to fit in easier, anyone got any ideas?

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I had the same problem so I installed a larger hatch. Here is the thread and pictures. After removing the old hole cover feel around on the inside for obstructions and best placement for new one. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Ah, I see you have those gremlins in your cord storage compartment. If you are having problems now getting the cord to fit when you are putting it away, wait until you pull it out one day only to find that all you can pull out is 4 feet!

I tired of the hassle of trying to jam it in and then find it tied in knots when trying to pull it out. Cut the cord and installed a Marinco 30A kit. It made life a lot simpler --- check out hankaye's signature. A man of my own heart!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
GaryWT

Check on the inside to see if there is a panel to remove and take a look to see what is happening. Either something is blocking it or the space is just too small.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Ah, I see you have those gremlins in your cord storage compartment. If you are having problems now getting the cord to fit when you are putting it away, wait until you pull it out one day only to find that all you can pull out is 4 feet!

I tired of the hassle of trying to jam it in and then find it tied in knots when trying to pull it out. Cut the cord and installed a Marinco 30A kit. It made life a lot simpler --- check out hankaye's signature. A man of my own heart!
In having flashbacks to my old homestead. I had forgotten about that chord situation, I actually think my mind was blocking it from my memory as a self preservation tactic. So glad my new Alpine has the chord real, that thing is the best thing every developed for RVs

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
schwalbach

can not access it from inside, is in rear left corner and above is a cabinet with no removable part of floor, It is a metal box under the floor and between the frame and the side skirting. It seems to be too much cable for the hole, if I use a 1x2 and shove it back into hole as I feed it in I can get it in but otherwise I am about 10 feet short of getting it all in.
Just seems to not feed it in all the way side to side on the box and it eventually just piles up behind mouse hole.

If you look at attached picture you can see the mouse hole and area behind is box.

I am going to look tomorrow if I can replace mouse hole with hatch, seems like a good option, thanks Hank.

A question for you hank, is the 8x8 hole big enough to work in or if I have room should I do the 11x8 hatch?

And does the hole have a flapper in it to close once the cord is removed but yet allow the cord to pass through when needed? it is a little hard to tell from pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5195.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	6177  

Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Bob Landry

There have been multiple threads on multiple forums about this.

Stuffing that cord back in the hole is always going to be a problem. Access the cord where it connects inside, cut it leaving enough to reach a twist-lock inlet, put a plug on the end and not have to worry about it. The result will be like the photo below.

Actually mine looks different now because I added a second 30A service, but yo get the idea.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalbach View Post
can not access it from inside, is in rear left corner and above is a cabinet with no removable part of floor, It is a metal box under the floor and between the frame and the side skirting. It seems to be too much cable for the hole, if I use a 1x2 and shove it back into hole as I feed it in I can get it in but otherwise I am about 10 feet short of getting it all in.
Just seems to not feed it in all the way side to side on the box and it eventually just piles up behind mouse hole.

If you look at attached picture you can see the mouse hole and area behind is box.

I am going to look tomorrow if I can replace mouse hole with hatch, seems like a good option, thanks Hank.

A question for you hank, is the 8x8 hole big enough to work in or if I have room should I do the 11x8 hatch?

And does the hole have a flapper in it to close once the cord is removed but yet allow the cord to pass through when needed? it is a little hard to tell from pictures.
I only had room for the 8x8 and it works well. The larger one would be better. There is a flap that covers the hole when cord is stowed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
GaryWT

That is low for cord storage. Most are higher on the side of the camper not down at the skirting.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
schwalbach

Took Mouse hole off and only have 4 inches height but about 18 inches wide.

Lots of room in there just not going to the right as much as it needs to.

Ordered JR Products MGE32-A Polar White Small 30/50 Amp which will give me a 4 inch by 4 inch hole, should be able to get hand in there and direct it better than straight in. Just goes straight in until it can't push to side enough!

Thanks everyone for the help! I believe we have a solution, let you know in 2 days when Amazon prime delivers.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
KanTC

The mouse hole on our Laredo was also located very low & close to the fender skirt, so we did the same 'mod' as Hank, using the locking hatch/door.
Very pleased with the outcome, and no more fighting the knotted/tangled power cord -or- ugly words.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote