Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
RedRover

Where is bypass?

Bought a new Cougar 313RLI a month ago and am getting ready for a five week "shake down" cruise. I am concerned that when I reach warmer climes and hook up water for the first time, that the water heater may have been left in the bypass position. I will be able to verify water in the tank before the first firing by cracking the high temp/pressure safety valve but if it was left in bypass, then what? I left an email question at Keystone Customer Service on Sunday and expected an answer on Monday but no reply yet. My intuition is that the bypass, if there is one, require removal of a panel in the basement.
RedRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Don't have the same unit as you, but on a different camper we had in the past had it in a space under the frige, that is also where the hot water heater was. My experience is they are typically somewhere near the water heater. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Javi

Look directly behind the water heater inside the trailer, there should be a panel with screws holding it in place...
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
theasphaltrv'er

Hot Water Tank Bypass

Redrover ... If your hot water tank is beside your front storage bay then yes you will have about 6 screws to remove and slide the panel out that covers the area to the back of the bay. Mine is right beside the storage bay and that's what I have to do. I'm gonna make a door there so I won't have to slide the whole panel over to get to the bypass valve.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRover View Post
Bought a new Cougar 313RLI a month ago and am getting ready for a five week "shake down" cruise. I am concerned that when I reach warmer climes and hook up water for the first time, that the water heater may have been left in the bypass position. I will be able to verify water in the tank before the first firing by cracking the high temp/pressure safety valve but if it was left in bypass, then what? I left an email question at Keystone Customer Service on Sunday and expected an answer on Monday but no reply yet. My intuition is that the bypass, if there is one, require removal of a panel in the basement.
As others have stated, the bypass is on the vertical Pex tubing directly behind the water heater and is only ¼ turn. (Access varies from model to model) DO NOT use the T&P valve to verify if the tank is full .... The heater is designed to leave an air gap in the tank to allow for expansion of the heated water ... opening the T&P will release that air gap.
Bleeding air (and or antifreeze) from the system is best done from the farthest faucet from the inlet ..... Bleed cold water first. If the bypass is open it will take considerably longer for the air to bleed from the hot since the 6 gal tank is full of air. If your system was winterized with antifreeze the bypass should be still closed. DO NOT open bypass until antifreeze is flushed from system so it does not get into WH tank. Be sure to empty antifreeze from low point drains or the taste and smell will come back to haunt you. (It won't hurt you but it makes a lousy cup of coffee)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
RedRover

Thanks for the replies. Still have not heard from Keystone Customer Service.
Yes the water heater is next to the "basement" wall. Will look there tomorrow. If that is where it truly is, then a small access door would be appropriate.
This afternoon it warmed up enough to crawl under the trailer and install an extension to the fresh water tank drain, with a valve at the trailers edge. Much handier than crawling under and removing a pipe cap. Also nice to rinse hands after handling the black tank dump duties instead of tracking through to the bathroom.
While underneath I noticed a piece of that corrugated plastic stuff, about 15 inches square, that was screwed to the main belly sheet of the same material. Thought it must be an access to some plumbing in the floor so I took out the four corner screws and discovered nothing. There was no hole or access but my hunch is that it does mark the location of plumbing for my island kitchen, for future repairs?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Usually that access marks the location of a slide motor that can be manually operated if the slide will not retract. If it is directly in line with the slide mechanism that is what it is for.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
RedRover

Thanks to all for the help in finding my way around my new trailer.
Yes the bypass valve was concealed behind a basement panel.
I have cut a 7 X 7 square access door and attached a section of piano hinge to one side. Easy access next time.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
tink53

We have the same model and the bypass is accessed by removing a vented panel on the bottom step inside.
tink53 is offline   Reply With Quote