Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Jim Dow

New Front Compartment Transfer Switch/Power Connector

Montana High Country 2011: I added a new power transfer switch and power input terminal in the front (generator) compartment of my TT. This allows me to provide 50amp power to the TT from either end of the TT. Since it is convenient to store the 50amp power cable in the generator compartment, I now have a choice for connecting to shore power from the front or rear of the TT.

Also, I added a generator prep kit to the TT in case I decide to install a permanently installed generator at some point in the future. Right now, I use a Honda Superquiet ei6000 generator to power the TT. It allows me to use all the appliances and air conditioner at will - so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Transfer Box Plug.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2855  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Jeff_S

Jim,
Nice job! Can you elaborate on the transfer switch....what type and where did you put it?

Jeff Scott

2014 Montana High Country 318
1999 Ford F250, 7.3L Diesel
Banks Exhaust Brake,Trans Command,Trans Lock
Superchips CORTEX tuner
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
WaltBennett

I've been off and on thinking about putting one on the street side just in back of the basement door. Seems to me that it would make life a lot easier. I've never, ever gotten a good answer as to why 5th wheel manufacturers love putting the receptacle on the rear. In a Montana, if you remove the rear basement wall on the curb side you'll see where they run the power from the rear all the way from there to hook up to the power panel & converter. Why they don't they just come from somewhere on the street side where it'd be easier to hook up?

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
rclark

All RV parks are different, but it always seems to me the power pole in or near the middle of the space on the drivers side. Seems like my 30 ft power cord barely reaches in a lot of parks and this pushes sewer hose connection farther away. Not sure why the connection in always on the rear, but it would be much better near the middle. Oh the middle is taken up by slides.

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
canesfan

Nice job!

I guess I got lucky, maybe to make up for my lack of gravity water fill they put my electric hookup right next to the docking station.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Jeff_S

In our Montana High Country the power comes in at the very center of the back of the trailer. right where you might want to put a trailer hitch to carry bikes or anything for that matter. What I am going to do is to buy another Blue Sea Easy Lock 50 Amp connector and install it amidships near the utility panel. I could just disconnect the rear connector and not use it at all (you would never just tie two connectors in parallel because it is a safety hazard). But the system would be more versatile if the two inlet connectors came in through a 3-pole, manual power transfer switch. Then you could use either back or side connections. But I can't seem to find a reasonably priced transfer switch which incorporates a secure interlock. Two back to back triple breakers would do the trick and that is the direction I'm heading. A center mechanical bar would insure only one triple breaker could be on at a time. This is why I asked Jim Dow what kind of a transfer switch he is using because I want to do this job at minimum cost. A low cost mechanical transfer switch would do the job just fine.

Jeff_S

2014 Montana High Country 318
1999 Ford F250, 7.3L Diesel
Banks Exhaust Brake,Trans Command,Trans Lock
Superchips CORTEX tuner
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Comptech

Jim,
This is a great idea, could you provide some information on the parts used?
and Maybe a few more pictures..... I really want to do this mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
Montana High Country 2011: I added a new power transfer switch and power input terminal in the front (generator) compartment of my TT. This allows me to provide 50amp power to the TT from either end of the TT. Since it is convenient to store the 50amp power cable in the generator compartment, I now have a choice for connecting to shore power from the front or rear of the TT.

Also, I added a generator prep kit to the TT in case I decide to install a permanently installed generator at some point in the future. Right now, I use a Honda Superquiet ei6000 generator to power the TT. It allows me to use all the appliances and air conditioner at will - so far.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Comptech

Jim,
Also, how do you run the power cord out of the 5er in the front?

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
GaryWT

Looks good but a couple questions. Did you do this in a 5th wheel or a TT? Maybe this is what the switch is for but someone else was thinking of doing this but if the new plug was used, the would leave the original plug live with male connectors at 50A, if anyone touched them it would not be good. So, is the switch for one outlet or the other? Good luck with it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Jim Dow

Extra Power Transfer Switch in Front Compartment

I had the extra power transfer switch in the front compartment put in as part of my negotiations when purchasing the Montana High Country TT. I'm glad I did.

I don't know what the brand/model number is; but it is active all the time - as is the original power connecter/transfer switch in the rear of the TT.

The front power transfer switch is accessed by running the power cable up through an existing hole in the floor of the front storage compartment. The hole has a screw-in plug for the hole when the cable is not in use.

This arrangement is quite convenient.

Also, I purchased a 90 degree adapter plug which allows the heavy power cord to hang straight down the back wall of the front storage compartment.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote