Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
Cracker

Wallpaper Trim

The 10 inch wide vinyl-like (wallpaper?) trim strip running around the interior of my Cougar is in excellent shape but it is losing its’ adhesion along the bottom 1/2” or so and curling outward slightly. Has anyone had good luck re-gluing the edges without making a mess? I keep thinking some sort of contact cement - but that’s where the “mess” potential comes in.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
jsmith948

Contact cement should work. We recently glued a thin, wrought iron decorative sign onto a piece of plywood using 'Gorilla' brand clear super-glue.
If you want to avoid the possibility of a mess, you might consider simply removing the decorative strip. We did that on our Cougar. DW thought it made the interior "cleaner". Warmed it up slightly with her hair drier and it came right off.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Contact cement should work. We recently glued a thin, wrought iron decorative sign onto a piece of plywood using 'Gorilla' brand clear super-glue.
If you want to avoid the possibility of a mess, you might consider simply removing the decorative strip. We did that on our Cougar. DW thought it made the interior "cleaner". Warmed it up slightly with her hair drier and it came right off.
That’s the alternative I was thinking about. Good to know that it comes off without leaving any residue. My unit is a 2005 Cougar RLS.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
jsmith948

There was some glue residue left after we removed the strip. A little rubbing alcohol on a clean white cloth took care of it.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On a 2005 trailer, there will be some "sun fading" to the wallboard covering. When you pull the 10" trim from the wallboard, you will have a visible "not faded" stripe around your trailer walls. It may or may not be such that you like the appearance. Just don't think it will come off and look like it was never there, not on a 13 year old trailer.

One way to help prevent "sloppiness" when applying contact cement is to use blue painter's tape along the edge of the wall, then use a small brush (I use an acid brush) to paint the area to be re-glued. The painter's tape helps keep any overbrushing from happening. Once the contact cement has dried and the parts pressed into place, simply pull the painter's tape from the wall and all the "extra glue" will be on the tape, not the wall.

As a third alternative, you might consider repainting the trailer interior. Latex paint has come a long way and you can find anything from "high gloss" to "egg shell" to "flat" to "slightly textured" paint in any color imaginable. A coat of paint on the walls and some self adhesive plastic tiles on the kitchen backsplash will change the interior so much you wouldn't recognize the place anymore.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

You can buy some really nice looking duct tape these days!
https://www.ebay.com/i/271230433284?chn=ps

You ever watch one of those RV reality tv shows where a first time buying couple goes into an RV and the gal is almost always left in shock by the patterns on the walls, the back splash in the kitchen, the upholstery etc.??? I wonder who designs the interiors? Most look like TV test patterns (for any of you who are old enough to know what I mean). Would you put the border or fabric coverings in your house? bwhahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote