Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
AHoyMate

Cougar vents - Pre-wired for fan?

Does anybody know if the high vent in main coach space (333MKS or similar) is pre-wired for a fan? The master bedroom is wired for AC, but I want to add a MaxxAir fan in the main living area. Don't want to deal with the switched 12V light if I don't have too. Thanks.
AHoyMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
TAZ23

Unless it has changed, there is no "extra wiring run to the vents exempt for the second A/C in the bedroom. If we wanted to add a fan we would have to either run a wire or pay someone else to.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Remove the vent trim and reach inside in all directions. You should find several wires in most cases. With a circuit tester and pulling some fuses you can identify what they feed and the amperage they are rated for.(thicker wire should be larger fuse) Choose a circuit that is higher than what the fan requires and tap into it with a fused wire that is lower than the main circuit. Try to use a circuit that is not under load at the same time as the fan. The wires are up there ..... just a matter of reaching them. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To follow with Hankpage's excellent advice, in almost all situations (but not every one), if you feel a Romex cable, it's going to be 120VAC. If you feel individual wires, it will almost always be 12 DC. So, you can eliminate much of the "guesswork" while searching the ceiling wiring. You'll still need to verify the source, fuze and do the wiring, but maybe this will help you to more easily find what you're looking for.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Remove the vent trim and reach inside in all directions. You should find several wires in most cases. With a circuit tester and pulling some fuses you can identify what they feed and the amperage they are rated for.(thicker wire should be larger fuse) Choose a circuit that is higher than what the fan requires and tap into it with a fused wire that is lower than the main circuit. Try to use a circuit that is not under load at the same time as the fan. The wires are up there ..... just a matter of reaching them. JM2¢, Hank
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To follow with Hankpage's excellent advice, in almost all situations (but not every one), if you feel a Romex cable, it's going to be 120VAC. If you feel individual wires, it will almost always be 12 DC. So, you can eliminate much of the "guesswork" while searching the ceiling wiring. You'll still need to verify the source, fuze and do the wiring, but maybe this will help you to more easily find what you're looking for.
X3

I've reached around a few times and have found wires where I'd never expect to find them. As stated ^^^^ test them for the higher voltages.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

In all the trailers, motor homes I've worked on, I can say with confidence:

Solid core wire in Romex will be AC (110V) and stranded wire will be DC (12V)

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

Talked to my service manager with the same question . He said there are wires there for something I cannot recall. He said they would not be sufficient for a Fantastic Fan ~~ wanted remote~~ Never investigated farther as not really needed with 2 ACs.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
busterbrown

Remove the garnish ring of the vent opening you're considering the installation at. Look between the ceiling rafters with a flash light and the end of a hooked wire coat hanger. There's a chance you'll find something running parallel with the trailer. It's relatively easy to pick up power for non-switchable 12 volt sources (over head stove vents, fridges, lights). Stiff fishing tape is recommended. Running wires will be the hardest part of the job. Second will be removing the old Dicor and Buytl tape off the roof. I just completed the install last week.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Tim-Rhonda

I just had a max air fan with the remote installed in out 2015 333MKS. The first ceiling light had a hot wire they were able to tap into.
08 Fleetwood Niagara popup
USN Chief Retired
Tim-Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, vent