Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Astroinfidel

Wheel rating for 2009 Everest 345S?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I can run a G rated tire (Goodyear G614R ST) at 110 psi on the original rims of my 2009 Everest 345S?

Thanks!
Dean
Astroinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If your OEM wheels are aluminum, then probably not. Most aluminum wheels are rated at 94 PSI. If your OEM wheels are steel, then possibly, but you'd need to look at the back of the wheel, get the information that's there and contact the manufacturer of the wheel to get the maximum PSI rating for the wheel. Remember that even if the wheel is rated for use at 110 PSI, it may not be rated to carry the maximum weight rating of the tire, so if there is a difference, the lowest rating is what limits the wheel/tire pair.

Keep in mind that Keystone may have used more than one brand and/or model of wheel during 2009 and what is OEM on one trailer may not be the same brand/model wheel as the next one down the assembly line.

ADDED: If you're considering upgrading to G series tires, you might want to consider Sailun. Many members here have found that brand to be much less expensive and just as reliable as the Goodyear LRG tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Astroinfidel

Thanks John,

There is some good info there. I will get a look at the info written on the wheels ASAP, and go from there. And I will check into those tires as well. Thanks again for your reply.

Dean
Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
gearhead

Very good info as usual from John.
It can get a bit fuzzy. You may not find an air pressure rating on the back of the wheel, just a weight rating. And, you may find 2 sets of numbers like for example 6H3240 and 8H3850, which I assume is 6 HOLES 3240 pounds. Then I would reference what load rating that 3240 is, say it's load range E, which is 80psi. So I would assume if the wheel is not stamped for the weight load rating of a G tire, it should not be inflated to max air pressure of a G tire.
Here is where we get in the weeds and you are on your own. I'm not recommending anything. But...if you spend some time searching this forum you may find an email to a forum member from Sailun saying you can run their "G" tire at less than max air pressure IF you are not exceeding the load rating of the tire at THAT pressure. An example is my tire and weight: I have E rated tires with plenty of reserve capacity at their max 80psi. Per the Sailun email I could run their G tire at 80psi and have even more reserve capacity. But as forum member CW will say, you must have a wide enough wheel at the rim for G tires.
But wait, there's more. If you look on eTrailer you will see several customers ask the question about wheels and max pressure. You may see several answers that say if you run steel valve stems with nuts instead of push in rubber valves, you can run higher pressure. They are referring to a particular wheel so don't assume that is generic to all wheels.
So like many on forums say, without really saying it, is "just do what I do". Here's what I did: I called my wheel manufacturer.
"Can I run my Sendel wheel at 110psi?"
NO, it will crack around the center.
OK.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Astroinfidel

Thanks gearhead,

Geez...well now I am leaning to just buying new wheels that I know are up to the task of 110 psi and the load the tires can take. As far as I can see from the Everest literature, I have aluminum wheels. I am not near the unit now to check in person.

I have a Tireminder TM77 on the way, and will be using it with whatever tires, wheels/valve stems that I end up getting. I just retired from driving truck and bus, and I am kind of disappointed at the current state of tires available for 5th wheels, and the number of horror stories I am reading. I'll spend whatever I need to spend to ensure peace of mind in this regard. It seems you pay now or pay later when you damage your rig with a blowout. May as well pay now and avoid the inconvenience/danger.
Dean
Old 12-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
gearhead

Before you spend money I would be sure what you have now.
We are on our second 5th wheel and the first thing I did to both of them was replace the original junk tires with Maxxis brand. If I was going to G rated I would put Sailun S637 at the top of the list. It is a steel cased tire. Be careful what you buy, Sailun makes other tires.
Look on eTrailer.com for wheels. They have some 16" that they say are rated to 200psi. But if you look at the "Q&A" for the wheels their answers for "max PSI" are all over the map. If you get as far as buying new wheels, I would call them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
bsmith0404

You can find new wheels on Amazon for a good price as well. I just bought these for $75 each with free shipping. I'll add steel valve stems for use with my TST 507 TPMS and mount my G rated tires. Looking forward to this new set up rolling down the highway very soon. BTW, this wheel was recommended for my setup by the rep at Sendel Wheel. You can call them anytime and ask about your specific setup/weights as well as what you want to run for tires. They are very friendly an helpful.

http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/t11bm-0.html

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroinfidel View Post
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I can run a G rated tire (Goodyear G614R ST) at 110 psi on the original rims of my 2009 Everest 345S?

Thanks!
Dean
The GY G614 tire requires a single rim width of 6.5". Here is a reference that will work.

http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/tr8.html

Other manufacturer's will provide similar specs in differing materials.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote