Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
carrollti

Satellite Connection

I just bought a 2017 3661RL Montana. I am trying to hook the satellite up to it. Hooking the cable to the living room sat connection. Don't get anything. Take cable in thru the door and straight connect to the receiver and it works. What do I need to do to get this working?

Thanks,
Tim
carrollti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
msubobcats

Re: Satellite Connection

Possibly "the switch" that powers the antenna may be on.
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
carrollti

I was thinking the same thing if it had only one cable connection on the outside. This one has 3 connections: sat in living room, sat in bed room, cable in. Connecting up to the sat in living room.
6.7 Cummins Diesel
2017 Keystone Montana 3661RL
carrollti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
BillP

I had the exact same problem on our 2015 Cougar. Finally found the problem to be on the back side of the connection outlet located next to the TV. Took the cover off and everything looked good and tight. Unscrewed the cable and found the signal wire pushed back into the cable and making no connection. A little wrangling with needle nose pliers and stretching the cable shield I pulled the signal wire out about 1/4 inch and reconnected. All is good now. I would start by checking all the screwed cable connections both on the front side and backside of the outlets. Almost all the cable connection ends on mine looked to be cut to fit and installed from a bulk reel.
BillP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I had the exact same problem on our 2015 Cougar. Finally found the problem to be on the back side of the connection outlet located next to the TV. Took the cover off and everything looked good and tight. Unscrewed the cable and found the signal wire pushed back into the cable and making no connection. A little wrangling with needle nose pliers and stretching the cable shield I pulled the signal wire out about 1/4 inch and reconnected. All is good now. I would start by checking all the screwed cable connections both on the front side and backside of the outlets. Almost all the cable connection ends on mine looked to be cut to fit and installed from a bulk reel.
Welcome to the forum

And thank you for your post. I often see coax ends not installed correctly, either the signal wire cut short or whiskers of shielding touching the signal wire. Also make sure the sat in DOESN'T go through a splitter. It takes a special type of splitter for Sat signal and I haven't seen any manufacturer install one from the factory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

And thank you for your post. I often see coax ends not installed correctly, either the signal wire cut short or whiskers of shielding touching the signal wire. Also make sure the sat in DOESN'T go through a splitter. It takes a special type of splitter for Sat signal and I haven't seen any manufacturer install one from the factory.
Just received from UPS today my Dish Tailgater Satellite Dish.

Soooo can I run the cable from the Dish Satellite to the outside convenience center satellite connection... then from behind the living room television hook into the satellite port(s) to the Dish Receiver...into the television?

Was wondering why two ports on what seems to be the satellite plate?

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

That sounds right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
Jgkopp

Found that our liv rm sat was marked bed rm at outside compartment. Routed cable in through door for direct hook up to know it was a good signal.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
cardinal96ss

Alpine,
For what it's worth- I purchase a TV coax tracer and found that the coax wiring and labeling on our 2006 Montana was almost all wrong. Frustrating. Last year we purchase the Dish Tailgater and permanently installed the antenna on the top of the RV running the coax down next to the stack into the back of the "entertainment center". I then ran the HDMI out of the receiver into a HDMI splitter (Panlong Premium HDMI Splitter 1 In 4 Out 1x4 4-Port Powered Amplifier with Full HD 1080P, 3D, HDCP Support, from Amazon) and ran HDMI to the LR TV, the bedroom TV and and basement for outside TV viewing. All works extremely well.
I know it's a bit of overkill, but while I was at it I ran an extra coax stub from the basement into the entertainment center in case I ever bought another King tailgater antenna to accommodate those times where the top antenna is blocked by trees and I need to watch NASCAR.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
concours

I had to run a separate cable for the sat, the cable/ant outlet will not power a sat dish. Its made more confusing that Keystone label the connection "Sat" when its only cable compatible Hope that makes sense and helps
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote