Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
Rusty

Slide will not operate from the control panel.

Did a search and could not see this subject anywhere, so hopefully I did not search wrongly!

On our 2013 Cougar 5th wheel our kitchen slide (they named it kitchen however it is half dining area half living room, anyway it is the large street side slide) will not operate from the control panel button, it will retract using the remote.

I finally got through to the service manager after 5 voice mails and bitching to the receptionist, if I have to phone again and hear that freaking voicemail message again I am going to have to get medieval on their butts!!!!!

He said it was most likely a fuse, however when I look at the fuse panel there is nothing for the peripherals, sure there are fuses for everything in the coach, but nothing for the operational items like the slides.

Is there another set of fuses/circuit breakers for the slide systems that I cannot see, would they be behind the control panel? In the basement (that I have not seen!)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Did a search and could not see this subject anywhere, so hopefully I did not search wrongly!

On our 2013 Cougar 5th wheel our kitchen slide (they named it kitchen however it is half dining area half living room, anyway it is the large street side slide) will not operate from the control panel button, it will retract using the remote.

I finally got through to the service manager after 5 voice mails and bitching to the receptionist, if I have to phone again and hear that freaking voicemail message again I am going to have to get medieval on their butts!!!!!

He said it was most likely a fuse, however when I look at the fuse panel there is nothing for the peripherals, sure there are fuses for everything in the coach, but nothing for the operational items like the slides.

Is there another set of fuses/circuit breakers for the slide systems that I cannot see, would they be behind the control panel? In the basement (that I have not seen!)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Did you pull out the switch to see if the wires are all connected?
with 5" exhaust system
2015 Keystone Montana HC 305RL
650 Watt Solar panels, 4 6volt T-105
Go power 3000 inverter.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylwt View Post
Did you pull out the switch to see if the wires are all connected?
That may be my next line of thinking.

She is still under LT warranty so I have to be careful, however as long as they do not see the switch I put in the radio system to shut down power so that there is not a power drain I will be okay!

LOL

Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
ncgrl1

My 2014 Cougar did that as well. Luckily my neighbor is a rv tech. I had to replace the circuit board that was near the battery. Found 1 on e-bay that was a lot cheaper. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Jgkopp

It may be another problem but keep these thoughts in mind. If your battery connections are not wrench tight you could be loosing voltage. Your battery needs to be in good shape to operate this heavy 12 volt load. Could also try hooking up the truck towing cable with it running for some extra supply of 12 volts. It may be to weak to run power through wiring for switch but as you said works on remote. Shore power connected?

Water level checked in trailer battery?
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #6
Fishhawk

[QUOTE=Rusty;202811]Did a search and could not see this subject anywhere, so hopefully I did not search wrongly!

Rusty
On our previous Cougar
If you operated the slides with the remote
You had to open or close the slides with the remote
I couldnt switch between the panel switch and the remote

Dealer couldnt explain why, but thats the way it was

Thats something to try ?
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #7
Rusty

Something tells me this is not right.....a yellow wire that goes to no where...... just have to figure out where it goes to!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
randy69

It sounds like a fuse or lose wire maybe the switch . Got to start tracing the wire back to the motor.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
MBLUMZ

I just arrived at the same issue trying a ton of different things I read on this site and came to the conclusion there was a bad ground coming out of the control box. Where the control box has two different sets of wires at the bottom (One is the line in and one is the line out) We linked the 2 white grounds together and presto. Works perfect with wall switches and remote. Before we were getting the same problem as everyone else (Remote worked but, wall switches wouldn't)
MBLUMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

MBLUMZ,

The remote control "master unit" mounted in your RV uses two "power sources" as you've determined. One is for the manual switches, one is for the remote control head power. What you've done is "over-ridden" the safety circuit which prevents both sections from sending power to the "controlled circuit" (slide, landing gear, awning, etc) from both the manual and remote sources at the same time.

It only becomes an issue if, for example, someone is pressing the manual IN button and someone is pressing the remote OUT button at the same time.

There are several threads on the forum where I've explained to members how to "over-ride" their malfunctioning remote "master unit" by doing what you've done (installing both power in and ground wires on the same terminals of the "master unit". You won't have any problems with your current "rewiring" so long as you don't press both an "IN" and an "OUT" switch simultaneously.

Bottom line is that your remote "master unit" has malfunctioned. If you're in warranty, rewire it appropriately and head to your dealer for a replacement, if you're out of warranty, what you've done will work, maybe indefinitely, maybe until those terminals also fail.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
SkiSmuggs

We ran into the problem a couple years ago, when the rocker switches would not retract our slides. Called our dealer and he said to try the remote which worked after we put a new battery in it. We were told it was the circuit board and they could replace for $800. We continued using the remote until, one day when I forget, I used the control panel and it worked fine. The circuit board locks out the control panel when using the remote to prevent the remote and control panel from being used concurrently. Our problem was temporary and resolved itself.
However, if we turn on the outside lights with the remote, we have to use the remote to turn them off again.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
Voyager

Check out Love Your RV on YouTube, he had the same problem on his Cougar and did a video on fix, turns out the switch contacts just needed cleaning.
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
We ran into the problem a couple years ago, when the rocker switches would not retract our slides. Called our dealer and he said to try the remote which worked after we put a new battery in it. We were told it was the circuit board and they could replace for $800. We continued using the remote until, one day when I forget, I used the control panel and it worked fine. The circuit board locks out the control panel when using the remote to prevent the remote and control panel from being used concurrently. Our problem was temporary and resolved itself.
However, if we turn on the outside lights with the remote, we have to use the remote to turn them off again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Check out Love Your RV on YouTube, he had the same problem on his Cougar and did a video on fix, turns out the switch contacts just needed cleaning.
I recall a manufactures recall (not keystone) on their switches controlling slides. Can not recall the manufacture name at this time Yes, a high resistance switch and a low battery will severely limit power to the slide system. At times adding a new battery can mask over a bad switch (dirty/faulty contacts, etc). On the other hand a high resistance switch and a new battery can also result in heating and possible melting of the switch.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Pmedic4

Remote slide operation versus Wall switch operation

One issue I've noted with our RV, is the remote control for running the slides works much faster than the wall switch control panel. Sounds like there is something about separate power lines to the control panel and the remote service board. Both work, just the one Remote operates it faster.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
Nitrojunkie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
MBLUMZ,

The remote control "master unit" mounted in your RV uses two "power sources" as you've determined. One is for the manual switches, one is for the remote control head power. What you've done is "over-ridden" the safety circuit which prevents both sections from sending power to the "controlled circuit" (slide, landing gear, awning, etc) from both the manual and remote sources at the same time.

It only becomes an issue if, for example, someone is pressing the manual IN button and someone is pressing the remote OUT button at the same time.

There are several threads on the forum where I've explained to members how to "over-ride" their malfunctioning remote "master unit" by doing what you've done (installing both power in and ground wires on the same terminals of the "master unit". You won't have any problems with your current "rewiring" so long as you don't press both an "IN" and an "OUT" switch simultaneously.

Bottom line is that your remote "master unit" has malfunctioned. If you're in warranty, rewire it appropriately and head to your dealer for a replacement, if you're out of warranty, what you've done will work, maybe indefinitely, maybe until those terminals also fail.
Any chance you can lead me to the post of your directions on how to override the safety switch? We just bought a new to us 2013 Cougar 330 RBK and the bottom 2 rows are dead on the control panel. Thanks for your help!
Nitrojunkie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie08 View Post
Any chance you can lead me to the post of your directions on how to override the safety switch? We just bought a new to us 2013 Cougar 330 RBK and the bottom 2 rows are dead on the control panel. Thanks for your help!
In the 2013/2014 Cougar models, there were two issues. First was the "no button/glass touch screen control panel. That "piece of crap" was/is a nightmare for owners. If that's the type of control panel you have, you may not ever be able to get it to work properly. If I remember, the issues started first with the bottom row of "touch sensors" and then moved up. Panels at the time ran about $800 for a replacement panel, installed and set up. Some of those replacements are apparently still working, some failed on the first attempt "out the gate". Keystone eventually moved away from that technology and went back to "manually activated switches" for a year or two, then started looking at the "In-Command system" which has not been "trouble free" but is significantly better than the glass panel touch screen.

The second issue, with the remote control safety interlock is what I was referencing in the post that you quoted. There is a "safety interlock system" on the remote control receiver. It prevents the activation of both the manual switch AND the remote control at the same time. You can imagine the potential damage if you were closing the slide with the manual switch and someone pushed the OUT button on that slide on the remote handheld unit. Same with landing gear, awning, lights, etc. Telling the system to "open and close" at the same time could destroy the circuit or the motor/wiring.

So, Lippert (or their Chinese counterpart) built a safety interlock into the system. When my remote receiver failed, I rewired it to bypass the safety interlock, with the full knowledge that I might completely destroy a component or a system in my trailer if I activated BOTH control systems at the same time....

That said, you can find the thread where I discussed bypassing the safety interlock at this link: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=remote Keep in mind this will not be a "fix" for the inoperable glass panel touch panel. It is a means to bypass the safety interlock on the remote control receiver and get the system to respond in an emergency to "get you home with the slides, awning and landing gear "in the travel mode" after things fail "in the camp mode".... It is intended to "bypass the safety interlock to cause the manual switches to function" It probably won't do anything to get the "glass panel touch screen" to work... but if your system is inoperable, it may be worth the try.

Anyway, check out the link, see if it helps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #17
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie08 View Post
I have had the same problem on my 2014 Cougar on a couple of occasions. The bottom two rows of push buttons will not do anything which includes all three slides and the awning. Buttons do nothing but remote still works. Unhooking the battery unplugging from shore power wait 30 seconds hook everything back up and the buttons go back to working. This has worked for me twice now. Have not been able to figure out what causes the problem yet. Have traded the 2014 off for a new 369BHS hopefully will not have to deal with that problem again.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote