Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2015, 03:49 AM   #1
Campy

Window seal question?

I was going around my camper waxing it and noticed that some windows have bigger gaps than others. What is behind there to seal the window frames to the side walls? To me it looks like a sponge rubber seal? Would it be a good idea to caulk around the windows across the top and down the sides with black silicone? Absolutely everything else on my camper is sealed with silicone.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Window seals can be a few different kinds of material. I have seen butyl tape, rubber strip, and what looks like foam strips.

Its common for some manufacturers to use silicone sealant on the top and sides, but not the bottom. If your not experiencing any leaks you might want to leave it alone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Window seals can be a few different kinds of material. I have seen butyl tape, rubber strip, and what looks like foam strips.

Its common for some manufacturers to use silicone sealant on the top and sides, but not the bottom. If your not experiencing any leaks you might want to leave it alone.
The problem is that if it is leaking or seeping for that matter you won't know till the delam starts then it's too late the damage is done. I'm thinking "preventative" caulking around the windows.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you want to run a bead of sealant around the edge, then as I posted, use a silicone based product and only run the bead on the top and side edges.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
rwmurphy15

I was also looking at my frameless windows the other day and thought the same thing what if they leak how will I know until the damage is done. I wonder if you can pull the windows tighter to the outside wall by tightning some screws or nuts on the inside of the window. I also read another thread awhile back about a guy's glass falling off the frameless windows and he did not know it till he got to his destination. Now thats got me worried about that also.