Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
johndeerefarmer

High County Montana vs Avalanche

Hi

I am looking at a HC Montana 305RL and an Avalanche 295RL.

What can you tell me about differences between the two?

The HC Montana mentions a short radius front cap and extended hitch pin. What about the Avalanche? I have a 2015 F350 PSD with the short bed. I also have the B&W gooseneck hitch. If the trailer has an extended pin box I might can get away with just buying the Reese Goosebox. If not I will have to buy the SuperRail mounting kit and SuperGlide slider

It appears that the 2016 HC is going back to 96" width vs the 100" on the Avalanche from another post on this board

What about total height for each including the BR A/C?

What about frame size etc?

The HC Montana shows more insulation for the roof than the Avalanche but less for the floor. Being from Texas I would prefer more for the roof.
Then again I don't set much store in their R values. If it's not either rigid foam or fiberglass I don't think the bubble wrap type reflective stuff helps much- It might if the sun was reflecting off of it but not if it's behind a wall or roof. What do you think?

Thanks
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
gearhead

Assuming your F350 short bed is a single rear wheel. My F350 is long bed and single rear wheel. Our Montana HC 305RL is listed at 2175 hitch weight. I'm right at 2800 per the scales when road ready. Add 250# for the hitch. I haven't added the washer/dryer combo yet (150#). I do have the bedroom A/C that added about 80 pounds. My truck payload is 3265. What I'm getting at is the Avalanche has a higher pin weight than the Montana. You may be over max with the Avalanche. Look at your payload capacity on the yellow tag inside the drivers door.
From memory, I think my measured height is 13' 8". I did make it under a 14ft bridge a few weeks ago.
We really like the Montana, just need to use it more.
What part of Texas, and what dealer are you looking at?
I don't think you'll need a slider with the Montana.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
johndeerefarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Assuming your F350 short bed is a single rear wheel. My F350 is long bed and single rear wheel. Our Montana HC 305RL is listed at 2175 hitch weight. I'm right at 2800 per the scales when road ready. Add 250# for the hitch. I haven't added the washer/dryer combo yet (150#). I do have the bedroom A/C that added about 80 pounds. My truck payload is 3265. What I'm getting at is the Avalanche has a higher pin weight than the Montana. You may be over to max with the Avalanche. Look at your payload capacity on the yellow tag inside the drivers door.
From memory, I think my measured height is 13' 8". I did make it under a 14ft bridge a few weeks ago.
We really like the Montana, just need to use it more.
What part of Texas, and what dealer are you looking at?
I don't think you'll need a slider with the Montana.
Hi, I have a SRW short bed with the 11200 GVWR. Payload is 3451 lbs.

I am in Denison TX right about 5 miles from the Red River and Oklahoma. RV Station in Colbert is the nearest Keystone dealer. My salesman left RV-Max in Sherman and went over there so I may follow him.

Do you know if the Montana High Country's are approved by the manufacturer for using a Reese Goosebox? if you haven't saw it its changes your pin box to an air ride gooseneck hitch.
Seeing that you have a B&W gooseneck and are using the Kurt X5 how do you like it? Does it appear strong enough? What about the Curt Q20? Can you tell me how far it extends forward past the trailer ball? I need to see if I have room for my genny in the front of the bed.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
gearhead

I think the Montana frame is made by Lippert. They are a partner with Reese and endorse the Goosebox:
http://lci1.com/goose-box

I already had the Curt 5th wheel hitch for a previous trailer or I would have looked at the Goosebox. I do like the Curt, but don't have anything to compare it to. The Goosebox should save you some room in the truck bed.
I'm in southeast Texas near Houston so I can't help you with a dealer. But you may compare price to Holiday World in Dallas.
http://hwhrv.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
johndeerefarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think the Montana frame is made by Lippert. They are a partner with Reese and endorse the Goosebox:
http://lci1.com/goose-box

I already had the Curt 5th wheel hitch for a previous trailer or I would have looked at the Goosebox. I do like the Curt, but don't have anything to compare it to. The Goosebox should save you some room in the truck bed.
I'm in southeast Texas near Houston so I can't help you with a dealer. But you may compare price to Holiday World in Dallas.
Thanks very much. I will take a look at Holiday World and if they are cheaper make RV Station match their price.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Jim Dow

F350 + Montana HC

We have a Montana HC; and we pull it with a F350 (single axel) with a 6.5' bed. We use a B&W Combination hitch. The trailer pulls very well; and the big selling point for the hitch is that there are no rails in the bed.

Great TT/TV/Hitch combination for us.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote