Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
Barbell

That is what I thought too. However, a brand new battery does the same thing the original battery did: with the ground cable completely disconnected; positive connected, goes dead is less than 48 hours. With both cables disconnected, battery will maintain 12+ volts for months. My military MOS was Electrician and I have spoken to a number of automotive electricians including from Keystone and no one has any idea of what the problem is; only that disconnecting both terminals solves it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
That is what I thought too. However, a brand new battery does the same thing the original battery did: with the ground cable completely disconnected; positive connected, goes dead is less than 48 hours. With both cables disconnected, battery will maintain 12+ volts for months. My military MOS was Electrician and I have spoken to a number of automotive electricians including from Keystone and no one has any idea of what the problem is; only that disconnecting both terminals solves it.
Then logic dictates that something in the trailer is positive to ground...
Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #23
NotyetMHCowner

Electrons flow from negative to positive. Automobiles have negative ground systems, so any work you do electrically, you disconnect the negative cable to protect the electronics. If you disconnected the positive, electrons are theoretically wanting to flow from the negative terminal, through the wiring, through the devices, and back to the positive. If you disconnect the negative, it cant even start. To me, it doesn't make any difference. But you will not find an automobile manual to tell you to disconnect the positive. It is always the negative. I assume RV's are wired the same.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
Electrons flow from negative to positive. Automobiles have negative ground systems, so any work you do electrically, you disconnect the negative cable to protect the electronics. If you disconnected the positive, electrons are theoretically wanting to flow from the negative terminal, through the wiring, through the devices, and back to the positive. If you disconnect the negative, it cant even start. To me, it doesn't make any difference. But you will not find an automobile manual to tell you to disconnect the positive. It is always the negative. I assume RV's are wired the same.
That is a great explanation, but the reason for disconnecting the negative cable in an automotive reason, is to lessen the chance of a spark by removing the positive side first. Battery explosions are more susceptible to the spark at the source. I don't disagree with your statement, it's just more of a safety issue I believe. That being said, I do open the positive side with the switch.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #25
Pmedic4

Battery disconnect - sometimes

I make it easy - I remove the battery and put it on the shelf with a battery 'maintainer' hooked up in the garage.

There have been several threads about the Battery disconnect that comes on the RV, and how that doesn't remove the power from the landing gear or rear stablizers, which makes sense, or at least I understand it now.

What I found interesting, one time I had the Disconnect turned off - and yet the lights and pump inside the RV were still working! To say I was 'shocked', is to good of a pun to pass up, but I really was surprised! What it ended up being is that the switch, inside the disconnect didn't 'release', or however you want to describe it so the lights and things stayed powered. I checked, and just bumped the switch, and it snapped off. So, we all may want to check to see if the disconnect switch actually disconnects the power. It probably would bounce it enough to make it go off when traveling down the road?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #26
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I make it easy - I remove the battery and put it on the shelf with a battery 'maintainer' hooked up in the garage.
Unfortunately at my age, the battery is too heavy for me, I have to use the disconnect and I do with great success.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote