Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Sam and Chris

Considering Cougar X-lite 5th wheel

Hi fellow RVers!
After 2 travels trailers, we have sold our last one and looking at 5th wheels. Need a "Lite" model as we tow with a '10 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gas, 3.73 axle ratio. Our GCVWR is 16K. Have looked at several "Lite" models only to find out they are heavier than advertised.
*Are there any happy Cougar X-Lite owners out there?
*Looking at the online brochure, the specs on how they are made and the insulation looks good. Wondering if that goes for the "lite's" also? Saw one post about a 28SGS owner (model we are considering) who said there was no insulation between the bedroom and the storage underneath.
*The 28SGS has such a small awning. Any comments? Do you like that slide on same side as entrance door?
*Any issues with the kitchen appliances located in the slide?
*We have a Pull Rite Super Glide hitch. Will that work with the pin box? (sorry, name of pin box on Cougar escapes me).
*How's the room in the bedroom? Is it really a short rv queen bed?
Appreciate any comments or suggestions as we will probably go take a look in another week.
Blessings and safe travels to all!
Sam and Chris
Sam and Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
BobnLee

Just got back from your State (Cape Charles) Kiptopeke State Park. We have a Cougar 26SAB and love the layout. We also had two grandkids with us 8 and 10 and did not feel crammed in. Bought it new in 2011 and are very happy with this trailer.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
Kdjshep

Thumbs up

We love our 29 RET "lite". The opposing slides give us tons of space in the living room. When we are on the road we can access the frig. The awning is short so you may get wet when entering the camper during a downpour. As for the bedroom. My husband is 6 ft and we both sleep better while camping then at home.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
XLite28SGS

Hi Sam & Chris;
Let me see if I can help!
We have had our 28SGS for 2 1/2 years and love it. It fits our style of camping just fine (two of use, no need to sleep 8).
We pull with a similar TV ('11 GMC 2500HD gas 3.73 gear). It does just fine.
Have had truck & camper on "Cat Scales" (ready to camp) and all wieghts check out fine.
*Insulation seems to be good. WE did have one insident when our 13,500BTU AC could not keep-up, 4th of July in PA - 98*f in the shade. Storage area insulation - That area is heated if you run your propane furnace (Polar Package).
*Small awning - Yes. Between the small awning & the slide next to the door the awning is just a roof over the door and a table we put out next to the steps. We use a screen "EZ-UP" most of the time.
*Kitchen Appliances in slide - No issues, however I do inspect the flex lines (electric & propane) under the slide on a regular basis.
*I also use a SuperGlide hitch. Pin box on mine is "Lippert 1621".
*Bedroom - Bed is a short Queen. I am 6'-1" and don't have any problem, but do plan a mod. for a full size queen. It will fit but will have to modify the platform.

Do a search of my posts for more comments on the XLite 28SGS.

Where are you located in Virginia? We will be out Camping 4 of the next 7 weekends (all in Virginia). Would love to have you come by and look at our rig.

Allan
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
axg1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Chris View Post
Hi fellow RVers!
After 2 travels trailers, we have sold our last one and looking at 5th wheels. Need a "Lite" model as we tow with a '10 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gas, 3.73 axle ratio. Our GCVWR is 16K. Have looked at several "Lite" models only to find out they are heavier than advertised.
*Looking at the online brochure, the specs on how they are made and the insulation looks good. Wondering if that goes for the "lite's" also? Saw one post about a 28SGS owner (model we are considering) who said there was no insulation between the bedroom and the storage underneath.
*The 28SGS has such a small awning. Any comments? Do you like that slide on same side as entrance door?
*We have a Pull Rite Super Glide hitch. Will that work with the pin box? (sorry, name of pin box on Cougar escapes me).
Appreciate any comments or suggestions as we will probably go take a look in another week.
Sam and Chris
We are also in VA (Virginia Beach) and pick up our new 2015 28SGS HC tomorrow.
- I did extensive research on pin weight on this model and based upon other owners the wet scaled pin weight was anywhere from 1500 - 1800. The yellow door sticker on my unit had the dry weight at 7840 which is a bit higher than website.
- Yes the awing is a bit small but we also use a pop up canopy when we camp so not a deal breaker for us.
- Our local dealer only installs Pull Rite hitches so I doubt you would have an issue.
- The bedroom is not too tight and too be honest I am not sure if it is a short queen. We both are under 6' so no issue for us.
We shopped several brands but kept coming back to the Courgar Xlite due to the auto levelers, the local dealer and other owner's comments.
axg1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
theasphaltrv'er

Morning Sam & Chris;
We have the 28SGS's smaller cousin a 14 26sab. Have had it out 8 or 10 times since we bought it back in February and are very pleased with it as we have not had one problem with it. Have about 2500 miles on it and 100% of the time we've boon docked with it.
Dry #'s ...pin 1190, axle weight 5890 & total dry is 7080. Pin weight loaded is 1360 & loaded axle weight is 7005# and total weight is 8365. Our little HD 150 is a perfect match for it.
We seriously looked at the 28SGS but with the #'s it was to much for our little 150 so we got it's smaller cousin.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
GmaPaTime

Hello neighbor's.. As we have not received our X-Lite 29RLI yet, we can't vouch for anything quite yet but truly believe you're not going find a better 5er in that price range. We looked for a long time and always kept coming back to the cougar. You'll be happy with that choice
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hi fellow RVers!
Yes there are a number of happy XLite owners. We have the 27RKS and are very satisfied with it. There are a "few" disgruntled owners of the XLite's, but far more are happy with their trailer.

The XLite fifth wheel passthrough storage area is insulated and heated. The bathroom floor is within that space, so there is not as much need to insulate the bathroom floor as it is in the heated area already. There is a large, flat aluminum heat duct that runs under the bathroom floor. We've camped down to about 20F and the bathroom floor has been warm to walk on with bare feet. I don't see a problem with no insulation under it. Keep in mind that the Cougar and XLite are two different brands. The Cougar has R-9 sidewall insulation, the XLite has R-7 sidewalls. The Cougar has (I believe) a 7/8" plywood (structurwood) solid floor, the XLite has a 1/4" plywood-2" foam'1/4" plywood "sandwich" floor. Structurally, we've had no problems with this, but it's not the same construction as the heavier Cougar. Also, the holding tank sizes are significantly smaller in the XLite. There are other subtle differences so check both brochures carefully.

The awning on the 28SGS is 10' long, it is much smaller than "normal". That is one of our reasons for not buying that model. We use the area outside our RV for much of our camping. With the small awning and the slide taking up much of that side of the RV, we felt it would change how we like to camp, so we elected to go with a different floorplan.

Appliances in slides is becoming much more popular. While there is a potential for the gas line to eventually fray and weaken, examining it regularly should prevent any "surprises". Most people with appliances in the slide haven't made mention of any significant problems, but keep in mind that with the refrigerator in the slide, there is a fan behind it that runs to keep the air moving past the coils. That fan has been the topic of discussion in a number of complaints about noise. Dometic doesn't consider a "loud fan" as defective and won't replace it for that reason. That has made some owners unhappy.

XLite uses an "industry standard" Lippert (LCI) pinbox. Depending on the model trailer, it's either a 1620 or a 1621. You should have no trouble with your hitch.

Yes, it's a "short queen mattress". Almost all of the XLite fifth wheel models have the same "upper deck" floorplan. Ours is the same as the 28SGS. The bathroom door (into the bedroom) doesn't close completely against the wardrobe slide. There is a small gap at the bottom and at the top. No "privacy" issues, but sounds and smells do travel well through that space. There is about 24" of space from the bathroom wall to the end of the bed. That is enough space to install a standard queen mattress, but you'd need to reinforce/modify the platform. We just pull the short queen mattress down about 6" and tuck a couple of 30" roll pillows between the top of the mattress and the headboard. The sheets fit better and we haven't had any issues with the "lump under the pillow". We push the mattress back into position to travel as it seems to slide around if left pulled out. Otherwise, no problems with the mattress. We did replace our mattress before even sleeping on the Cougar mattress, so I can't tell you if it's comfortable or not. We already had the replacement, liked it, so we didn't even consider trying the new one.
Sam and Chris
There are a large number of Cougar XLite owners on the forum. Only a very limited few have posted negative comments, so overall I'd believe that the vast majority are satisfied.

Keep in mind that the "west coast edition", the Cougar Half-Ton series, is the "sister" of the Cougar XLite. Both are very similar in most floorplans and the biggest difference I can see is the size of the holding tanks. They are significantly bigger in the Half-Ton series. Otherwise, they appear to be very much the same trailer in most of the floorplans.

One item to keep in mind is that both the Half-ton and the XLite are "mid height" fifth wheels. They have about 6'3" of headroom in the bathroom and in the bedroom part next to the bathroom. But at the foot of the bed there is a platform step about 10" high. The headroom at the sides of the bed is about 5'5" high. You won't get into bed without bending over and "stooping". So if that's an issue, look closely at that "feature". Some don't mind, others "hate it".....

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
RedOne

JTRJH is spot on.

We have had our 29RES for 3 camping seasons now (MY 2013 bought in June 2012). We have not had any issues that required it to go back under warrantee or really any issues at all. All works as advertised. Just remember it is a X-Lite and made for weekend warrior type duty and not a full time high end camper. I even pull mine with my F150 (over 10K mile pulling the 5er) so I know you should be able to with a 2500.

We have added a few things... memory foam mattress, 16" wheels and "E" rated tires, ceiling fan, relocated water pump for easier winterizing, insulated piping where able, vent covers, sewer hose storage (square fence post mod), receiver on back for spare tire or bike rack, 5th Airborne Sidewinder Pin Box. This winter we will be putting landing gear stabilizers on, along with LED lights, fridge fans and insulate under the bedroom area with 1.5" blue Styrofoam insulation.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
JeffS

We had a 2011 26SAB for 3 years. The only thing that was a problem was the height of the 2 steps up to the Bedroom/Bath. With that said, you will find numerous posts where owners have modified the 2 steps into 3 thus reducing the step rise. We replaced our old F150 7700 when I retired with a diesel and moved up to a larger 5th wheel.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
axg1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
Hello neighbor's.. As we have not received our X-Lite 29RLI yet, we can't vouch for anything quite yet but truly believe you're not going find a better 5er in that price range. We looked for a long time and always kept coming back to the cougar. You'll be happy with that choice
Did you guys order from American Family RV? We really liked working with them. We pickup our new 28SGS tomorrow from them.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
GmaPaTime

axg1040... Yes we did. Both Mack and Layne have been good so far. Did you buy the new or used one? They had both, the new had table and chairs and the used was a booth model. We were considering the SGS, RET and the RLI which is what we ordered. We get ours next week hopefully, so maybe we can compare notes after we each get out camping We'll friend you and send a private message when we do. Would like to hear how the PDI went and what they were prepared or not prepared for prior to ours. Until then, hope all goes well and you get out camping soon.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
gearhead

We had a XLite 28SGS and pulled it with a GMC2500 extended cab 4X4 6.0 with 3.73 gears. We were Ok with the trucks payload but over by 200 pounds (16,220#) on the GCWR. The truck pulled it OK on flat highways, but getting into Tennessee & Kentucky hills it was tiring. The truck pulled it OK, it was just a lot of jockeying for lanes with 18 wheelers and trying to keep the momentum up. I traded to a Ford diesel and then up to the Montana.
I never had any trouble with the XLite. My wife laid claim to the wardrobe and I threw my stuff under the bed. I did hit my head a lot getting in and out of bed. I'm just 5'8". We boondocked at NASCAR races and never had tank capacity issues. Yes the awning is small. We also had a EZ up canopy.
There is the issue of the 2 rear chairs. I had to buy more strapping material and strap them together better to prevent them from pulling the curtains down.
I didn't have a glide hitch and never needed one.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 AM   #14
axg1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
axg1040... Yes we did. Both Mack and Layne have been good so far. Did you buy the new or used one? They had both, the new had table and chairs and the used was a booth model. We were considering the SGS, RET and the RLI which is what we ordered. We get ours next week hopefully, so maybe we can compare notes after we each get out camping We'll friend you and send a private message when we do. Would like to hear how the PDI went and what they were prepared or not prepared for prior to ours. Until then, hope all goes well and you get out camping soon.
We have been dealing with Karen and Layne. Both have been great and we visited every single dealer within an hour from VB. At first we really liked the used 14' they had. Went home to think about it for a few days and went back to make an offer. It sold the day before. They ended up giving us a deal on the 15' for not much more and it had more options. We had them add slide covers and Maxx Air Vent covers. Even told us if we wanted a bedroom TV to go buy one and a bracket and they would install it for free. We dropped off our truck for the hitch install Sat along with the TV/bracket. Pick it all up today. Can't wait. We did find a few small issues with the unit the day we put the deposit on it so I am interested to see if those items are resolved. I will let you know how delivery goes today. So far they are hands down better than any of the dealers we visited.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
Sam and Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLite28SGS View Post
Hi Sam & Chris;
Let me see if I can help!
We have had our 28SGS for 2 1/2 years and love it. It fits our style of camping just fine (two of use, no need to sleep 8).
We pull with a similar TV ('11 GMC 2500HD gas 3.73 gear). It does just fine.
Have had truck & camper on "Cat Scales" (ready to camp) and all wieghts check out fine.
*Insulation seems to be good. WE did have one insident when our 13,500BTU AC could not keep-up, 4th of July in PA - 98*f in the shade. Storage area insulation - That area is heated if you run your propane furnace (Polar Package).
*Small awning - Yes. Between the small awning & the slide next to the door the awning is just a roof over the door and a table we put out next to the steps. We use a screen "EZ-UP" most of the time.
*Kitchen Appliances in slide - No issues, however I do inspect the flex lines (electric & propane) under the slide on a regular basis.
*I also use a SuperGlide hitch. Pin box on mine is "Lippert 1621".
*Bedroom - Bed is a short Queen. I am 6'-1" and don't have any problem, but do plan a mod. for a full size queen. It will fit but will have to modify the platform.

Do a search of my posts for more comments on the XLite 28SGS.

Where are you located in Virginia? We will be out Camping 4 of the next 7 weekends (all in Virginia). Would love to have you come by and look at our rig.

Allan
Hey Allan and Sadie!
Thanks so much for your very thorough reply!
We live in the Fredericksburg area of Virginia. If you plan on being near here we would love to meet you and take a looksee. My hubby is 6'8!!! We have looked at other Cougar x-lites and the headroom is tough for him. That being said, there are always sacrifices to be made...
Again, thanks!
Chris and Sam
Sam and Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Cougar1957

Quote:
Hi fellow RVers!
Sam and Chris
Happy 28SGS owners here! Picked up our 2015 model in July and have had her out twice so far. Absolutely loving it. Only one minor issue with a loose molding in the bedroom so far. The fireplace shut off a couple times on our last trip to chilly Door County, but apparently it is designed to shut down when it gets too warm.

Yes, the bed is a "camper queen." I am 6'2" and it is just long enough for me, so no problems there. It is very comfortable too - I sleep great on it.

No issues with the kitchen slide.

The awning is quite a bit shorter than my no-slide former TT, but having the opposing slides more than make up for the length. Besides, its kind of nice to have a more compact awning after dealing with the monster I had on my last rig. Easier to clean, easier to pitch...I like it.

The XLite's are built the same as the regular Cougar's, they are just mid-heights in front, and shorter. One last thing, we opted for the High Country model - the auto-leveling system is a dream!
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar1957 View Post
The XLite's are built the same as the regular Cougar's, they are just mid-heights in front, and shorter. One last thing, we opted for the High Country model - the auto-leveling system is a dream!
If you look on the Keystone web site you will see that there differences in the construction of the Xlite and the Cougar- the floor and the amount of insulation being 2 of them.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
Cougar1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If you look on the Keystone web site you will see that there differences in the construction of the Xlite and the Cougar- the floor and the amount of insulation being 2 of them.
I would be interested to see what you are seeing in this regard. Everything I have read, including on this forum, and my dealer say otherwise.

Looked at the Keystone site as you suggest, but I couldn't find anything citing build quality differences. Maybe I just missed it. Thanks.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #19
GmaPaTime

Cougar 1957....Look for the Cougar brochure download on the website In that you will see a diagram for each model identifying all the build specifications.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar1957 View Post
I would be interested to see what you are seeing in this regard. Everything I have read, including on this forum, and my dealer say otherwise.

Looked at the Keystone site as you suggest, but I couldn't find anything citing build quality differences. Maybe I just missed it. Thanks.
You may have missed the specs in the brochure for each. It appears that the Cougar has a higher R rating in their insulation used throughout the RV than the Cougar X-Lite. So, yes, there is a difference between the two as Tom pointed out in his post.