Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
bNd

Roof Panel not attached

We have a 2010 Cougar Hi Country, 291 RLS. I just noticed the plywood roof decking loose under the roof's rubber membrane. It's located in the back of the 5th wheel, and 5 feet or so in front of the air conditioner. The panel springs up and down with any weight at all. It sounds very much like the "diving board" issue posted here, that resulted from fastners coming loose or not properly attached to the framing. Can anyone advise how to fix this? I could screw it back down if I was sure to find the framing and then reseal the roof, but I do not want to cause a larger problem. Any ideas??
Thanks!

bNd
bNd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
therink

If this were me and I was repairing myself:
1) remove the edging gutter on one side, peel back the membrane at the edge of the loose roof decking you are referencing, to locate the exact joist location.
2) once I know exactly where the joint runs side to side, I would then (as much as I hate to) carefully cut a 3 inch by 3 inch square opening (3 sided flap cut) at all locations where the decking needs to be re-anchored to the joist.
3) install the anchors to secure the decking
4) repair the seams on the three sided membrane flaps with Eternabond.
5) re-install gutter and recaulk

I may be wrong in this approach but I am thinking this is easierand less invasive than pulling up the entire membrane
This would likely void the roof membrane warranty, but the warranty likely isn't worth a hill of beans anyway.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Quiroule

Angry

bNd, I have the exact same problem, at the same place, on the same 2010 Cougar HC 291 RLS. The panel is sagging below the level of the adjacent panel for about 1/3 the width of the trailer.

As it is sagging below the level of the adjacent panel, the joist is not under the panel for the entire width. It must not have been installed at 90 degrees to the wall. (Considering the quality of Keystone’s work, I am not surprise)

When my brother gets back, we will:
1- Remove the air conditioner.
2- Remove the edging gutter on the back and both side of the trailer.
3- Peel back the membrane up to the problem.
4- Then we will see what need to be done; probably have to remove a panel to fix that.

Of course, we will have to re-install everything after that and re-seal.

Lots of fun….

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote