Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
rratranch

3280rl water freeze

I have a 2002 montana 3280RL that seems to have a problem with water line freeze. I have cold water at the shower, toilet and bath sink. No hot water and no water at kitchen island at all. This has happened to me 3 different times over the years. In Montana in 2003, Utah 2007 amd now in Washington. Is there a fix. I have been living in the RV at all 3 times so the heat has been on and I have been using the fresh water tank knowing the water line coming to the trailer would be frozen.

thanks for your help
Bob
rratranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
GreginOklahoma

I have the same exact camper and the same problem... I even put a couple of electric heaters in the belly of the camper to help with temperature control...
GreginOklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Javi

You could use the foam pipe insulation on the pex, it should help with the problem. I wrapped mine where it was exposed to the un-insulated wall areas like the fill and city water to pump, and under the sink and shower wall. It just slides over the pex and you can tape it in place with either duct tape or electrician tape.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
outwest

If at a full hookup site, what I do to prevent is open all cabinets where water lines are and leave the water running (both hot and cold) at a trickle. I also sometimes put the heat tape on the hose as extra measure.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
WaltBennett

I've read several posts on the Montana Owner's Club about people opening up the underbelly and finding water lines laying against the frame and uninsulated. There's also the issue of next to no insulation other than the bubble wrap kind of stuff. We've only owned ours since last April, so I haven't gotten around to checking anything but the first belly section, but will be doing the rest soon.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
RobG

I'm having a similar problem with my Raptor. This trailer is such a POS! I've had it in much colder weather than this, but now I have no water at all. It seems the feed line to the water pump is frozen. The hose is collapsed. I have a hair dryer blowing down into the hole to try to thaw things out, but who knows if it'll get all of it.

I actually had hookup water running fine earlier, but it's due to hit 3 deg. F tonight so I know that hose won't hold up even at a trickle; it'll have to be left on all night or it'll freeze.

I like the idea of opening up the underside and looking for exposed lines to insulate. I'll have to do that soon.

Rob
Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Archergodwin

You guys are going to hate what you find... PEX lines running under the floor, next to frame rails, completely uninsulated. There is zero insulation to help with anything in the 'belly-pan' area.

I opened my belly pan last Thursday and applied heat-tape and rubberized pipe insulation over the lines... but I've probably missed a spot.. because I'm froze up again as well.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
mikell

I have an oil filled heater in the basement with one of the wall panels to the crawl space removed. Going into the 4th winter and still no problems. Also did a lot of prep work plugging holes and re arrangeing things to get the place warm
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
mazboy123

you can use the city water, just keep a small flow going through a faucet throughout the night. i'd do the kitchen.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote