Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
J&KB

New to 5th wheeling

We have bought a 2014 Montana and have never taken one out before, we will be picking it up next weekend, any tips.
J&KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
grampscamper

Congratulations. Take your time. Don't be in a hurry. Take corners nice and wide. Watch for overhead obstacles like tree branches, wires, canopies etc. Always check your mirrors. Look before you go somewhere you may not be able to turn around. Practice backing up in an open area like a vacant parking lot.
Enjoy. You'll love it.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
rclark

Welcome aboard. I have found that I have to check and double check that I done all the steps to getting hooked up and ready to go. I have a established a routine and go step by step. Good luck~

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Cnc_hemi

Welcome. Make you a check list: tires, antenna, cargo is secure, truck tires are good, all lights are good, ect. Always try to plan your route it will help a lot google maps works great. And always double check your hitch. Make sure it's locked before you move. A check list for picking up and leaving after your journey is a good idea as well. Enjoy your new rig.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
eds451

Hopefully the dealer will go over EVERY switch, hose, hookup, in other words, EVERYTHING when you pick up your fifth wheel. Mine did and it sorta helped.
A hookup check list is a must as is a set up list when you park for camping.
Wide turns are a must as a fifth wheel tracks INSIDE your tow vehicle when you turn. Just watch other fifth wheel making turns.
Low branches are one of the worse enemies of your roof. I have patched mine twice and replaced a vent cover.
ALWAYS do a tug test before completely retracting your landing gear when you getting ready to pull out. Can't tell you how many guys I have known or read who forgot to verify the pin box is secured to the hitch and dropped the trailer onto the truck bed causing $$$$ damage.
Lastly, when in doubt, ask here. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
KanTC

Welcome J&KB, and congrats on your new Montana.

Don't forget to take a PDI checklist when you go... and, if you don't already have one, you can print this one:
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Htfiremedic

Congrats and welcome to 5er land! Watch for tree limbs, even in your yard.....not that I learned the hard way or anything......

Steve Hudson
Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
jsmith948

All good advice - allow me to add to a previous post. You always want to do a 'tug test' to verify that the fifth wheel jaws are latched, BUT, you should ALWAYS verify that the pin is correctly seated in the jaws by looking at it.
If the trailer was too high during hook-up, the jaws may seem to be locked but the pin will ride up and slip out of the jaws. One way to avoid this is to position the trailer so that the fifth wheel actually raises the trailer slightly as you back under. Always LOOK at the pin and the jaws. Take your time - the day you don't check.........

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
sdetweil

I am newbie too.. everything went great til 1/4 mile from home and I hit low trees in our sub. 1300 miles and then that!.. I didn't check it cause it seemed such a light touch. rained like hel. the next day. trees punctured the rubber on the roof in 7 places. patched, but rained the next weekend and got water in the coach again.. (dealer and ins rep thought the patches were done very well. they couldn't tell me where the water got in the second weekend)

insurance replaced the roof.. 3 days old..

wide turns. we got off the highway in OK City, this exit had two left turn lanes onto the cross street. we got trapped in the left most of the left turn lanes by rush hour traffic trying to pass us on the right at the light. they let traffic accumulate on the overpass to get back onto the highway where we needed to turn. My DW was driving. I had to get out and ask the stopped traffic to back up so we could finish the turn. Dually + 40ft FW makes for fun!..

The PDI was really helpful. Could have used my phone to record a couple video segments. (both water heater related).

congrats and enjoy.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
K&C L

Welcome to 5th wheeling. Before you drive off the lot with the RV go over it inside and out with a fine toothed comb. A scratch or defect that goes unnoticed and undocumented at that stage can come back to bite you when it comes to getting repair work done under warrantee. If it's not written down it's unlikely to be repaired free of charge later on.

There is a lot to check and so as suggested a check list is a must and they grow (or should) as you add additional equipment.

After years of driving, we are all accustomed to looking both ways before proceeding in a vehicle. That's not enough when pulling your 5th because now you must also look both up and down constantly. Up for roof destroying obstructions and down for deep holes dips and it takes some time to form the new habit.

The tug test without your front landing gear being fully retracted is also a sound idea. It may take a few minutes more to finish hitching up but that check can potentially save you many thousands of dollars.

Be very careful to retract your TV antennae before moving the 5th. It too should be on your check list but unless you stand well back from the trailer it's hard to see if it is up or down. A simple walk around might not point out an extended antenna just waiting to snag an overhead power line.

Beyond all else accept that things will unlikely go perfectly the first time and that the goal is to build your confidence while making safe progress so don't be too hard on yourself or others and treat the whole thing as a learning experience.

PS Barking at spouses and companions is never a good idea because as you will see you will come to appreciate competent an willing help!

2003 F350, Laredo LE, 7.3 psd, dually and 4x4

2012 Keystone Montana HC 343RL

"Beauty and the Bess"
K&C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
All good advice - allow me to add to a previous post. You always want to do a 'tug test' to verify that the fifth wheel jaws are latched, BUT, you should ALWAYS verify that the pin is correctly seated in the jaws by looking at it.
If the trailer was too high during hook-up, the jaws may seem to be locked but the pin will ride up and slip out of the jaws. One way to avoid this is to position the trailer so that the fifth wheel actually raises the trailer slightly as you back under. Always LOOK at the pin and the jaws. Take your time - the day you don't check.........
THIS!!! Very important!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

HEY CONGRATS AND You have gotten great advice!. I remember moving up to a 5er from a TT. I could thread a needle with the TT when i got the 5er well ... I felt like a clutz. look for the pdi check list it is a sticky here on the forum. print it and take with you. DO NOT LET the dealer do a "run through and sign here" pdi go slow and ask till you really understand all the systems. Have plan for towing home. remember most highways have the clearance you need if an 18 wheeler fits so should you. but take it easy you are in no rush. stay in the right lane 60 tops.the tires are rated to 65. then find a big lot you and the copilot should pratice turns and backing up use cell phones or hand signals. work out a system. do not get mad at each other.also try to teach your partner to drive it and hook up. my wife can hook up disconect and set up with out me backing it up is just not going to happen with her at the wheel we also set up a check list and made a booklet in sections ! hook up. 2 before driving of ie lights every thing inside set. 3 disconect ans set up! 4 pack up prior to departure. we did this in the order we felt comfortable with so we were not tripping over each other and walking back and forth. then we share the driving but somehow she allway seems to let me take over just before the traffic jamb haven't figured out how she knows Enjoy the new unit you will love the montna!! all the best
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Koladog

In the province of BC you have to get retested (written and road) to upgrade your license if you tow something more than 10,000 lbs. One of the good things that came out of this is that we had to hire a professional, licensed trainer to not only teach us but also take the truck and trailer to the testing facility. I'm not saying you should hire someone but you should find a friend who is experienced in towing a fifth wheel and just drive around until you get comfortable behind the wheel. During this time you can also practice backing up into parking spots in a large parking lot. Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck and happy camping.
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
azlee56

well with us the walk through was rushed and this is what we didn't catch. The flush system on the RV, that there was a separate grey water tank for the sink.

BTW, do make a check list for your camping experience like they suggested, but after a few times don't decide not to use it (like my BF). Now I do the list and go behind him to make sure. (rolling eyes). LOL
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
airforceret

I didn't see it here, but may have missed it. Once connected, i have the ability to lock the hitch so that someone doesn't be funny and pull the handle while I'm stopped somewhere and then drive out from beneath it with the landing gear up!

Complacency will get you as well. I pulled mine around all week on vacation and the last stop sign at the house almost got me when i didn't swing out enough and it jumped the curb and flirted with sign disaster!!!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
rclark

I have never seen any comments on the forum regarding what I am about to say, but it was a problem for me. I have two 5th wheels. 2004 Everest and 2013 Alpine and have hooked up a lot of times and never had much of a problem.

The last time I went to hook up I could not get the King Pin lock to close and lock even thought it appeared to be locked by just looking at the handle and I had put the pin in, but I did take the final step and using my trusty flashlight looked to make sure it was locked over the king pin. I could not see the lock so I proceeded to try and hook up several additional time with not success. I always set the trailer a little lower than the 5th wheel in the truck to make sure the pin is in correct.

I finally pulled the truck up enough so I could get a good look at the KP box and lo and behold the round nylon piece that goes between the box and 5th W hook up was bent double on the leading edge which prevent the pin from going low enough in the 5th w for the lock to lock up.

I no longer use the nylon piece at this point and I think I probably messed it up by having the trailer too low when I was trying to hook up?? However the trailer was at the dealership and maybe they messed it up and I never looked at.

2004 Everest 364Q
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
I have never seen any comments on the forum regarding what I am about to say, but it was a problem for me. I have two 5th wheels. 2004 Everest and 2013 Alpine and have hooked up a lot of times and never had much of a problem.

The last time I went to hook up I could not get the King Pin lock to close and lock even thought it appeared to be locked by just looking at the handle and I had put the pin in, but I did take the final step and using my trusty flashlight looked to make sure it was locked over the king pin. I could not see the lock so I proceeded to try and hook up several additional time with not success. I always set the trailer a little lower than the 5th wheel in the truck to make sure the pin is in correct.

I finally pulled the truck up enough so I could get a good look at the KP box and lo and behold the round nylon piece that goes between the box and 5th W hook up was bent double on the leading edge which prevent the pin from going low enough in the 5th w for the lock to lock up.

I no longer use the nylon piece at this point and I think I probably messed it up by having the trailer too low when I was trying to hook up?? However the trailer was at the dealership and maybe they messed it up and I never looked at.
is that the nylon lube ring? reduces wear on both hitch and FW. supposed to use grease otherwise..
Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
rclark

Yes I am referring to the "wear plate" not sure what the actual name is.

2004 Everest 364Q
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Yes I am referring to the "wear plate" not sure what the actual name is.
called a lube plate.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Visual Checks Made Easier

For those of you who have jaws on your hitch (sliding bar folks too), try painting the jaws white or some other brilliant, visible colour - yellow or ???
Since I've painted my jaws white, I no longer need a flashlight to see if they are correctly in place.

Just clean all the grease and gunk off the jaws, and put a couple of coats of exterior paints on the jaws -- it's as simple as that! Easy to see in the dim light.