Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Chip999

Accessing water pump on 2013 Xlites

Hello all,

Was looking yesterday afternoon at what it's going to take to winterize, and found a snag. I know the water pump for my 29RET is located under the stove, above the electric box mounted on the wall in there, but when we walked through, the panel under the sink was movable and we could see the pump, whereas now I can't seem to move that panel.

My question is: How would you access the water pump in there in the easiest manner?

I'm actually considering paying the dealer to winterize the system but want to be there to learn how to do it- but not sure that's $75 I really want to spend if there's a way to access that water pump that won't tear up the panel/walls...let alone what would happen if that pump quit when we were out camping....
Chip999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You need to know how to access the pump to check for leaks, and as you say, in the event it stops working while you're camping. Paying the dealership $75 to put $9 of antifreeze in the system is not much more than "donating to their Christmas party fund"...

Go to the dealership, get a Flojet plug-in 90* elbow, about 4 or 5 feet of appropriately sized clear plastic tubing, 3 gallons of RV antifreeze and do it yourself.

Accessing the water pump is different in every model. In ours, there's a panel in the bottom of the pantry that is held in place with 2 screws. Remove them and it's "right there" On yours, you may have to remove a drawer, a panel or even that divider wall under the cupboard. Once access is made to the pump, it's simply a matter of pulling a blue lever, installing the plug-in elbow and turning on the pump.

Of course you need to do the other "winterizing" things as well, but they are covered elsewhere in the forum. Accessing the water pump should be easy and straight forward. Call your dealership or next time you're in there, ask them how.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Chip999

Thanks- I've actually been doing my own winterizing on a 19 foot TT for 10 years, this is the first time with the Xlite. The TT had a winterizing kit installed, all it took was flipping a few valves and antifreeze was pumping in the system, and I actually have Shurflo pump inlet hardware and about 4' of hose, all I need is to figure out how to access the water pump.

I will call the dealer and ask how to easiest access the pump. When we did a walk-through the panel separating the undersink and the stove/h2o pump/backside of electrical panel was not totally in place; they put it back when we were signing paperwork and I didn't see any screws holding it in place yesterday on a quick look. I'll look again in more detail when I get a chance, but was hoping someone with a 13 may already know the trick to get access.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You say you've got the fittings for a SHURFLOW pump... Cougar uses FLOJET pumps. The two do not have the same type fittings. You may want to check to make sure you can connect to the input side of your water pump before you tear things apart. I got caught in that "goatrope" with our Springdale and it took a week to get the right fitting. Our RV was in a "partly disassembled" state until the fitting came in and I could finish.

Check to see that you do have the correct part. I'm betting at this point that you do not have the right fitting on hand.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Chip999

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely verify before disassembling.

Crazy that an expensive fifth wheel like this isn't set up with an easily and clearly accessible pump and installed winterizing kit. Cost cutting and extra charges for us!

Edit: Had time so went by the dealer. Bought their pre-made winterizing kit and had a chat with the tech about accessing the water pump, I just wasn't looking in the right place for a few screws.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Chip999

Just in case there may be someone interested, I thought I'd update this. The water pump on 2013 Xlites (at least a 29RET) is accessed by removing the power inverter. to get in the compartment under the stove/oven. The wall under the sink is screwed in on the backside; the only way to get in from there would be to cut into the panel. The pump is located on the floor behind the inverter, at the back wall. Directly behind the inverter on the floor is the access for the water inlets, both tank and city inlets.

I ended up needing the shurflo adapters to install the winterizing kit. I simply cut into the tank water inlet line where it comes up from the floor, put the shurflo adapters on each open end, and they screwed on the camco winterizing valve easy as pie. I would not have been able to do this with the current setup, as I did not have correct adapters to pull it off (and it would have been pretty much impossible to use the camco hose included, as it was short and the pump is so far back in the space.)

No donation to the dealer Xmas fund for this camper!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Chip999 -

If, as you just described above, it is that difficult to gain access to the water pump, remind me never to buy a 2013 29RET X-Lite TT! Who would think that you would have to remove the power converter to get to the pump?

It also looks like the converter is closely surrounded not only by the water pump but also water inlets. I would be nervous about having an electrical converter in close proximity to that many possible sources of water leaks - the pump and the FW connections. All you need is a poor, loose or broken connection at any one of those places and you have water leaking out very near your converter!

I'd be tempted to install some sort of barrier around the converter to protect it in case of water leaks.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Chip999

It's really not a difficult process, just a PIA. And yes, I agree with you on the electricity in proximity to water concern, but the heat generated by the powerbox makes me pause when thinking about adding some kind of a barrier- want to make sure the box still gets to "breathe". Luckily someone thought ahead and there is plenty of extra wire on the back of the powerbox so it can be moved out of your way while working behind it.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

In my 2010 the pile driver, err water pump, is located inside one of the end tables at the far rear left corner of the 5er. There's a 9x10" removable access panel, but the pump is mounted on the floor 18 inches beyond that---so really, unless you're a rodent, it is totally inaccessible. The end table was obviously built around the pump.

Fortunately I never need to winterize, and the pump is still working.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Jim Dow

Where is my water pump?

I have a 2011 Montana High Country; and I can't locate the water pump - even after listening and listening.

I'm just afraid it's behind something serious.

Does anyone know where my water pump is?
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Chip999,

I was at the dealership this afternoon and stopped in a 29RET just to look at what you are talking about. On the one I checked, if you open the cabinet door under the sink, there's a "false wall" closing off the space behind the stove (as you indicated) but in this one, there's a panel about 18" x 24" that is held in place with 2 screws that covers the bottom half of that panel. On this one, simply remove 2 screws and crawl inside the cupboard and you've got access to the water pump.

I'm not sure why yours doesn't have that panel, maybe it's a "new thing" as this one is a recently received 2014 model.

Anyway, there's always an option of installing a panel on yours to prevent having to disassemble the converter to gain access to the pump.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
Chip999

John,

I wish mine had that access panel; I have a solid wall on that side of the undersink cabinet. That would have made things a breeze. (Actually, that's where I'm probably going to create my own access panel....a saw, some hinges and either velcro or one or two latches and I'll be good to go.

I have to say, even though I said it was a PIA to get at this water pump, when the 8 year old pump gave up in my old TT, I had to remove the bed deck to get at that one. THAT was a PIA!