Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Jim Dow

Coax Cable Routing Montana High Country

How can I find out where the coax cables (cable/sat/antenna) are routed in a Keystone High Country?
Are there any splitters; and if so, where are they located?
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Comptech

Good luck, I think your going to have to pull panels and stuff apart to see or get an idea of how they are run...
I think they run most of them behind the panel walls and flooring...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
SlowPoke

Search the forums, there are lots of posts about others looking for the same.

I've found through time here, there are NO PLANS, no specs, no blueprints for any model, and if you get an answer from someone about their TT, yours may or may not have cables located in the same areas. Splitters have been located in numerous places, behind the Antenna Amp, behind a panel under a cabinet, as well as in basement compartments.

Good luck, and let us know what you locate and where!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
therink

In both of the late model Keystone products I have owned, the main splitters were located loose in the wall and/or ceiling cavity directly behind the OTA antenna booster plate.Remove the two screws, pull booster from wall and there should be a nest of coax and splitters(s) loose in the cavity. I needed to access mine to modify for satellite receivers.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
smiller

I can tell you how the coax is wired in my unit (a Cougar, but perhaps the same as a Montana.) The outside cable connection routes to a plate near the TV with two connectors that are normally connected together by a short jumper. One connector goes to the outside cable connection and the other to the antenna/cable switch (more on that later) so the plate essentially provides a way to put something in-line in the cable TV input if necessary, say a decoder box or somesuch. In most cases you just leave the jumper in place. The antenna/cable switch switches between the cable TV input (just described) and the antenna. Whichever (antenna or cable) is selected goes to a splitter and then to the other TV outlets in the unit.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I can tell you how the coax is wired in my unit (a Cougar, but perhaps the same as a Montana.) The outside cable connection routes to a plate near the TV with two connectors that are normally connected together by a short jumper. One connector goes to the outside cable connection and the other to the antenna/cable switch (more on that later) so the plate essentially provides a way to put something in-line in the cable TV input if necessary, say a decoder box or somesuch. In most cases you just leave the jumper in place. The antenna/cable switch switches between the cable TV input (just described) and the antenna. Whichever (antenna or cable) is selected goes to a splitter and then to the other TV outlets in the unit.
I have a Montana High Country and you confirmed what I was thinking. I think mine is set up the same way. Good info smiller.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
smiller

Another thing you can do with the Keystone setup is if you have a TiVo or other device that can utilize both cable and antenna inputs simultaneously is remove the jumper and connect the park cable signal (usually the bottom connector on the plate) directly to the TiVo (or whatever) cable input and the antenna output to the TiVo antenna input. No re-wiring required. We usually do this so we can get HD programming from the local off-the-air channels.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Another thing you can do with the Keystone setup is if you have a TiVo or other device that can utilize both cable and antenna inputs simultaneously is remove the jumper and connect the park cable signal (usually the bottom connector on the plate) directly to the TiVo (or whatever) cable input and the antenna output to the TiVo antenna input. No re-wiring required. We usually do this so we can get HD programming from the local off-the-air channels.
More good info. Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Jim Dow

Cable/Sat Coax Mods: Montana High Country 2011

Well, I strapped on the mods for my cable/sat coax this weekend. I used the "TV4RV.com: Rewiring your Coach for Satellite use" post; and it worked. It took me about 6 hours of careful work - I'm not that experienced in such work.

First, the Cable/Sat connector (coax) located in the utilities (cable/sat, water, drains, etc.) cabinet on the rear (driver's side) of the TT connects to one of a pair of coax cables that terminate on a wall terminal in an open compartment just below the main TV in the living room (right by the Jensen entertainment center).

I plan on using this first coax as the input to my (TailGater) satellite receiver. The HDMI output from the satellite receiver is connected to the main television (using one HDMI connector on the wallplate). The second coax terminates at the antenna amp (wallplate) in the bedroom; so I connected the "output to TV" (coax) on the satellite receiver to the second coax terminal on the wallplate.

The second HDMI connector shown on the wallplate is used to connect a Bluray DVD player to the main TV in the living room.

The coax terminal ends were located using a Klein coax tracer - second picture.

The coax cables were traced from the antenna amp wallplate in the bedroom - third picture (undisturbed coax) - washer/dryer closet.

I then applied the mods as specified in the post "Rewiring your Coach for Satellite Use" with some additional enhancements. First, I replaced the splitter with a newer "satellite" signal splitter to take the signal to a) the coax running from the antenna amp unit to the coax terminating behind the main TV in the living room - e.g., keep the antenna input for that TV and b) the coax termination in the storage bay.

Second, I moved the "Input from Outside (Cable/Sat)" coax to the "right-side" new coax terminal and connected the "left-side" new coax terminal to the original position of the "Input from Outside" coax - per the post "Rewiring your Coach for Satellite use". This allowed me to feed the bedroom TV with the output from the satellite receiver in the livingroom - no additional satellite receiver. However, the bedroom TV plays the channel currently playing on the TV in the livingroom. (see fourth pic - Broken Down Coax)

Third, I split (satellite splitter) the signal going to the bedroom TV and fed it back into the "left-side" new coax terminal in order to get this signal (potentially) back to the TV located in the storage area - I did not test this out yet. (fifth pic) Note that the "right-side" is my top terminal; and the "left-side" is my bottom terminal.

If, in fact, the antenna amp prohibits satellite signals from my receiver from getting to the storage area, them all I have to do is split the signal from the "left-side/bottom" coax terminator and connect the cable running to the storage area.

It does work - to the point of receiving satellite TV in the bedroom.

Also, I connected a gang of four (4) 12volt connectors from the 12volt outlet associated with the antenna amp to a) power the bedroom TV, b) power a Fantastic Fan, c) a small inverter to charge cell phones, and d) to power a hair dryer, not necessarily all at the same time.

Having achieved this mod, I am confident that if I want to add a satellite receiver in the bedroom or just go with a dual satellite receiver in the living room, I will be able to accomplish this also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CableSat Coax.jpg
Views:	1516
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Klein Coax Tracer.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	2850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Coax Config.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Down Coax.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Coax Rewire.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2853  

Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
n4qpcham

Montana High Country Cable to Satellite Upgrade

Jim,

I have a 2014 MHC and it appears to be essentially wired the same. I take it you are not using the TV1 jack on the plate under the 12V port that originally fed the bedroom TV? With your new setup, the signal from the "out to TV" connection on the sat receiver connected to the second connector on the plate under the TV, which is sending the signal back to the bedroom to the "right side" connector, should be carrying only a video signal, not a video signal with power to control the sat dish. The way I see it, feeding the signal from the splitter(pic #5) back to the "left side" connector should put it back into the plate amp and send it out the TV2 connector which goes through your other new sat grade splitter(pic #3) to the basement connection and back to the main TV. You should have satellite TV at all TVs, but all on the same channel.

Jerry

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
n4qpcham

Montana Cable/Satellite Wiring Diagram from Keystone

I have a drawing Keystone sent me on the cable/satellite setup on a Montana, but not the Montana HC. It exceeds the 19.5kb size for an uploaded pdf file to the forum. Send me a PM and I will email the pdf file to you.

Jerry

Original post edited to remove the personal email per forum policy JRTJH

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote