Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
Irish Mist

Furnace noise

Just wondering. I find the furnace quite loud from the fan noise. Is this typical? Eventually I will take it apart and see if maybe it needs a bearing or a good cleaning. Not having ever owned an RV before I am not sure if it is typical or not
Thank you
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #2
slow

Re: Furnace noise

They are loud (and annoying). That is why most of us will use an electric heater when hooked up to power.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:05 AM   #3
Dave W

Some sound like a jet plane taking off. The current one isn't too bad, buried in the 5ers basement area but all of the earlier 5er and TT furnaces were right up there in dBa numbers. We carry 2 small 20 buck electric heaters from Tractor Supply plus have a 'fireplace' in the 5er that kinda-almost takes a bit of the chill off on frisky mornings. Just be careful of the total amp draw of your trailer, especially if it has a 30 amp service, if you opt for electric heaters. You can't run two 800-1500 watt heaters along with the HW heater for instance. And no hair dryer with space heaters either with 30 amp service.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
Irish Mist

Thanks
I pretty good in the power draw as coming from living on a boat I have been down that road.. Just a word of caution.. Sometimes even though you are not tripping a breaker you may be over heating the plug and causing some melting.. My furnace is right behind a big cold air return under the fridge so that doesn't help either.. Good to know that it's not just me. No fireplace.. Yet but I do use an electric to help out .
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #5
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Mist View Post
Thanks
I pretty good in the power draw as coming from living on a boat I have been down that road.. Just a word of caution.. Sometimes even though you are not tripping a breaker you may be over heating the plug and causing some melting.. My furnace is right behind a big cold air return under the fridge so that doesn't help either.. Good to know that it's not just me. No fireplace.. Yet but I do use an electric to help out .
We looked long and hard at several 327RES units but I don't recall where the furnace was in '13 - '15 versions which is somewhat different then the '11 we initially tried to buy.

Just for those who occasionally trip a breaker, a usual 1500 watt heater draws 12+ amps. The total load on a single circuit in an RV is often anyone's guesstimate, but a single heater will 'eat' up most of one line's capacity, for no better term. 14 AWG wire, which most of our RVs are using is rated 15 amp capacity up to 50 feet in length, less if longer.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
........................... Just for those who occasionally trip a breaker, a usual 1500 watt heater draws 12+ amps. The total load on a single circuit in an RV is often anyone's guesstimate, but a single heater will 'eat' up most of one line's capacity, for no better term. 14 AWG wire, which most of our RVs are using is rated 15 amp capacity up to 50 feet in length, less if longer.
I avoid the breaker tripping issue having added a separate circuit and 15 amp connector to my TT that we use to connect our electric heater "directly" to the 15 amp receptacle in the shore power pedestal. This way our electric heater is on its own circuit and independent of the TT's distribution panel and circuits. But I always test the pedestal receptacle before plugging in.

The weather proof connector is tucked behind the outside shower hose/faucet cover. Here are a few pictures: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=699
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

The heater fan noise is largely dependent on trailer layout and blower placement. Ours is fairly loud, as are all we've ever experienced, but on this unit, our heater is just down the side of our trailer and you can hear the burner kick in and out as much as you hear the blower. .....Just normal RV stuff.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote