Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Jim_VaBeach

Converter location needed

I have a 2011 Alpine 3555RL and it appears the converter is not working. I have looked thru all the manuals supplied by the Manufacturer and they left the one about the converter info and location out. I took off the fuse panel cover but I do not see it in there. If you can give me its location, I would appreciate it.
Jim_VaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you cannot see it from the front of the fuse panel look in the outside storage compartment closest to the back of it for a removable panel to access it. First check the circuit breaker that is most likely marked "CON/RECPT' or similar to see if it has tripped. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:57 AM   #3
rbev2308

If you remove the access panel in the storage compartment on the side facing the hot water heater, you will see it mounted to the floor. Mine is just past the vacuum canister installed in mine. You can either get the info off of the converter itself to order or probably order one comparable to it. I do know www.trekwood.com has this listed as I recently helped some friends order one for their 2010 Alpine. Are you 100% for sure the converter itself is bad?
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 AM   #4
Jim_VaBeach

The unit was put on site on Thursday by the campground truck. when I went down later to hook it up, the battery clicked a few times and that was it. I plugged in the 50 amp service and turned the power on. Nothing happened. I could not put the slides out. I removed the two Interstate batteries and went and bought a new battery. All worked well then and I hooked everything up so it would be ready for Friday. On Friday, yesterday, The lights got real dim and it was obvious the battery was draining and nothing was charging it. I put a battery charger on it with an extension cord to to electric box. Prior to that, the battery only had about 8 volts in it. The charger immediately brought it up to alittle over 12 volts and the lights inside,( one of them tested). It is now morning and all was well. I presume when I disconnect the charger, the battery will continue to discharge. I presume it is the converter because I thought the battery charger was part of that unit. Thoughts? Also, my dirt devil vacuum system is on the entry side looking aft from the baggage compartment. The hot water heater is on the opposite side where all the services connect. The compartment has alot of stuff in it as this is our first outing this year. which side do I pull the cellar access cover? I also looked at all my breakers and fuses and did not see anything that jumped out at me. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
rbev2308

I would say whichever side of center the fuse panel is located on is the side the converter would be on. It is usually in very close proximity to the opposite side of the fuse panel but my guess is they simply lay it down and screw in so a few inches here or there could be expected. My Alpine has the fuse panel just inside the door on right side and the converter sits behind my hot water heater and I can also see it from my bathroom furnace vent only because the flex duct came apart and I had to fix. Removing one or both panels in the aft part of the storage should gain access to see as it is the only metal box down there. You can type converters in the search tab and there are some instructions on how to electrically test different converters on here or at least accessing will get you mfr data to search and test before you pop a couple of hundred bucks down. It does sound like it though. Since we are both local to this large Navy area in Hampton Roads, Williams RV Service in Chesapeake is a good source of someone I would call if you had any questions. They are not difficult to change out. Hardest part is crawling thru the myriad of plumbing/wiring and trying not to crush anything to access. Good Luck!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
Jim_VaBeach

Thanks for the input. I did read that there could be blown fuses on the converter which I presume are integral with the converter. I did hook up the wires on the battery backwards, like a dummy, then realized my mistake and changed them around. I bet I blew the fuses! Are they in the converter?
Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
MikeD3534

The location in my 2011 Alpine 3640RL is accessed behind the air return grills in the steps. There are two 40amp plug in reverse connect fuses that can be reached from this location.
MikeD3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #8
jsmith948

On our 5er, there are two 40A fuses near the top of our power distribution panel (our converter is mounted on the back of the power panel). I have read on here that, on some models, these fuses are mounted directly on the converter. If you connected the battery backwards, you have blown these fuses.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
Jim_VaBeach

Problem solved and many thanks for all the positive input. We removed the cellar door on the entry side of the camper. My Wife crawled in and looked over the furnace and saw the 75 amp converter on the back side of the power panel which had two 40 amp fuses that were melted. A quick trip to Advance Auto to purchase replacements and we are back in business!!! One more important saga ends and good knowledge learned! Thanks all!!!