Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
C1v1leng

Hot water heater 333MKS

How are other owners doing with the new "high efficiency" hot water heaters. The DW and I need to run the gas and electric in order to have enough for a quick shower. There was a real lack of hot water when traveling through TX when the weather was cold and the incoming water was cold too. Then there was only enough hot water for a military shower. I checked the bypass valves to make sure they were closed and my outside shower is closed too.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
b.d.keathley

I have had the MKS in two "cold climates" one with full hookups and one without. Both times we had perfect "hot water" with no issues. I cant imagine

why yours is not working.
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

How is HW heater managing with your hot water in the kitchen and bathroom? Do you get sufficient HW at those two faucets or is just the shower that is "acting up". The cool/cold weather should not affect the hot water temperature of the water coming out of the tank. If it is cold outside, the heater will have to come on more to keep the temperature up but it should be "hot".

The "colder" water you felt at the CW faucet may have been due to the long run through a water line that ran through the colder basement area. Were you hooked up to city water or were you using the FW tank? In either case, if the weather had been cold for any length of time, the FW tank or the city water lines would have been colder than usual.

How is the flow at the shower head? Sometimes during construction, some sawdust or debris gets into the line and partially or completely clogs the shower head resulting in poor/sluggish flow.

Is your HW tank 6 or 10 gallons?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
Javi

Festus2... on the 333MKS the water is 6 gallons and is almost directly under the shower so no long runs.

I expect the OP just isn't used to RV bathing yet. Navy showers are the way of life in RV's.. When the DW wants a long shower she heads to the bathhouse or we head home to the sticks & bricks.. 6 gallons don't go far..

P.S. like most we turn on the propane side of the water heater is we're going to be bathing quickly one after the other, then turn it off when we're through.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

An option to extend the Navy Showers for a few more minutes is the Oxygenics shower head. While it's definitely not a "home shower" it does have a "heavy mist under pressure" type of spray that will nearly double the hot water time. We still use the Navy method when dry camping, but can get upwards of 8 or10 minutes when in a campground with full hookups.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...d-nickel/68323

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
C1v1leng

Short showers

Thanks,
We will pick up a new shower head. Using the gas and electric does extend the performance but I thought the heater should do a better job.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote