Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
woodrow38

New 5th Wheel member, Aug 2010

My wife and I became RV owners again after owing several types of RV's in the last 25 years. In August 2010 we purchased a 2010 Alpine by Keystone 3640RL. We like the floor plan as the kitchen has lot of cabinets to store can goods and food, king bed has walk around each side, kitchen has center counter with cabinet.
We will be using it most of the time and is on a RV hookup at our daughters property in NE Nevada. If the winters get to much for us we will probably travel to southern Nevada during the winter at a RV park.
Unit has been taken to a Keystone dealer for warranty work in Oct 10. Warranty work was completed, but they were not able to correct the lack of sufficient heat through the two living room floor vents as the hallway and bedroom there is lot of heat through those floor vents. I get many different answers to this problem. Living room area the temp is anywhere from 7 to 5 degrees difference, but not over 7 degrees. Apparently, if the heat difference is not over 7 degrees then there is no problem according to the mfg, but I still think there is a problem, such as duct not being connected to the furnace or there is a cut off area. Dealer doing the warranty mentioned they checked out the heat ducting and is Okay per their camera.
We have noticed needed items to install that would make living lot more convenient. Also, dealer doing the warranty work had to secure the front portion of the under belly as it was bowing toward the ground and was a hazard on the highway. Front area of the belly was resecured and then 3 steel bars were installed across the belly for better security from working loose from the units frame.
There has been wrong labeling of control valves for winterizing and plus the grey, black tanks control valves. Dealer doing the warranty work corrected the labels. What a confusion at first. I noticed other members have had the same problems and seems like the mfg could get future new units done correctly.
Appears everything is working Okay now accept for the heating floor venting in the living room. I'm getting many different suggestions from other web site members to correct, and now I do not know where to go with this problem. Presently, I'm using a electric heater in the living room to keep it around the same temp as the hallway and bedroom and I should not have to do this for this type of expensive 5th wheel.
We are looking forward to many more years of RV living.

Woody & Joyce
woodrow38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
antiqfreq

Welcome to the Forum - that is an awesome floor plan on your camper.

We traveled fulltime for about a year, now settling down in central Georgia
as family duties require it - or else I'd still be on the road!

Enjoy your new fiver.......ours heats fine, but I never needed the head allover so I just used the propane furnace for getting the chill out then fired up our electric heater to maintain. (Electric is paid for if at a campground so why not use their electricity instead of my propane)

Take care, happy travels,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
geo

Your heat duct is pinched

Woody -

As you can see, I have the same model. In one of my previous posts (I'll try to find it tonight and post here), I found the 50 amp lead-in to the transfer switch was pinching and restricting the duct that leads to the living area. There is a picture also in the Modifications section in my Warm Air Duct post.

Let me know if the helps. And wishing you-all many years of Happy Camping!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
woodrow38

Thanks Ron for the suggestion on the heat duct getting more heat force. I'm not at our unit for another month or so and then I will check this out.
I will go to your warm air duct post.

Woody
Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
woodrow38

Thanks Jo for your experience with your furnace.
We are in very cold country, so we use the furnace a lot. I will be using a electric heater in the living room until I find out what the problem is.

Hopefully you will be out traveling again soon.
Take care,
Woody
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
geo

Post locations

Woody -

Try looking at:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1798

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2001

The first post deals with the pinched air duct and how to CAREFULLY fix it. The second post has the picture with labels.

I'm curious, and you can send me a private message on this, did you have problems with a slow fresh water fill?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
woodrow38

Furnace ducting to living room

Thanks Ron for the info.
I will read this. I'm not at my trailer presently for about a month.

Looks like I will need to take this unit to a dealer and have them correct.

That area in back of the basement wall looks real tight for me to venture back too of the furnace area.

Woody