Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Mroe67

Inverter question

We have a magnum Dimensions 2012 CSW series pure sine wave inverter in our 2019 3120RL. fifth wheel. Plus we have two solar panels on roof. All factory installed. I noticed every once and awhile a loud hum coming from where inverter is mounted. Can’t ever catch a look at the LED status when it does. Tried turning on all the lights to force it on. In the manual it says to plug a load into it and hold the power button one second, it should come on and flash battery voltage. At first it flashes between E00 and L01. Then after a few minutes it started show battery voltage at 13.6 to 13.8. So it seems to work. But no hum. On the LED readout of solar it reads same voltage. It “seems” to be working just every once and awhile it hums.
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two cooling fans mounted on the back face of your inverter. Any chance that the fan blades are dirty, have pet hair, etc on them? Those are essentially "pancake computer fans" and will hum when the blades are dirty/off balance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
Mroe67

I did check them, but It is a brand new RV couldn’t be dirty after only using the unit twice. But thanks for the tip.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
I did check them, but It is a brand new RV couldn’t be dirty after only using the unit twice. But thanks for the tip.
Don't tell that "two trip with a new trailer so it can't be dirty" story in other threads currently being discussed on this forum. One "new owner" found sawdust, spare chunks of trim, Styrofoam, etc in all his cupboards, behind furniture and in the drawers. Another owner found "construction debris" in his cold water plumbing lines. It had blocked the strainer in his toilet flush valve.

To believe that Keystone "cleaned your trailer and vacuumed the storage compartments to prevent strands of fiberglass, sawdust and carpet fibers from getting into your inverter fan, well, I wouldn't want to "bank on it being clean from the factory".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't tell that "two trip with a new trailer so it can't be dirty" story in other threads currently being discussed on this forum. One "new owner" found sawdust, spare chunks of trim, Styrofoam, etc in all his cupboards, behind furniture and in the drawers. Another owner found "construction debris" in his cold water plumbing lines. It had blocked the strainer in his toilet flush valve.

To believe that Keystone "cleaned your trailer and vacuumed the storage compartments to prevent strands of fiberglass, sawdust and carpet fibers from getting into your inverter fan, well, I wouldn't want to "bank on it being clean from the factory".... YMMV

LOL! I’ve had mine a year and sawdust still finds its way out from somewhere every time I move it
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I guess we've been lucky. We did see remnants of sawdust and debris when we got the trailer but haven't had any issues with it. I do however, for some strange reason, sneeze and cough at night constantly trying to clear my mouth/nose. In the AM I have to hit the bathroom and wash my face/clean my mustache/beard/nose hair. I always find debris there along with puppy fur; DW said she doesn't need a vacuum.....my snoring seems to eliminate that need......
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 AM   #7
roadglide

Poor connection causing a relay to chatter battery voltage should be constent if it's wired correct. Have you got on off button for the inverter in side ?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
Mroe67

When we were at the camp site I think we might have had points of time where the voltage dropped very low. I noticed during the night even loosing power twice. That may have triggered an issue with the device. I did double check the fans they were clean
Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #9
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
When we were at the camp site I think we might have had points of time where the voltage dropped very low. I noticed during the night even loosing power twice. That may have triggered an issue with the device. I did double check the fans they were clean
You can order a switch for that inverter plugs right in . I turn my inverter off when I'm gone or at night time .I use a surge protector .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
rbrdriver

What size is the inverter? How many watts output is it? It may not be big enough for the usage.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter