Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
twvette

True king size bed upgrade ...

I thought the mattress in my Fuzion 420 should be good since it was advertised as a good foam type etc. but slowly started to get back pains etc. Not normal for me as I travel a lot and can sleep on really any hotel bed or even the floor just fine typically.

Slowly realized how thin it truly was (8in) and just felt like I was sinking way too deep in it. Was all prepared to order a new King mattress before fully realized it was not truly a King size in width. Made sense as always thought it felt a bit smaller than the King at my house and have just come to expect that nothing is ever "normal" in an RV.

Started reading up on all the "mattresses in a box" to try and make a decision and this made me realized another issue the current mattress has. There is no edge support so really the bed was even smaller as once start rolling toward the edge it just gives way and had to stay a bit more towards the middle.

Took some measurements and even with my bedroom slide seemed I could get away with a true king with just some slight compression of the mattress with slide in.

Realized the modification would be easy as just extending the particle wood base it currently has. Added the missing 8 inches of width using similar thickness board with a few metal plates to join them and a few support feet

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	21617

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	21618

The slide still just pushes in the other side of the spring loaded frame so nothing changes on the side I modified. I space on that side that was previously there was mostly useless as a bit small to really walk in. There is still about a 3in gap so can still reach around mattress if drop anything and to access the electrical plug. Purchased a bed skirt to put around the entire frame so can see my modification at all and its a nice storage spot now too for anything long

The bed truly feels like a couple feet wider now since the new mattress also has proper edge support.

If curious on my mattress choice, I went with the Lucid Latex Hybrid. It was cheap (but not cheapest) and I have an all latex (rare) mattress at home which has been the best ever. The latex does not compress as much as standard foam and not temperature sensitive. The hybrid part is it still has steel coils below the latex, but they are newer smaller type that are also wrapped in foam and I can't feel them at all. Only downside is this mattress is really heavy at like 120lbs in the 10in version. For that weight I could have gone with an all latex one but those are about 3x the cost. We really like the new mattress and no back pain, but will say its a bit on the firm side (this was expected). No issues getting it through the doors as rolled up when delivered. Slide has no problems compressing it a couple inches. One of my favorite upgrades and have done many!!!
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, upgrade