Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
Pmedic4

Question Tire Blowout Protection - anyone else hear about something like this?

I purchased a new boat and trailer this week, and one of the options they were selling as a 'add-on' to the trailer was a Tire Protection Option. According to the finance person presenting this option, the dealership installs a Kevlar belt along with some other products to the inside of the tire and it prevents blowouts and would seal the tire even in the event of a puncture up to 5/8" in size.

It was not cheap, the price offered was $884 for the 4 tires of the trailer, and would also cover the TV for blowout protection in the event of a failure if towing the trailer when it failed. Not sure the length of the protection, but assume 5 years or so. It didn't really sound interesting for the boat trailer, as my expectation for it is to haul the boat to the lake, and then let the trailer sit until I take the boat out in the fall and park it at the storage yard for 5 months.

Sounded more interesting for the RV, and they said they would do it for our fifthwheel. Especially since a blowout on the fifthwheel can do a lot of damage to the RV versus the boat, which based on the shape of the boat I wouldn't expect as much damage. However, getting back to the price, it sure seems like you could replace the 4 tires at 5 years for the $884, and still get 10 years out of the deal versus just 5 years for the protection, and would hope my TPMS would protect against the significant RV damage part of the concern.

Anyone heard of this? Anyone get it, and need to use it?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
busterbrown

A kevlar belt to the inside of the tire? Never heard of it. Dont know how that would strengthen the internal structure of the belts and tread. I'm curious to see what our tire experts have to say.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:42 AM   #3
Pull Toy

Before I spent my money, I'd make sure I was standing right there "Watching the magic happen" during the install.

Probably a better Idea to spend half as much on quality tires.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
UsTwo

I have read, ( don't remember where now) that people have put trailer fenders over the tires on their RV's to protect underneath the trailer.

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I've never heard of it nor can I find anything on any kind of process. I too would ask to watch them do it for someone else first. Sounds more like one of those aftermarket "add ons" that's just so many of the things they offer with a new car.

My thoughts/questions would be; how does a "tire shop" go in and add a kevlar layer inside a new, built to spec/balanced/rounded etc. tire and not affect it? How does it not throw it out of balance? Keep from wearing the tire from the inside out? Does it not void the warrany (if any) on the new tire?

To me it's one of those "thanks, but no thanks" deals.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
jsb5717

Yes, I have heard of Wheel and Tire protection. Many RV Service Contract providers offer it. It's usually about $100+/year but not all are equal. Some only protect the wheels and tires while others also protect whatever they are on against damage caused by a blowout as well as the TV tires.

Hard to say if it's worth it or not. I suppose if I had reasonable protection for my trailer against damage caused by a blowout it might be worth considering. It's just insurance and we pay for it hoping we never need it.

I had that insurance through ProTek on a previous 5er. Don't have one right now.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
ChuckS

Just another way to rip off customers money. Completely useless

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Tbos

My dealer sells a product that is supposed to protect the wheel and held the driver maintain control in the event of a catastrophic failure. It doesn’t prevent a blowout or failure.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Lee

Hi.... Personally I would rather opt for quality tires and a TPMS.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at Tyron. I see them installed on motorhomes all the time on the steer wheels. It keeps the bead on the rim. The price quoted to you is outrageous, out here Tyron’s are like $250.00

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
Number 4

I'd never heard of such a thing but a quick internet search shows several varieties for use in off road bicycle tires. The inner tube presses against the Kevlar strip keeping it in place and even then there was talk of internal tube failure caused by the strip edges.

I also saw TireGard for tractor tires that appears to extend somewhat down the sidewall so I guess that would be good protection, however any puncture through the steel belts will allow water in which creates rust and causes the tire to fail eventually.

That price sounds very high for unproven results, and a good set of four Carlisle tires was less than $500 for me recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	21530  
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I purchased a new boat and trailer this week, and one of the options they were selling as a 'add-on' to the trailer was a Tire Protection Option. According to the finance person presenting this option, the dealership installs a Kevlar belt along with some other products to the inside of the tire and it prevents blowouts and would seal the tire even in the event of a puncture up to 5/8" in size.

It was not cheap, the price offered was $884 for the 4 tires of the trailer, and would also cover the TV for blowout protection in the event of a failure if towing the trailer when it failed. Not sure the length of the protection, but assume 5 years or so. It didn't really sound interesting for the boat trailer, as my expectation for it is to haul the boat to the lake, and then let the trailer sit until I take the boat out in the fall and park it at the storage yard for 5 months.

Sounded more interesting for the RV, and they said they would do it for our fifthwheel. Especially since a blowout on the fifthwheel can do a lot of damage to the RV versus the boat, which based on the shape of the boat I wouldn't expect as much damage. However, getting back to the price, it sure seems like you could replace the 4 tires at 5 years for the $884, and still get 10 years out of the deal versus just 5 years for the protection, and would hope my TPMS would protect against the significant RV damage part of the concern.

Anyone heard of this? Anyone get it, and need to use it?
Sounds like snake oil.......... All tires have Kevlar belts. I think what he was trying to sell was the Extended Tire Warranty and then the Goo sealant that you can squirt inside to seal leaks. There is no magic belt that will keep a low, overheated tire from blowing out.

Watch your tread wear and align if needed. Keep your tire PSI at the Max Pressure is the best insurance.

Any "extended tire warranty" better explicitly state that it will replace all trailer body and frame damage or you will not get paid........maybe for the tire but that is it.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #13
LHaven

Given the number of times I've taken a problem tire in to my tire outlet to be fixed and having them tell me that it can't be fixed and has to be replaced because the damage is somewhere other than neatly in the center section of the tread, I would never pay for "protection" that covers only that section.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #14
Tireman9

1/2" thick thing under the tread will increase the operating temperature which can lead to shorter tire life. If you get a puncture how is that internal belt going to keep the air in the tire? If you lose the air you will end up with a sidewall flex failure. With 40 years an actual tire design engineer (not a salesman) I have worked on and seen numerous ideas but none like what is being offered. How can it "prevent a tire failure? You can buy 4 tires plus an insurance policy for $800.

IMO real snake oil. I would not even deal with a company trying to scare customers into buying that thing.
If they think it will really work I can set up a test program and we can video the results. Bet they would not support a demonstration.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you get a puncture how is that internal belt going to keep the air in the tire?
Plus Kevlar is infamous for being great protection against bullets but next to useless against edged and pointed weapons. I know what most of my road hazards have resembled.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
Tireman9

A better plan and much less expensive too is to.
1. Get, set-up properly and run a TPMS. Good systems will warn as soon as you lose 3 psi.
2. Do a "Free Spin" Inspection once a year or every 1,000 miles or before and after every trip of more than 1,000 miles whichever comes first. The video on my blog shows what to look for - Early signs of belt separation.
3. Run with at least 15% more tire load capacity than the actual load on any one tire.
4. Confirm the actual load on each tire when the RV is loaded at its heaviest.
5. If you run St type tires run no faster than 65 mph, no matter the tire rating and no faster than 75 on LT tires.
6 plan on following the RV company advice on tire life which is probably 4 years or less on multi-axle trailers.
7. Read my blog and get educated on tires in RV application.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
B&T_NF-NY

Hi Tireman9, I'm trying to do what's best for our RV . . Packing bearings, have TPMS etc. Is a free spin just what it sounds like? BTW after this year we're upgrading from load range C to D, we're on the third year this season and wondering about goodyears and or carlisles. Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks all for your advice
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #18
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
Hi Tireman9, I'm trying to do what's best for our RV . . Packing bearings, have TPMS etc. Is a free spin just what it sounds like? BTW after this year we're upgrading from load range C to D, we're on the third year this season and wondering about goodyears and or carlisles. Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks all for your advice
I would agree that by the end of 3 seasons, all tires should be replaced with a quality brand. Both Carlisle Radial trail HDs and Goodyear Endurance have shown good results in the last few years. Maxxis m8008s STs are proven too.

And definitely increase your load range within the specs of your wheels. My trailer tracks and rides better with LRE tires than the OEM LRC. Plus I gained nearly 1000 lbs of load carrying capability per tire. Paired with a TPMS, I have much to worry about at 65 MPH.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
CSM

I think what you’re talking about is a run flat system. I have them installed on my 35’ TT. It will allow you to continue to tow it until you get to a repair shop. Fixing a flat or having a blowout is not fun on the open road. I don’t recall the cost but it was not cheap. It’s all about”what you are willing to tolerate for risk”. The payment written into a loan is negligible. Perhaps a few bucks difference per month.
CSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:16 AM   #20
Sca18

When we bought our camper last year the same was offered to us do a search on amazon kevlar tire sealant kinda like slime or something similar. I thought it was very expensive and was skeptical we declined I think of you have good brand tire and maintain pressure you will be better off I did buy a tire minder tps and feel that money was well spent
Sca18 is offline   Reply With Quote