Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #21
jsb5717

When setting up an online password you are often asked some "secret" questions to help regain that password. Often, one of the questions is "Dream Job?". My answer is "retirement".

Shh...don't tell anyone. It's a secret
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #22
roadglide

Country living here , I'm ready for a road trip and ready to come home and catch up what has been untouched since we left . That's retirement for us .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #23
gearhead

I retired at age 58 in 2008. Spent a year watching our new house being built. Then I got talked into working again for the same company. I worked contract for 5 years. Loved it. Out on my own answering to just one person. No 8am production meetings, no bureaucratic BS. Travelled a lot, from Bellingham WA, to Buffalo NY, to Laredo Texas. I would do it again.
I was very interested in genealogy before we retired. Now when we take a trip we usually tie it into family history.
I would recommend one thing that I wish I had done. Sit down with your parents and a video camera and interview them. Their childhood, their family, etc.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I retired at age 58 in 2008. Spent a year watching our new house being built. Then I got talked into working again for the same company. I worked contract for 5 years. Loved it. Out on my own answering to just one person. No 8am production meetings, no bureaucratic BS. Travelled a lot, from Bellingham WA, to Buffalo NY, to Laredo Texas. I would do it again.
I was very interested in genealogy before we retired. Now when we take a trip we usually tie it into family history.
I would recommend one thing that I wish I had done. Sit down with your parents and a video camera and interview them. Their childhood, their family, etc.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. There were so many tales told about the family, their history etc. by my parents, my extended family and my grandmother - man, the stories. My mom and grandmother grew up on an indian reservation in OK. They used to sing songs in the native indian language that were really pretty....now, all gone. I can sometimes remember the musical notes but the words.....can't remember. Used to make salves that they learned there that actually worked....maybe not pleasant, but functional. A lost art now.

In those days we didn't have video cameras and in some cases I would have been too young to have one, but in this day and age I would encourage anyone/everyone to do what gearhead suggested and document it. Ask the questions, let them reminisce and tell of their lives and the family. When you get to be the "old" one it will be a piece of living history and mean a lot IMO.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #25
Ken / Claudia

Retirement, what's that. I retired at 53, took up another PD job for 2 days a week, that turned out to be 3 or 4 days a week. Wanted to move to the beach house and live ever after. No, I am a sucker for paid job. Sold that home to not have to maintain it. I also took on a council position in the city I live in, part time. After 5 years, I wanted to quit that this year, mayor really wants me to stay, okay. I wanted to write books and yeah got 1 done on #2 now. Told the paid job, I will only work 1 day a week from now on, I have too much to do.
Got to get the boat ready to get some fresh salmon, hope next week the river will be ready. Wife wants the TT ready to go camping, today I will be on the roof cleaning, tomorrow the rest. Publisher expected book #2 in May. Not going to happen, maybe July. Spend this morning getting the spa ready after winter. At least it is working OK.
Only thing I force myself to do daily is to take a nap. Just not when in a police vehicle.
I am enjoying life and it is actually much less stressful than wearing a PD uniform 5 days a week and on call every other week after work.
Someday I will slow down.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #26
gearhead

Yeah Danny many of us have a rich cultural heritage but you have a gold mine. Besides the questions, and answers, I would be interested in, my grandkids would have had a look at my Mom and Dad. It's just not to be. I try to mentally collect the circumstances my parents grew up in. My Mom told a lot of stories about growing up but my Dad was the silent strong type. My Mom went to college but my Dad was on his own early. He followed the timber industry in Louisiana and east Texas until WWII. Then owned a couple small businesses until he became a union Ironworker. I just wish my grandkids had the opportunity to see and listen to their great grandpa that worked many stories in the air walking I-beams.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote