Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #21
CWtheMan

To research a tire’s origin you first must get the plant code off the tire sidewall. In this case “AQ” is the plant code for; CARLISLE TIRE & WHEEL CO. LTD. MEIXIAN, GUANGDONG China.

When you start researching that name and address you soon become aware of just how hard it is to track down any particular “lot”.

https://panjiva.com/Carlisle-Meizhou...Co-Ltd/1038647

But, in the end, what good does it do to find where a tire is made if you don't know the blends of materials that make-up the composition of the end product? The basic build materials are on the tire sidewall. However, the size of those materials are not there. Nor are the compounds. All that information is confidential and you'd need insider information to gain access to them.

Feedback without facts is just someone's lip service.

The best way to work at preventing RV trailer tire failures is to operate them within their designed operational parameters as recommended by vehicle manufacturers.

We have experts telling us all about such things as interplay sheer. Tire manufacturers aren't going to say much about that particular fatiguing action because it can't be prevented. I've got more than 200,000 miles on my trailer and I don't think I could estimate with in a couple hundred times where I've exceeded 60 degree turns getting into tight parking sites. Just pulling into a service station for fuel will often get your trailer into a 45 degree turn.

The experts tell us to use maximum permissible sidewall inflation pressures. Probably more than 90% of all Original Equipment trailer tires are already recommended by their manufacturer for full sidewall pressures. Those of you that have new trailers with the RVIA 10% reserve load capacity should check, I'll bet the trailer manufacturer did it by using the tires 100% load capacity inflation.

There are no hard figures to use with RV trailer tires. They are going to wear out or age out. The wear out is easy, you can see it. The age out is an owner's call. I traveled for more than three years with friends that have a Montana that has a GVWR 100# less than my Everest. Their trailer was a 2005 model with factory installed Uniroyal LT tires. They aged out almost as fast as our ST tires. The difference was their sidewalls would start growing bubbles whereas the ST tires would start to grow taller with initial tread separations.

Who started this up again? I found it late and now I'm going to bed late, again.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #22
notanlines

Chris, I can't expound any further than has already been done. For my money stay with Maxxis, Carlisle, Sailun (if you can make them work) or the Goodyear Endurance. Stay away from Trailer King at all costs.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires