Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
Dblhack

Best Route Poverty Point Reservoir State Park, La to Martin Creek Lake State Park, TX

I will be traveling through Louisiana from Poverty Point Reservoir SP to Martin Creek Lake SP in Texas. According to Google it is less than a 4 hour trip, but only if I travel along I-20. I have seen many posts how I will be lucky if my TT is in one piece if I travel through Louisiana using interstates. Using Google maps, if I use the option to avoid interstates, the time goes up 1-2 hours more.

I might not be too concerned about the extra travel time, except this leg will be towards the end of a 4 week trip and I think the DW will be ready to be home (me too).

So with that in mind, I am looking for advice. Just how bad is I-20? Is it doable if I keep my speed down? Or do I bite the bullet and take an extra couple hours of driving?

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
Ddubya

We took I20 from Tyler to Vicksburg it was not too bad. All of the interstates seem to be in bad shape. I would not be afraid to take it.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Don't worry about it. I travel that route all the time with my trailer. Shreveport will be the worst not only due to the condition of the roads (pretty bad) but the highway routing, which twists and turns and is pretty tight lane wise. That can be compounded by the folks that want to fly thru at 80mph texting and putting on makeup (like most places anymore).

Monroe has some "joints" in the highway coming into town that are unpleasant but not harsh or damaging.

The first time I made that route I had a 1500 with the trailer below. I had P tires as well. I thought I was going to be thrown from the truck and that the highway was next to disintegrated. Upgraded the truck and put higher load range tires on the trailer and I barely even notice it's there. Your truck and trailer should be just fine. Make sure you have the truck and trailer tires aired up and keep the speed down. 55 in Shreveport will get you through without being run off the road generally. The rest of the drive is a piece of cake and is, in fact, some very nice interstate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Dblhack

Thank you both for those responses. I feel better now. Glad I posted the question.

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote