Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
Quiggley

ATV Trail Riders

We have been making progress on our adventures getting out and finding new places to ride. The free mobile app Mud Finder has shown us more than we could ever hope to see. They now have some locations listed that are KOA campgrounds that have trail access.

How many people are "let's go find new places to ride" vs. "we just want to park our RV and go to the same place to ride?"
Quiggley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
CampNBrew2

For us- both!
We have a favorite spot at a mountain lake where we can ride right out of camp (technically cannot ride through camp, we stay near the entrance and push the bike to the gate. I appreciate this rule for the lack of noise and dust.) This is great for the wife and family who only ride sporadically. Plus its very nice after a hot dusty ride to jump in the cold lake.

As well, we are always looking for new spots to explore. Having a dual sport (street licensed) has really opened up the areas to ride. Not sure of your location, here in Kalifornistan ATVs are not allowed on any maintained road. In AZ,UT, MT, and ID they were everywhere but the freeway.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
roadglide

Looking FB mud finders fun to watch .I think I'm serious off road atv guy but no way in he'll would I run my buggy in mud for a sport and then drive it in the garage . I have been looking for areas to rid off road , we put 700 miles in the AZ desert hills in 1 month this year .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggley View Post
We have been making progress on our adventures getting out and finding new places to ride. The free mobile app Mud Finder has shown us more than we could ever hope to see. They now have some locations listed that are KOA campgrounds that have trail access.

How many people are "let's go find new places to ride" vs. "we just want to park our RV and go to the same place to ride?"

I would encourage you to pay careful attention to where the app sends you or what routes it gives you, especially if you see multiple no trespassing signs.

We own a place in the mountains that is accessed by our private roads. From there we have multiple access points into the NF. The access points are from our property, they are not public. Invariably I am running someone off that thinks "if there's a road that takes me to the NF I can run on it"; not so. This past weekend there was a couple I knew had read the signs, ran in front of the house twice then headed to the other side of the valley. I went down, blocked the road and waited for them. They came back and I questioned why they were there - it's a long stupid story, suffice it to say the "20 something" smarted off and tried to push me off with his ATV - until I pulled my shirt aside so he could get a close look at my .40 cal.

Just be respectful of others property and obey the signage. If you want to access public land do so via a public road - not one that seems more cool because "the rest of the public" doesn't use it or an app says to "go that way".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #5
roadglide

Danny more private land owners are doing the same locking gates and fencing off trailes because they can . I a member of Gost riders of Az the last e mail I got said road to castle dome was being closed . The Kofa national forest is going around the private land owners property to allow access Castle Dome . AZ IS CHARGING 25 dollars a year for off road trail . It's a big money for Az we spend a lot of money as groups . Debra and I are seeking out other orginazed atv groups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7790.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	21854  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Danny more private land owners are doing the same locking gates and fencing off trailes because they can . I a member of Gost riders of Az the last e mail I got said road to castle dome was being closed . The Kofa national forest is going a private land owners property to allow access Castle Dome . AZ IS CHARGING 25 dollars a year for off road trail . It's a big money for Az we spend a lot of money as groups . We are seeking out other orginazed atv groups.

Jerry,

I think what we are seeing, us included, is a reaction to a changing society. 2-3 decades ago someone coming in wasn't a big deal; they were nice, courteous and respectful. They gave you their name, told you what/where they wanted to go etc. We would shake hands and they would be off.

Now, people are different. There is no respect or courtesy. I view it as "entitlement". A feeling on the trespasser's part of "you have it, I want it...so I'm going to use it" whether you like it or not. Hence, you see the gates, no trespassing signs (we have lots) and more rigorous enforcement by the land owners or LEO of those private properties.

In years gone by folks wanted to go into the forest, ooh and aah, have a picnic and come back. Now they want to scream down the roads and thru the forest tearing up the roads and damaging the forest. They've even gone in and cut down trees to go where they want to go. Not acceptable. We even had a 250k gallon water storage bladder for emergencies or fire suppression suddenly "explode" one night washing out our road at the top of the mountain. This came, strangely, after we had let a group of older teens hike up our road to the top of the mountain several times. They had gotten a little rowdier each trip but we just wrote it off to being teens....then "boom" goes the bladder....after they had been up there that evening. The loss of the bladder and water, which takes a long time to accumulate from our well system, was bad enough but all the roads belong to US. No one helps pay for the maintenance or repairs - it comes out of our pocket.

In the end it's a sad situation and good folks get caught in the crossfire. From my (the landowner's) perspective it just isn't worth trying to screen folks when they come in. The last time we did the first excuse I got from the next person I stopped was...("you let them use the trails so we figured we could too"). The answer? I'm afraid there isn't one short term as our society "devolves" and continues to unravel.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
CampNBrew2

sourdough,
So sorry you have had to deal with this. I agree that its only getting worse. Attitudes like theirs are what is killing the access to places to ride.
I have been screamed at for other dirt bikers actions. Once we spoke and I let them know I would not tolerate this behavior if I saw a fellow rider acting this way, the guy calmed down. Found some punk kids down the trail tearing up the side of a hill, off the trail and chewed their butts.
Its no wonder people want to shut down motorized access. Littering, destruction of property, no respect for others on the trail or roads, uncorked exhaust, and on and on.
Several groups I belong to have trail work days to help out the USFS with trail maintenance and clearing, erosion control, signage, etc. I wish this community service would be imposed on people destroying property, or riding in sensitive closed off areas. But stupid is as stupid does...
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote