Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #31
Firstimer

We have had our TT for a year and a half. We took the advice from this forum( on almost everything we did basically!) . Took our first 2 trips within half hr from home. Glad we did.

One thing I will always do, is get out of the vehicle right before we pull away, for a last walk around. I have found vents up, chocks behind a wheel, window open. The other big thing we just learned is to check the weather for wind if you leave the awning out at night.
Also, the awning angles so that rain doesnt collect and rip it off the trailer! We saw that happen to a long time rv' er at our last trip. Rain and wind took off his awning. We would never thought of that!!
Have fun!

Firstimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #32
MattHelm21

I’m a bit of a techie. I keep my checklists in Microsoft OneNote. That places copies on my phone, tablet, and DW’s phone, all of which are in sync. While she is checking off items inside on her phone, I’m checking off items outside on my phone and I can go through the list one final time on the iPad in the truck since its mounted and being used for navigation to check off the final items relating to configuring the truck for travel.

Once complete, highlight the whole list, remove the checkboxes digitally and re-add them and they are blank and you’re ready to run the list for the next trip.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #33
LewisB

Look up and down!

I certainly agree with all the comments regarding checklists. Additionally, I try to think in terms of driving in a “tunnel”. When driving the car, we are trained to look left and right, ahead and back. With an RV you also need to look up as well as down. Your visual assessment must include items that would not be a hazard for your car; tree limbs, Low bridges, hanging wires, deep potholes, curbs on a tight corner; you get the idea. That same thinking applies when you are preparing to leave. Step away from your rig and think in terms of the circle all the way around the rig; are there things sticking up? Are there things hanging down? So always think of your rig as existing in a circle or a tunnel Rather than just left and right, front and back.
Hope that helps – you’ll have a great time with your new rig. Every trip should be an adventure!
LewisB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #34
notanlines

Lewis, "hanging wires," truer words were never spoken! The regulars here already know my story. Hurricane damaged cable that wasn't repaired properly by the cable company. Almost $18,000 damage, repaired perfectly by Camping World. And handled to a T by their insurance company, Liberty Mutual with cooperation from my Geico Insurance.
NEVER assume, NEVER assume. My, such language I used!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	21790  
2017 Mobile Suites
21K Demco auto-slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #35
Roscommon48

lots to learn....just go for it.

as my wife tells me....'first day, first ding' you'll do fine, just take it slow.

just remember when connecting/disconnectiong DON'T HAVE SOMEONE TALKING TO YOU!
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #36
jimborokz

CG's near you

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
Welcome from Western New York. This is great site with great people. Ask away . . There will always be somebody here that can help! We stayed close to home for our first trip and glad we did, needed a tool or two, more pillows etc. Hope you have a safe and happy experience. Bruce and Tina
DW's cousin lives in Lewiston and we'd like to visit her this summer. Can you recommend any campgrounds in your area?
Thanks
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #37
B&T_NF-NY

There's a koa down in Lewiston on pletcher Rd, has full hookup, very basic. . . Was our first. Compared to others we've been to after I would only recommend it for location only, wasn't bad just not great. There's Branches on Grand Island (nice) about 15 minutes away but you have to traverse the grand island bridges to get to Lewiston. Stay away from the ones on Niagara Falls Blvd (rte 62). Not sure about lazy lakes . . It used to be a time share but I could be wrong. There are some nice State Parks but usually very limited hookups. I will ask around and get back to you ASAP.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #38
B&T_NF-NY

You also might check out the koa on Grand Island - have driven past it dozens of times but never checked it out, seems nice. You will get some highway noise there from the 190.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #39
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
DW's cousin lives in Lewiston and we'd like to visit her this summer. Can you recommend any campgrounds in your area?
Thanks
This will provide you with info on plenty of private campgrounds in the area (use the greater Niagara region):

https://www.nycampgrounds.com/

Like B&T said, there are also state parks in the area (Four Mile Creek State Park is really close).

Not sure what your preferences are for facilities.

I believe Lazy Lakes is still a time share place. The Grand Island KOA seemed quite expensive to me when I was looking for a place at the end of April...it was at least $110/night for full hook-ups...for that time of year, it seemed way overpriced to me. The Branches of Niagara was around $75/night for the same timeframe.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #40
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
This will provide you with info on plenty of private campgrounds in the area (use the greater Niagara region):

https://www.nycampgrounds.com/

Like B&T said, there are also state parks in the area (Four Mile Creek State Park is really close).

Not sure what your preferences are for facilities.

I believe Lazy Lakes is still a time share place. The Grand Island KOA seemed quite expensive to me when I was looking for a place at the end of April...it was at least $110/night for full hook-ups...for that time of year, it seemed way overpriced to me. The Branches of Niagara was around $75/night for the same timeframe.
Thanks, good resource. We don't do much local camping in the summer as we're in the RV all winter and our s&b is in a resort area in the Adirondacks.

Also most of the state park in our region only have small sites and no hookups so I tend to over look state parks. I will certainly look these over and give consideration. Thanks again

jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote