Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #1
rjrelander

Rim Reccomendation

Finally got the trailer out of storage and took some measurements. The tires that came with the trailer were Sterling Sport ST205/75R14 LRD and I've got about 3" back clearance, 2" front clearance and 3" top clearance in the wheel well. In earlier posts, I was considering going to a 15" wheel for extra reserve capacity but looking at it now, I don't want to lose an inch of clearance on the top and they are 5 lug hubs on a 4 1/2" bolt hole so I didn't want to deal with that on larger rims either.

So, the current tires are rated at 2040# and the only other 14" tires with a higher rating are the ST215/75R14 LRD at 2200#. (Ideally, I would like to have found ST205/75R14 LRE tires but those don't appear to exist.) The ST215 tires are only about 1/2" wider than the ST205 and will still run on a 5 1/2" wide rim. They are also the tires that are now fitted on newer models of our trailer after the RVIA load reserve increase.

My question is, does anyone have recommendations for a 2200# capacity 14" rim at 65 PSI? 5 lug hubs on a 4 1/2" bolt hole. Preferably one that looks halfway decent with the trailer and doesn't cost more than the tire.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
Just chillin

I guess I’m confused. So why are you wanting to change the wheels? Is it just ugly or something? You can get a higher capacity rated tire on your wheel that already comes up to more than the axles rating is. I bet you’re going to pay at least 100 to 120 apiece for a nice looking wheel and center cap.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
KSH

I ordered my wheels from these guys https://extremecustoms.com call americas tires, they had many. Wife wanted black wheels so it was a bit harder for me.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just chillin View Post
I guess I’m confused. So why are you wanting to change the wheels? Is it just ugly or something? You can get a higher capacity rated tire on your wheel that already comes up to more than the axles rating is. I bet you’re going to pay at least 100 to 120 apiece for a nice looking wheel and center cap.
Good point. I had it in my head that I needed 2200# capacity wheels to match the 2200# load rated tires but that is not the case. I will not be (and have no intention of) exceeding the 4000# axle rating. I am just upgrading the tires to get the extra reserve capacity on the rubber tires but still have the single 4000# axle and springs so I shouldn't need any more than the original 2040# capacity on the steel wheels.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if Carlilse has any plans to produce a Radial Trail HD ST215/75R14 LRD or if anyone is talking about coming out with an ST205/75R14 LRE tire? I would like to go with Carlisle tires, but right now I will be going with the Goodyear Endurance since they are the only name brand that I could find with an ST215/75R14 LRD tire. The tire options for a single 4000# axle are kind of limited.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
Good point. I had it in my head that I needed 2200# capacity wheels to match the 2200# load rated tires but that is not the case. I will not be (and have no intention of) exceeding the 4000# axle rating. I am just upgrading the tires to get the extra reserve capacity on the rubber tires but still have the single 4000# axle and springs so I shouldn't need any more than the original 2040# capacity on the steel wheels.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if Carlilse has any plans to produce a Radial Trail HD ST215/75R14 LRD or if anyone is talking about coming out with an ST205/75R14 LRE tire? I would like to go with Carlisle tires, but right now I will be going with the Goodyear Endurance since they are the only name brand that I could find with an ST215/75R14 LRD tire. The tire options for a single 4000# axle are kind of limited.
You really do need the extra load capacity reserves the ST215/75R14 LRD tires will provide. As you have already surmised, you don't need new wheels. Just new valve stems. The 2200# load capacity of the 215 tires barely meets the RVIA 10% load capacity reserve recommendation for your vehicle certified GAWR.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote