Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
linux3

Why you didn't buy enough truck

We belong to a fair size activity group. OK, OK older activity group.
Fads come and go and it appears the latest fad is RV'ing.
We got our TT in '16 and a few others did and we have been having a few group outings like to Maine and VA and such. More people are buying TT's and all too often they just will not listen to advice.

Case in point. Older Silverado with the 4.8L V8 nothing special low end Work Truck. Owner buys a 27.5' TT with a dry weight of 7k'ish. I tried (we actually) to talk him out of it but the salesman said "No Problem". Owner says "Hey, I have this massive V8.

I blame Honda and Hyundai and such. Little 1.5L turbo engines and "performance" 2.0L has convinced these people that a 4.8L V8 can tow the world.
A pickup is HUGE I must be able to pull anything. Can it carry anything. Sigh.

BTW, above owner has added leaves to the springs and air bags and doesn't like trips and will not talk to some of us. I personally would NEVER say I told you so.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
FlyingAroundRV

And some of these people come on the forums here seeking affirmation that their undersized truck " will be OK" towing their TT or 5er. They get disappointed with the responses here too.
Seems the best we can hope for is to not be near these people when it goes pear shaped out on the highway.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
And some of these people come on the forums here seeking affirmation that their undersized truck " will be OK" towing their TT or 5er. They get disappointed with the responses here too.
Seems the best we can hope for is to not be near these people when it goes pear shaped out on the highway.
Yep, that was me. After understanding what was wrong with my combo, I made it right. Wasn't easy (financially or otherwise) but was necessary. And I feel better about the safety and proper use of the equipment.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
BTW, above owner has added leaves to the springs and air bags and doesn't like trips and will not talk to some of us. I personally would NEVER say I told you so.
You don't have to say anything. He got the "I told you so" message loud and clear. That explains why he is trying to "fix" the problem with aftermarket suspension parts and has gone silent.
Maybe transmission parts scattered in the road behind his stalled TV will be a good hint,then maybe not. Some folks just don't get it.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #5
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
You don't have to say anything. He got the "I told you so" message loud and clear. That explains why he is trying to "fix" the problem with aftermarket suspension parts and has gone silent.
Maybe transmission parts scattered in the road behind his stalled TV will be a good hint,then maybe not. Some folks just don't get it.
RMc
As of last weekend his transmission died a nasty death in the hills of Western PA.
You called it right.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #6
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
As of last weekend his transmission died a nasty death in the hills of Western PA.
You called it right.
No escaping reality
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Firewall

Certainly agree that many RV's stress the limits of trucks and some are not aware of the issues they could face. But I see as many if not more passenger cars on their way to a vacation at the beach with a family of six packed into a small SUV with the suit cases in the back, Thule on the roof, three or four bikes on the back, a cooler on the front bumper and a utility trailer in tow! Probably more "pin weight" than my 5th wheel lol.
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
Certainly agree that many RV's stress the limits of trucks and some are not aware of the issues they could face. But I see as many if not more passenger cars on their way to a vacation at the beach with a family of six packed into a small SUV with the suit cases in the back, Thule on the roof, three or four bikes on the back, a cooler on the front bumper and a utility trailer in tow! Probably more "pin weight" than my 5th wheel lol.
The thing about that little SUV is that when it decides to go "sideways" there's not a 10-15,000lb. projectile being loosed behind it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The thing about that little SUV is that when it decides to go "sideways" there's not a 10-15,000lb. projectile being loosed behind it.
Very valid. After learning a ton here (no pun intended) I went and checked the door sticker on my Mazda CX-9 and was pleased to see it had like 1200# payload. That was actually surprisingly good and definitely not something I have ever come close to pushing.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

What I read that some state when replying to will my truck tow my trailer that is useless to everyone. "I do it and it is FINE." What does that mean and what is it based on, no one ever explains how they come up with FINE and or defines FINE. Fine can be subject to each and everyone's opinion based on vehicles and experience. If fine means travel in the slow lane due to TV lacks power to pass, trailer sways as trucks pass, will not travel when windy, goes through TV brakes like gas in it's tanks, rear of TV is squatting, rear tires on TV nearly on sidewalls and over any of the listed truck weights is that fine.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
What I read that some state when replying to will my truck tow my trailer that is useless to everyone. "I do it and it is FINE." What does that mean and what is it based on, no one ever explains how they come up with FINE and or defines FINE. Fine can be subject to each and everyone's opinion based on vehicles and experience. If fine means travel in the slow lane due to TV lacks power to pass, trailer sways as trucks pass, will not travel when windy, goes through TV brakes like gas in it's tanks, rear of TV is squatting, rear tires on TV nearly on sidewalls and over any of the listed truck weights is that fine.
My personnel favorite, when they know they are overloaded but not willing or acknowledge it is......"I hardly know it's back there" That's one of those..."When their lips are moving, you know they're lying" statements.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
Blackrock

Right now everyone is Gaga over the Ford F150 as the ideal tow vehicle. Check out this story and you can see where having the power to tow the load does not mean that the truck has the drivetrain capable of doing the job.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartandhp

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #13
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Right now everyone is Gaga over the Ford F150 as the ideal tow vehicle. Check out this story and you can see where having the power to tow the load does not mean that the truck has the drivetrain capable of doing the job.

I would think that having a truck in 4x4, no traction control and reving the engine to 2500 rpm before releasing the brake with 8000 lbs of dead weight all on a surface designed to reduce wheel spin will do significant damage to any truck regardless of size.
I don’t see this as a valid test of durability or ability.

Just stay within the ratings of the truck and your fine. No unrealistic testing needed.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post

I saw an ad for the F-150 and having 13,000 pounds plus of towing capacity. Hmm. That may explain a photo I saw on another forum of an F-150 towing a Grand Design Solitude fiver. Now, my fifth wheel has a GW of 15,000 pounds, pin weight of 2350 lbs and is 35 feet in length. It is not a low or mid profile RV. I tow it with a Ram 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin transmission and factory 5th wheel prep. I still have some cushion weight wise. I can't picture the F-150 with anything close to 13,000 pounds going up over the passes in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and attempting to keep the speeds down on the down slope.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
I saw an ad for the F-150 and having 13,000 pounds plus of towing capacity. Hmm. That may explain a photo I saw on another forum of an F-150 towing a Grand Design Solitude fiver. Now, my fifth wheel has a GW of 15,000 pounds, pin weight of 2350 lbs and is 35 feet in length. It is not a low or mid profile RV. I tow it with a Ram 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin transmission and factory 5th wheel prep. I still have some cushion weight wise. I can't picture the F-150 with anything close to 13,000 pounds going up over the passes in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and attempting to keep the speeds down on the down slope.
I think a good venture to get into would be to open a transmission shop at the top of the pass and a brake shop at the bottom of each side.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think a good venture to get into would be to open a transmission shop at the top of the pass and a brake shop at the bottom of each side.
^^^^If anyone could figure out how, 2 good locations would be at the top of Wolf Creek Pass and at the bottom toward Pagosa Springs at the pull out by Silver Falls. Seems there's always a vehicle, truck, RV or etc. pulled over with something "smoking".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
yesiamapirate

I am in the " just barely enough truck" club. To answer your question: I had my truck first then bought the trailer. I fell in love with this particular trailer, even though it is bigger than I had planned.....It falls within specs of all weights so all is well. We have pulled it on several trips now, wind and rain included. That said, my next truck will be upgraded in case we decided to go bigger yet on the trailer.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
Snoking

We are now over trucked after roofing our 39' 5th at our summer RV park. And buying a little commuter bumper pull. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180926_184021.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	21789  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

I keep saying I am going to down size to a smaller truck ever since I had a my 1st 3/4 ton. Well it happened I got a 02 ranger for the daily driver until that wore out. Tow vehicles, 1 ton officially on on 3rd. Current truck will pull the TT for the 1st time this week, hope it is up to the task. If not I have a trailblazer I can try.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #20
xrated

As most of you know, I recently bought another brand and I am a member there also, plus three of the facebook pages pertaining to the brand, model and exact model number that I have. If you think it's BAD here, to use an old phrase....."You ain't seen nothin yet". At least on here, folks will come on and ask opinions about their truck/trailer combo and many times, after many of us offer up why it is not adequate (or it may be), they get the message and proceed to do what they can to rectify their under sized tow vehicle. On the facebook pages,the ones that inquire, are sometimes open to listening about why their combo is undersized. But just as sure as a few of us (the dreaded weight police) come along and offer up the facts of why they are overloaded, some meat stick (usually a bunch of meat sticks), will post right up behind you and tell them that they need to ignore the weight police because according to them, you need a Dually to pull a pop up camper. One guy I recently tried to set straight has looked at the payload numbers, based on the "maximum towing capacity" for that one ton truck. I tried to explain it was not the correct number to use, that he needed to look on the door sticker for the number for HIS truck....not an ad or brochure. He basically told me I didn't have a clue and that was wrong. Well, I added in some more less than kind remarks and just had to let it go. I swear, there is a metric sh!t ton of stupid over there.....but I keep trying.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote